Voigtlander or Leica Viewfinder?

markpsf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got the Leica VF a couple of days after I got the camera, and was so disappointed in its performance that I ordered the Voigtlander. I find the Voigtlander to be brighter by a noticeable measure, and also think it looks better, but really don't care about the looks as long as it performs. I imagine I'd be happy with the Leica if the other weren't available,but it is, and it's better all around IMO. And seeing the quality of the metal VC against compared to the Leica confirms that Leica is neither afraid nor ashamed to make a significant profit on whatever they can. Does anyone really think that the viewfinder, in terms of absolute value, is worth 20% of the cost of the entire camera, or twice the cost of the Voigtlander?

Anyway, I'm outside of LA, and if there's someone local dying for a very unused Leica VF, pm me.....

bill crockett

Thank you! finally a side by side! That puts it to rest!

Perhaps someone can explain to me how ovf is useful if you are autofocusing. I get the framing aspect but particularly if you are using multipoint, how do you realize focus lock is in the correct place. Sorry I just don't undertand the benefit I guess.

Hope, faith, luck?

• 2 weeks later...
Hope, faith, luck?

Multi point is the wrong way to go. It will always choose the closest point with contrast and focus there. Accept some responsibilitynwhen focusing and use the center point to choose where to focus.

I also received my Leica viewfinder the other day. I have the Voigtlander as well and I find the Leica brighter and clearer. I can't comment on how they look on the camera since mine is off having its skin repaired.

Can someone please take some comparison pictures including the view through these two viewfinders? There are two comparisons on this page of people who own both and they both draw a different conclusion. :confused:

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't think it's a very useful exercise to photograph through the viewfinder.

This view through my Leica version would have you believe that the frame is very clear. In reality it varies greatly depending on the light.

If the Voightlander works at half the price I'd go for that.

leicaviewfinder.jpg

I think the bottom line is that they are both excellent finders and that means people just can't justify the difference in price. I can't blame them. Some prefer how the VC looks on the camera and some prefer the Leica. I'm just happy it is relatively accurate.

Guuys I just got the VC finder and it's got really bright lines and is beautifully built. But, it sits far forward in the hotshoe and you need to press the camera hard against your face to see through it clearly. I tried the cheaper Olympus vf-1 in comparison and that is much easier to view because of it's design where the eyepiece extends past the body meaning you don't need to press the camera against your face. Not sure if the Leica is like this too.... Anyone?

...following on form that with the VC viewfinder it isn't as easy to see the green AF light as it is with the Olympus and possibly the Leica due to it's smaller profile and forward sitting design. For now I'll keep mine and see if I can get used to it, or else I'll probably buy the Leica version.

I've never used an ovf before.. what are the dashed lines at the top? Sorry for such a newb question, never used a rangefinder, only dslr and direct view compacts. Thanks for the info.

Used to compose for close-up shots... compensation.

Wouldn't make much sense, as the center of the viewfinder is not always the center of the image.

Yes but it is close enough to be able to gauge where the camera is focusing when set to center point AF, and that would be very useful