GE #5

neal

Neil -

Thanks for jogging my memory. I'll bet you'll recall popping them out so that you can quickly replace it for the next shot, and lightly burning your fingers in the process (rather than letting the bulb fall to the floor). You also might rmember that once it was cooled you could peel the plastic coating off the glass.

Neil -

Thanks for jogging my memory. I'll bet you'll recall popping them out so that you can quickly replace it for the next shot, and lightly burning your fingers in the process (rather than letting the bulb fall to the floor). You also might rmember that once it was cooled you could peel the plastic coating off the glass.

Stu,Yes, indeed, and I also remember their distinctive smell after they were fired. Do you remember licking the base to assure contact.

I've never seen one. A light bulb of some kind?

This is a Press #5 flash bulb, one of the most commonly used flash bulbs in its day. Still puts out more light than all but the most powerful electronic flashes.

Neal -

I forgot about the small. Licking the base was also in one of the Sean Connery James Bond films when a beautiful Eurasian club photographer sensually licks one before putting it into the flash of, I think, a Speed Graflex.

I have a handful of blue ones in an old bag here in the office. Belonged to my grandfather, i even have the flash units that they go in. Wow...and I seem to recall my dad using them in the early 70's with his Retina rangefinder.

Very interesting: pardon my ignorance!

I would be surprised if anyone who has been into photography for less than 25 years would have ever used or seen these things. Even 40 years ago flash bulbs were being phased our of general use.

Neil,

Does that bring back memories. I used these with my first camera, an Argus C3. I recall they had a noxious oder when fired. I always rubbed the base of the flashbulb against the leg of my bluejeans before inserting into the flashgun to insure good contact. That always worked. Those were the good old days?:( Sylvania made the Press 25's I believe.

Paul

Ah, the good old days. There is a company in Ireland (Northern, I believe) that still makes flashbulbs.

Yes, but I believe they only make the large press 22 and press 40 Edison based bulbs (press 22 bulbs are about the size of a 100watt light bulb)

I do remember licking the bottom contact. I was younger then, and made a big show of it, as tho it were evidence of arcane technique. Sometimes, the bulb was for a flash attachment for a Brownie Hawkeye -- so one naturally needed all the arcane technique gestures possible to build cred . . .

My dad taught me how to use them on his Rollieflex. The flash unit had a shaped circular reflector (not a fold-out); I made a few pictures with it, thinking the flashbulb would totally freeze the action of my brother on a swing in the dark yard. Because of the burn time, the results were "soft" and disappointing, though I didn't know why at the time. Later, I came to appreciate that softness of the flashbulbs in comparison to the starkness of his new strobe Honeywell (?) potato masher. His secret stash of bulbs was eventually off-limits to me.

There's a certain quality to some bulb-lit old press photos that would be fun to duplicate, though I have no idea how.

Thanks for the photo; brings back memories.

Larry