Just ordered M8..first post! Help me choose first lenses

PayPerView

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys

Been lurking on this site and just joined. I shoot with Canon, currently a 1ds3 and love it.

But sometimes it's just too heavy and intimidating to use and a Leica might make best sense for me. I love records and turntables, old cars and simple yet beautiful things.

I really want an M9 of course but before I spring for that and a full kit, I thought it prudent to pick up a M8 used and see how I like it.

I just bought one and it's on the way to me.

I am posting for lens suggestions...I am a bit confused about the lens lineup from Leica and will be reading up on it.

My new site (unfinished!) is:

mark-brownphotography.com

I am largely interested in street photography and do plan on keeping and using my DSLR as I don't think the Leica will be the end all camera but hopefully I love it and get a M9 if I do.

What lenses might be best for me..I am thinking a 35mm 1.4 and a longer lense.

I learned only recently that the M8 is not full frame which bothers me but it's worth starting with it to see how I like using Leica's!

Thanks for reading and I am excited about being an active part of this community!

Mark

Edited by PayPerView

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am in exactly the same situation - but 4 months on.

1Ds3 and 1D3 and a range of Canon and 3rd party glass are my mainstay.

Bought a used M8 4 months ago and have loved it.

It has taken me back to basics and made me stop and think because I have had to - good discipline not only for the Leica but also for the Canons !

What I have done is buy a number of Voigtlander lenses from Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest (good guy to deal with ) - much much cheaper than either Leica or Zeiss glass so one has the chance to fully explore the M8.

Assuming all goes on as it has to date I will get an M9 and Leica / Zeiss glass in a few months' time on the basis of some real experience - and possibly keep some of the CV's at least.

Also read Sean Reid at Reid Reviews - one of the very best sources of Leica advice and, indeed, photographic advice in general - he has saved me hours of tribulation and plenty of dollars.

Good luck with your M8 - hope you enjoy it as much as I am doing with mine.

I am in exactly the same situation - but 4 months on.

1Ds3 and 1D3 and a range of Canon and 3rd party glass are my mainstay.

Bought a used M8 4 months ago and have loved it.

It has taken me back to basics and made me stop and think because I have had to - good discipline not only for the Leica but also for the Canons !

What I have done is buy a number of Voigtlander lenses from Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest (good guy to deal with ) - much much cheaper than either Leica or Zeiss glass so one has the chance to fully explore the M8.

Assuming all goes on as it has to date I will get an M9 and Leica / Zeiss glass in a few months' time on the basis of some real experience - and possibly keep some of the CV's at least.

Also read Sean Reid at Reid Reviews - one of the very best sources of Leica advice and, indeed, photographic advice in general - he has saved me hours of tribulation and plenty of dollars.

Good luck with your M8 - hope you enjoy it as much as I am doing with mine.

Thank you for that informative post!

My natural style and old school habits might make me suited to be a perfect Leica user. I read another thread from a D3 user who was disappointed with his Leica but read that he has only been a photographer for 3 years (I could be wrong), also his shots, while fantastic seemed much more suited for a fast DSLR like a D3.

I won't be selling my Canon gear any time soon or ever. I unfortunately don't see the Leica lightening up my bag, in fact I imagine I'd take it and my Canon and several lenses on my next shoot. I'm sure of it in fact.

What I night be shedding are zooms and mostly using primes for travel or at least some of my travel (depending of course on location).

I probably will want to get the best glass I can get regardless although price might scare me off from that.

I'll check out your links and information right away. I need a lense before my M8 get's here so I don't go nuts having it and not being able to use it!

I really don't like shooting with a crop camera and that's going to make my lense choices a bit harder..

Have some homework to do!

Thanks again for the post!

Edited by PayPerView

If you think you'l suffer the crop, maybe your first lens ought to be one just to make clear to you if you like the Leica M shooting style... thinking of M9 as the real investiment in case of positive feedback: in this case, you can decide to go cheap with a 28mm (35 mm equiv. due to crop) from Voigtlander : there are a f2 and a supercompact f 3.5.

