Voigtlander or Leica Viewfinder?

markpsf

Well, the only advantage that I can see is that the X1's viewfinder is designed exactly for the X1, so it looks good on the X1, it'll be 36mm (instead of 35mm), and it could be brighter (not sure though). It could be the most accurate, but it might not be.

The 35 is one of voigtlanders best - top notch built quality, bright and low distortion. Its more rounded design looks great on the X1. Since no VF is THAT accurate anyway the difference between 35 and 36 is neglidgible. Don't let the price make you think it's inferior.

As a side note i've often noted that the Zeiss VFs are actually the best - especially if you like the rectangular design. A zeiss 35 VF would no doubt be an excellent choice too and price wise lies inbetween the CV and Leica VFs.

I have a 35mm Voigtlander viewfinder.

Is there likely to be any significant advantage in the one Leica is offering for the X1?

If not I'd sure rather save the money.

Have any of you new users used the new one?

Thanks.

Mark

I have used one for very little. Bright and good, but I think it had short eye relief. Used it for very little though, will use it again next week. Check before you buy. If you have one use it until you see the Leica one and then you can decide on your own.

View is gorgeously big however...

Edited by diogenis
adding

Hi,

After doubting and looking a long time I decided to go for the Voigtlander 35 Metal Brightline Viewfinder (link to picture: http://www.cameraquest.com/jpg6/VF 35 M S 1.jpgand link to website: Voigtlander Bessa RF Accessories). I like the round design.

Apparently this one is also good when wearing glasses. :cool:

from what I hear the Leica one has the green light to tell you it's in focus ....if anyone really cares about that

I don't think that's true. It would mean an electronic connection, which doesn't exist.

I think that given how it's placed and shaped it "allows" you to see the light on the camera.

Mark

Mark - I own the Voigtlander 28/35 combo that I use with my Dlux4 and will try it on the X1. I was thinking of getting the model you own because viewfinders to me are like reading glasses, good to have a spare pair or two. I don't like leaving it on the camera so often leave it home by mistake or in another bag.

The Leica viewfinder may be brighter but I prefer the looks of the Voigtlander 35mm better than the boxy style.

Looking on eBay, I see that there are two different Voigtländer 35mm external viewfinders available. One is round in design and the other is square, although not as boxy as the Leica ones. Can anyone comment on how they have found using either of these models and whether the one performs any better than the other. (They are both going for around the same price).

You can check out Cameraquest for more info:

Voigtlander Bessa RF Accessories

But the square one has been discontinued and is reportedly not as good as the round one.

I have a different question which I may post separately.

I have an opportunity to pick up a Leitz SBLOO viewfinder at a good price. It looks to have a bigger viewer. It's also beautiful, tho that is secondary to me. I want to find out if the extra size blocks a view of the focus light on the X1 and if it is as good for people with glasses as the Voigtlander.

Mark

Over the weekend I looked at the 36mm VF made especially for the X1 and it is very clear and bright (and looks beautiful on the camera). In one sense it is a bargain, when one considers that external VFs made for the M series retail for over €500.

Still, by all accounts, the Voigtländer is a very fine VF, also looks good, and is half the price. I haven't fully made up my mind yet, but I think that that is the one I'm going to buy.

Last week I bought the only one available in Holland.

It's very bright and I'm looking forward to using it when my X1 arrives.

Is the X1 finder plastic bodied like the D-Lux4 finder? If so its still a nice item but overpriced in my opinion, would be nice if it was metal. The D-Lux4 finder cost me £180 but I use it most of the time so that makes it worth it to me.

Nigel

• 2 months later...
Is the X1 finder plastic bodied like the D-Lux4 finder? If so its still a nice item but overpriced in my opinion, would be nice if it was metal. The D-Lux4 finder cost me £180 but I use it most of the time so that makes it worth it to me.

Nigel

I've been reading a LOT on this viewfinder and many are calling it plastic and not as good as the Voigtlander viewfinder. I'm sure the Voigt is nice but online descriptions are very specific in the build materials. This is from B&H:

"This Leica X1 Brightline Finder is a viewfinder for the 36mm equivalent lens of the Leica X1 compact digital camera. The camera does not have a built in viewfinder so this is the perfect accessory for using your camera in bright sunlight. This is a passive finder, so no camera data is viewed if the LCD screen is turned off.

The finder provides a remarkably vibrant, high-contrast image. Due to a concave mirror in the optics, part of the incoming light is used to illuminate the picture outline as a bright frame. This is the same as in viewfinders of Leica M cameras.

The optics are given a high-quality multi-layer coating to guarantee optimum viewing through the finder in all conditions. The high-quality metal body of the finder is designed in the popular retro look of the fifties and sixties, but is milled from solid brass according to the latest technologies. The eyepiece side is rubberized to protect eyeglasses."

So not only does it have awesome optics, is exactly 36mm to match the camera, is metal also, but also has a rubberized end for my glasses.

Edited by ChiILX1

The high-quality metal body of the finder is designed in the popular retro look of the fifties and sixties, but is milled from solid brass according to the latest technologies. The eyepiece side is rubberized to protect eyeglasse.

I nearly choked when I read that.

If the viewfinder body is made of brass then it's like no brass I've ever seen before.

As for high quality optics I really don't know. The quality seems nothing special nor is the brightline frame particularly effective in all lighting.

The eyepiece is a rubber ring that pulls off.

What is the law in NYC about misleading advertising?