Just ordered M8..first post! Help me choose first lenses

PayPerView

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mmmmm.. GAS attack already?:D

Congratulations from what I hear it is a great lens, f/2.5 is fast enough for most applications. Starting the rangefinder experience with only a 90 mm must be a weird (= non-standard) experience. Focussing a 90mm is not quite so easy as a 28 or 35mm, but when you get the hang of it you will be very happy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My head is killing me with all of this...I am working full time trying to actually take pictures but am spending at least 1/2 my time buying gear, paper, Epson ink and endless supplies..

I also am expecting a Panasonic LX10 and a Canon 5D II Kit 24-105..So I will have four cameras, endless lenses and no more excuses not to be shooting almost every day or at least in most situations.

If it goes well with the M8 and I get an M9, who knows what I wind up with using most of the time.

I just want to stop shopping and keep shooting!

I know the 90mm is a great lense for the M9, a bit long for the M8 and as you posted, seemingly harder to focus.

What on earth are you going to do with a 5DII and a 24-105 when you are building up an M kit :confused::confused: For macro and tele I can understand, but a medium-range zoom, and a good one, but not a brilliant one at that:rolleyes:

What on earth are you going to do with a 5DII and a 24-105 when you are building up an M kit :confused::confused: For macro and tele I can understand, but a medium-range zoom, and a good one, but not a brilliant one at that:rolleyes:

lol..Here's why...I use the 24-105 L all the time and the one I have needs to go back to Canon for service and I don't want to be without it. I have a pretty full kit of Canon lenses as it is but also the deal for the kit was too good to pass up at B&H..I can sell one of the 24-105's but probably won't.

The 5D II is an incredible camera, with amazing ISO performance. It's the camera I will keep in my car at all times, probably with a 50 1.4 lense and one of the 24-105s and an extra 580 flash I already have.

I know the M8 is not going to replace the 5D II in that role and the M9 probably wouldn't either.

I do love the 24-105 F4 lense though...It's a great range, good weight and size and an amazing value in this kit from B&H at $3300 with the 5D II!

Yeah, I haven't picked up my Canon gear in months. Dump the 5DMII and the L for a 28 cron.

I'm sitting here playing with my M8 and please don't tell anyone I did this but I held a Canon 35mm 1.4 against the M8 body and took a few pics...I was going to post them in a new thread entitled, "My first pics with my new M8!!"....but I hate those kind of threads..

I hope I never sell my Canon Gear. I think using the Leica is going to make me a better photographer..Back to basics..I could be wrong of course..

I cannot complain about my Canon. I've had most of their bodies and even had a 5D II that I sold and bought the 1ds3...but I miss the exceptional low light performance and size of the 5D II and need a second body anyway.

I've spent a couple of hours viewing images taken with the M8 and that just made it even more exciting.

maybe i can get just one more Leica lense for the M9...nooooooo.....

Why waiting for 25 Feb. to have your first lens ? You are in New York, I see...go downtown, and spend 100 to 200 $ for an Elmar 50 or Summar 50, or Hektor 135... impossible you don't find one for sale in N.Y.C. :)

I think the 35mm is coming tomorrow!

Got my Panasonic LX3 today...gonna be busy!

Hi,

Can you share some of your filters/photos that take advantage of the IR. I am very interested in turning this "weaknesses" into a creative opportunity.

Thanks,

Alberto

I just read this contribution and additional to the 35 mm I would recommend the Summilux 50mm asph. It is a beautiful lens on the M8 and also on the M9 if you decide one day to buy the M9.

The M8 (M8.2) is really perfect for taking infrared pictures, because of the missing IR Filter directly before the Sensor. This allows taking the pictures without a tripod.

There are different kinds of IR Filter. My favourite IR Filter is the Hoya R72. This filter is a bit diaphanous which means that the taken picture has rest colour beside the "wood effect". Which filter you may choose depends on your preferences.

Please find enclosed a link where you can see some of my taken IR pictures.

LFI Gallery - Infrarot

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,

Anke

Better photographer? With all the gear you have how can you expect to become a better photographer? And better for who? Most good photographers who are not professional try to simplify their kit rather than add to it.