But you write also :

"I probably will want to get the best glass I can get regardless although price might scare me off from that."

If you want choose on this basis, there is a lens you'll never complain of: the Summicron 35 asph; onto M8 is around like a 50mm... anyway a focal that has a sense, and if one day you'll have a M9, a superb "real" 35 mm for it.

I bought the M8 more than 3 years ago and started this "tip your toe into the water" lens thing with one Leica (28 Elmarit asph) and CVs otherwise. Eventually, I ended with Leica glass only, except for the CV 12 and 15. Although CV lenses are good to excellent performers, you'll always feel the urge and desire to upgrade.

With hindsight, I would selectively buy used Leica lenses, eg Cron 28 or Cron 35 asph, use it extensively and build the lens line up from there. The risk of loosing money with used Leica lenses is low. Particularly used 35 crons asph are a bargain, and if a later FF upgrade is planned, it's a "must have" focal length.

I would not disagree in any way from the proposition that if one sticks with Leica Ms then Leica glass is inevitable in the future.

However my point was to experience for oneself the different lengths and speeds before that expense - a gentle initiation is perhaps better than an immediate plunge - unless the expense is of no consequence of course.

One should also beware 'lens snobbery' and one of the best treatments for that is to read Erwin Puts comments on the CV offerings and his comparisons with all but the latest 'real' lenses for M's.

(Like some others here I read recently of audio cables costing several thousands of dollars and chuckled to my 'now truly old self' about the failings of my 'erstwhile old self') !!!

Enjoy your M8 - whatever lens you put on it you are likely to do just that.

I was advised to get a 28mm and a 50mm - and it was great advice.

At this point, since you are testing the waters, I would consider getting CVs or used Leica lenses --- just in case you find out that RFs are not for you.

Alberto

PS I you like turntables, vinyl and vintage things - things from simpler times - I have a feeling you'll love shooting with the M8. I am very much like you in terms of taste and I would not trade my M8 (or Digilux 2 for that matter) for the fanciest/most expensive DSLR.

I like the M8, and it's infrared contamination problem has been a boon for me because of it's IR photo capability with the right filter. So far so good. My normal is the 35/2 ASPH and the wide is the Voigtlander 25/4 (not the rangefinder coupled one) which I like very much. If I were working to a tighter budget, I'd try the Voigtlander 35, maybe look on Luminous Landscape for reviews. I think I'd buy the Voigtlanders from B&H Photo if you could for better customer service.

I like the M8, and it's infrared contamination problem has been a boon for me because of it's IR photo capability with the right filter. So far so good. My normal is the 35/2 ASPH and the wide is the Voigtlander 25/4 (not the rangefinder coupled one) which I like very much. If I were working to a tighter budget, I'd try the Voigtlander 35, maybe look on Luminous Landscape for reviews. I think I'd buy the Voigtlanders from B&H Photo if you could for better customer service.

Hi,

Can you share some of your filters/photos that take advantage of the IR. I am very interested in turning this "weaknesses" into a creative opportunity.

Thanks,

Alberto

I would not disagree in any way from the proposition that if one sticks with Leica Ms then Leica glass is inevitable in the future.

However my point was to experience for oneself the different lengths and speeds before that expense - a gentle initiation is perhaps better than an immediate plunge - unless the expense is of no consequence of course.

One should also beware 'lens snobbery' and one of the best treatments for that is to read Erwin Puts comments on the CV offerings and his comparisons with all but the latest 'real' lenses for M's.

(Like some others here I read recently of audio cables costing several thousands of dollars and chuckled to my 'now truly old self' about the failings of my 'erstwhile old self') !!!

Enjoy your M8 - whatever lens you put on it you are likely to do just that.

I knew I'd have alot in common with you guys!

I use only Siltec audio cable..lol.

I have Porsches and the one I will never sell is my 1972 911 Orange Targa. It's hard to start, it smells, I can't still figure out the heating system, the oil is added on the right side of the car where the gas tank usually is!

