Voigtlander or Leica Viewfinder?

markpsf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I nearly choked when I read that.

If the viewfinder body is made of brass then it's like no brass I've ever seen before.

As for high quality optics I really don't know. The quality seems nothing special nor is the brightline frame particularly effective in all lighting.

The eyepiece is a rubber ring that pulls off.

What is the law in NYC about misleading advertising?

The chassis may be brass and skeletal, the outer shell polycarb? If they are milling the may drill for access, to get the mill tool in...they then need an outer shell to seal. Only using poly carb probably a better compromise though.

Noel

The finder is constructed from two pieces of moulded plastic. You can see the line where they have been glued together very clearly in this picture.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Aesthetics and cost aside, the Leica 36mm viewfinder is bright and clear and a joy to use in all conditions, even when wearing bifocal spectacles. Considering its importance in framing every picture outdoors, I doubt that Leica users will quibble when they see the difference the external viewfinder can make to their photography.

I've been reading a LOT on this viewfinder and many are calling it plastic and not as good as the Voigtlander viewfinder. I'm sure the Voigt is nice but online descriptions are very specific in the build materials. This is from B&H:

"This Leica X1 Brightline Finder is a viewfinder for the 36mm equivalent lens of the Leica X1 compact digital camera. The camera does not have a built in viewfinder so this is the perfect accessory for using your camera in bright sunlight. This is a passive finder, so no camera data is viewed if the LCD screen is turned off.

The finder provides a remarkably vibrant, high-contrast image. Due to a concave mirror in the optics, part of the incoming light is used to illuminate the picture outline as a bright frame. This is the same as in viewfinders of Leica M cameras.

The optics are given a high-quality multi-layer coating to guarantee optimum viewing through the finder in all conditions. The high-quality metal body of the finder is designed in the popular retro look of the fifties and sixties, but is milled from solid brass according to the latest technologies. The eyepiece side is rubberized to protect eyeglasses."

So not only does it have awesome optics, is exactly 36mm to match the camera, is metal also, but also has a rubberized end for my glasses.

I believe B&H marketing messed up on this one. I remember reading before on a number of sites that the Leica viewfinder had a plastic housing. And some previous posts on this thread also point that out.

Well I can only say thet I tried quite a few finders on my X1 and still thinkthat the 28/35 Minifinder is the best. Gives a perfect framing@35mm brightline and still leaves space outside of that for a better framing, SMALL, does not add bulk to the camera so it keeps the X1still pocketable, it has a well lit brightline that is visible all times, has coated optics and a rubber eyeglass protector. I also used fpr extended times the standard Voigt metal finder, the Leitz 35mm Galelian finder, the Leica 35 and 36 mm finders and still think for me the minifinder works best.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Aesthetics and cost aside, the Leica 36mm viewfinder is bright and clear and a joy to use in all conditions, even when wearing bifocal spectacles.

I'm not sure I would praise it that highly but let's see how others feel when they get theirs.

A camera retailer in Manchester looked through it this afternoon and said " It's brighter than most" so perhaps I'm expecting too much.

I got the Leica VF a couple of days after I got the camera, and was so disappointed in its performance that I ordered the Voigtlander. I find the Voigtlander to be brighter by a noticeable measure, and also think it looks better, but really don't care about the looks as long as it performs. I imagine I'd be happy with the Leica if the other weren't available,but it is, and it's better all around IMO. And seeing the quality of the metal VC against compared to the Leica confirms that Leica is neither afraid nor ashamed to make a significant profit on whatever they can. Does anyone really think that the viewfinder, in terms of absolute value, is worth 20% of the cost of the entire camera, or twice the cost of the Voigtlander?

Anyway, I'm outside of LA, and if there's someone local dying for a very unused Leica VF, pm me.....

bill crockett

Am I the only fool going for the X1 viewfinder?

you are not a fool. the x1 finder is designed for the x1. it's small size reflects that. one thing worthy of mentioning is that a larger viewfinder may get in the way of the flash path, if you are using it, creating a shadow on the right side. the green led is just below and to the right of the flash shoe. it's lit with "viewfinder" set to "on" to give an indication of focus, not in the x1 viewfinder itself. the leica sbloo is definitely worth it's salt if you want to invest but it's big and heavy. a lovely viewfinder with a classic look, it would make the x1 feel much more solid and weighty in the hand. i'm sure it's protusion forward would affect the flash

I guess I'm hoping the X1's is the most accurate and IMHO it looks the best on the X1. I'm a bit shallow... aesthetics matter to me.

the x1 viewfinder is actually 36mm whereas the others mentioned in this thread are 35mm. barely perceptible in practice so i wouldn't put too great an emphasis on it. for absolute accuracy i guess you would use the monitor?

One thing, I brought the camera out in mid-day here in SE Asia, where the sun is blazing hot and bright, and the LCD is visible, albeit a little washed out...is a viewfinder really necessary?

Judging from the extreme interest in the viewfinder, which would lead me to believe it is most likely very useful, but from my own experience of using the LCD under the brightest of sun, I find the picture on the LCD adequate for framing....

I believe B&H marketing messed up on this one. I remember reading before on a number of sites that the Leica viewfinder had a plastic housing. And some previous posts on this thread also point that out.

You are absolutely right; the above refers only to the M 18mm, 21mm, and the 24mm VFs. Leica's website does not describe the 36mm VF as such.

• 2 weeks later...

if you already have a 28 viewfinder, try it on your x1 for a while and see if it works for you. compare the framing in the viewfinder to the monitor. it might be a bit like using an m8 all over again but you'd probably get used to the correction you'd have to make each time in order to make it accurate. not illogical..

Perhaps someone can explain to me how ovf is useful if you are autofocusing. I get the framing aspect but particularly if you are using multipoint, how do you realize focus lock is in the correct place. Sorry I just don't undertand the benefit I guess.

I nearly choked when I read that.

If the viewfinder body is made of brass then it's like no brass I've ever seen before.

As for high quality optics I really don't know. The quality seems nothing special nor is the brightline frame particularly effective in all lighting.

The eyepiece is a rubber ring that pulls off.

What is the law in NYC about misleading advertising?

Wow that is blatant! I'm getting the Voigtlander now!

Now that it's clear that B&H was wrong and the VF is plastic I took a closer look at others.

If you look at pictures of the Leica X1 viewfinder- NOT the one on their site- it's way too big for the camera. It's as big as the SBLOO for those of you concerned about flash shadow. It also doesn't match- the black plastic is nowhere else to be seen on the camera.

The silver Voigtlander VF matches the lighter brass / aluminum dials on the top of the X1, doesn't show as much concave, and is much smaller. Looks perfect in my opinion- and the price is right.