Photography should be a simple pleasure - the simple pleasure of composing an image. Too many options and the composition is lost and so is the enjoyment. I have GAS just as much as anyone but I have to keep reminding myself of the pointlessness of new gear. We all desire the things we don't have but I wonder if it's not better to be contented with the things we already have.

Better photographer? With all the gear you have how can you expect to become a better photographer? And better for who? Most good photographers who are not professional try to simplify their kit rather than add to it.

Photography should be a simple pleasure - the simple pleasure of composing an image. Too many options and the composition is lost and so is the enjoyment. I have GAS just as much as anyone but I have to keep reminding myself of the pointlessness of new gear. We all desire the things we don't have but I wonder if it's not better to be contented with the things we already have.

Like I didn't see this one coming..lol..

As you say in the post '...but i have to keep reminding myself of the pointlessness of new gear"...

With all due respect, that's fine for you to remind yourself of this fact. By 'better' photographer I am referring to a couple of things that might not be issues to you.

Having a small point and shoot will make me a 'better' photographer because I actually will have the camera when otherwise it's not practical or appropriate to have a larger camera.

The other camera's each have their place and uses.

The difference the Leica 'might' help me being a 'better photographer' is that the SIZE and controls. Sometimes a 1 series Canon attracts too much attention in situations I am not comfortable in. Not to mention the weight of the beast with particular lenses!

There is nothing wrong with being contented with the things we have. Some of my best images were taken with older much 'inferior' cameras.

But each of my carefully chosen tools is for a specific reason and will be used as such.

I am a full time photographer. And will be traveling a great deal in the next few weeks, months and years. I am lucky enough to get what I need for the purposes that I want.

I just read your post again about simplifying kits rather than add to them. This is true for me as well. But I didn't and don't need to share each strategic sale of this or that lense or camera as it's not really interesting or germane to the topic of this particular thread.

To be even more clear, no camera is going to make me a 'better' photographer in any significant way. That's really obvious. But having the right tool for the right situation (including the importance of actually HAVING the camera with me) WILL make me a more active and therefore 'better' photographer.

These kind of conversations are inevitable and always come from another photographers own struggle with this issue, whether it is because they do not have the funds to get the tools they want, the guilt that they want to get new tools or the inability to understand that an other photographer is just different in how he or she approaches the entire issue of gear selection.

To me, it's rather meaningless. When the right time comes I might get a MF camera...I have no idea now..

Each new camera requires work to learn and know it properly...not to mention the work involved in buy and selling.

But as they say...."This is the life we have chosen"...

Good luck with your own choices and decisions.

Edited by PayPerView

Wow! I actually received my 35mm lense today! amazing!

It's even better looking and feeling that I had even imagined! It even came with the lens hood...What a deal...so happy!

I just took a few quick snapshots and am searching for an SD card reader..I ordered one but have not received it yet..

Hopefully I can open these images up and post some tests...(if anyone cares that is..)

I can see it's going to take some getting used to...I have an issue with my right eye (I had optic neuritis last year and lost a bit of fine focus in my right eye and I am right eye dominant. My left eye is more accurate and I'll see how I adapt to using a Rangefinder.

But first impressions (only 10 minutes of playing) were great..

The simplicity, the build quality, the fit and finish...all of it are just incredible...

Let's see how the images are! lol.

It will take a bit of practice and getting used to but the M8 is pretty much exactly what I expected a Leica to be..There is something magical about this camera and the images it can produce. I don't want to sound like a new found religion zealot but it's just fantastic!

Of course I already feel the desire and the need actually for an M9..this camera is of course suited to lower ISO and outside or lit conditions.

I am overwhelmed with new gear quite honestly..The LX3, 5D II and the Leica M8 with 35mm 2.0 summicron are all sitting next to eachother...I will snap a shot with their big brother the 1ds3!

I am blessed to be able to have all these amazing tools and will be working on learning the ins and outs of them and planning a trip very soon.

Oddly the LX3 seems to be the hardest to learn..The manual is horrible and not at all simple or clear to understand.

It's a good illustration of what draws me to the simplicity and directness, not to mention the incredible image quality of the M8!

Went for a short walk near my house to take a few pictures...Getting a feel for the focusing I think...Will be more fun learning inside or in a nice warm place...brrr...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The M8 felt good in my hands..albeit cold hands...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!