Yet, it's more fun to drive than my other modern cars!

I think these 'analogue' and old school comparisons are why I am naturally drawn towards leica...

I will get a 35mm lense to start. The question is which one to choose?

I have a feeling I won't have my M8 for more than a few weeks if I like it.

Just what I need, more gear!

Because the M8 runs out of steam pretty quickly at higher ISOs, I would recommend an f/2.0 as a minimum - especially if you just have one lens. The extra stop - or two - really helps.

Alberto

I can see that and ordered this: Leica Wide Angle 35mm f/2.0 Summicron.

I know either I will love the Leica 8.0 and order the M9 quickly or sell them the M8 an the lense just as quickly...lol..

I don't want to buy lenses thinking I will be changing when I get the M9...

Now I can 'relax' and decide what other lenses would make best sense for me but not order anything till I am convinced the Leica is for me..

I almost went for the 35mm 1.4 and can see getting it in the future...it's bigger and heavier...and with the M9 with the much better ISO, the 2.0 might be even more perfect.

Edited by PayPerView

My first inclination was to advise getting a new noctilux 50/0.95 as it a lens we all lust for and need to get out of our system. It would not be very useful, but you could resell at a profit, and convert into 4 lenses that you would like. Of course, unexpectedly, you might have liked it and then the advice would also have been good.

Anyway on a more serious note a f/2 lens should be fine, I am still happiliy living with a 28/2 summicron ASPH and that is pretty much OK in the evenings. I have this itch to get a 50/1.4 sometime but in fact I am discovering that only using one lens is a good idea (I have 4 lenses to chose form, that is not the point).

A 35/2 sounds like a great lens to start with - and yes you will love this camera if you have a heart.

My first inclination was to advise getting a new noctilux 50/0.95 as it a lens we all lust for and need to get out of our system. It would not be very useful, but you could resell at a profit, and convert into 4 lenses that you would like. Of course, unexpectedly, you might have liked it and then the advice would also have been good.

Anyway on a more serious note a f/2 lens should be fine, I am still happiliy living with a 28/2 summicron ASPH and that is pretty much OK in the evenings. I have this itch to get a 50/1.4 sometime but in fact I am discovering that only using one lens is a good idea (I have 4 lenses to chose form, that is not the point).

A 35/2 sounds like a great lens to start with - and yes you will love this camera if you have a heart.

I am so excited about finally getting this camera as many of you have felt and experienced as well!

I see I need to order an IR filter..

I am trying to understand the differences between the Summarit and Summacron, other than the weight difference! without spending hours of research,...but that's an inevitable part of this process of course.

Back to obsessing and reading!

Edited by PayPerView

Summarit is the newer, less expensive lens, speed 2.5. Summicron is the top-of-the-range quality-wise, more expensive 2.0 lens. Summilux are the more exotic 1.4 lenses. Only buy an eveready case if you feel you need it. It protects the camera but also inhibits access. The Billingham for Leica case holds the camera and a couple of lenses plus odds and ends. Highly recommended.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jaapv

Summarit is the newer, less expensive lens, speed 2.5. Summicron is the top-of-the-range quality-wise, more expensive 2.0 lens. Summilux are the more exotic 1.4 lenses. Only buy an eveready case if you feel you need it. It protects the camera but also inhibits access. The Billingham for Leica case holds the camera and a couple of lenses plus odds and ends. Highly recommended.

Great case, thanks for the suggestion and the post!

I should have named this thread on how to help me spend money!

I see a couple of different flash options and the one I think I would want is (of course most expensive,

Leica SF 58 Flash

It's most like what I am used to with my Canon gear..

any special reason to get the 22 or 24 flash, other than perhaps size and price?

----

Lastly (for now at least) what are the opinions on the IR filters..One test showed clearly some advantages of using one..is this a no brainer? I have a 35mm 2.0 en route. any insights in to that are aprreciated.

Thank you for your warm welcome to me and sorry if I keep asking newbie questions!

Edited by PayPerView