Sign in to follow this  
Vincentvandenberg

Big bag needed to transport lots of gear

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sometimes I have to transport a large amount of gear between my bases in Puerto Vallarta and Cancun.

The gear I need to transport:

Leica m9

50mm Noctilux f/1

50mm Summicron f/2

35mm Summicron f/2

W.A.T.E.

Canon 5D mk2

70-200 f/2.8 is L

24-70 f/2.8 L

50 mm f1.4

100 mm macro f2.8

fisheye

Canon 580 flashgun

2x nikon sb 28

2 x pocket wizard

portable external hard drive

17 inch Macbook pro

Do does anyone know what bag would fit all of this stuff? I like the look for the Billingham 550 but can't seem to find out if it will fit my 17 inch macbook pro?

Any suggestions?

I'm a huge fan of Domke bags. They come in a range of sizes to suit all requirements. I have two. One of them holds an M and a couple of lenses and the other can hold a full DSLR setup or even my full medium fomrat kit.

what about a tamrac expedition 8x - comes with a 17" compartment? i owned one during my dslr times but sold it due to its huge size but i guess it would fit your gear.

For this much gear, and for transport only as opposed to a shooting bag, I'd look into the Think Tank line. They're used by many sports shooters and others who need to carry a lot of stuff.

I have similar needs and I transport my Leicas and 4 lenses and the Sinar-M system with four AF lenses, grips, a tripod head and my 17 inch MBP etc. in a 86 series KATA organizer. The KATA has a trolley.

A Mountainsmith rucksack is a way to go if you do not need a trolley.

Yevgeny

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think that by the time you've also added in the 'extras' such as batteries, power supplies, cables, cards, discs, card-reader, reflectors, cleaning kit and all the other essential miscellaneous kit that tends to find its way into our bags, you are looking at at a cabin trunk and at least one porter.

I have the Billingham 550 and my Macbook Air fits in with huge amount of room to spare. I believe that people put the 17" in the Hadley Pro and the 550 has much more laptop room than the Hadley Pro. I have the M9, 50 Noct, 35mm, 90 Cron, 28 Cron and a Nikon D3 and a whole bunch of Nikon glass. If you really are serious about the 550 then I could try and pack a representative collections including Speedlights and Pocket Wizards. Let me know,

Ian

I use a Lowepro D650 Stealth Reporter which is as large as I'd want to carry about but I don't think it will take a 17" laptop, I use a 15" when travelling.

Look at the Think Tank range

Pro Camera Bags, Camera Backpacks, Digital Camera Bags: Think Tank Photo

probably the rolling bags if you only want to transport equipment from A to B, or the backpacks if you carry it all around with you regularly. They are the best made (and best designed) camera bags I have ever come across.

Steve