Russian president on photography and M9

jlam

Interesting.

But his personal LEICA rep should tell him quickly how to hold a rangefinder-

camera barnackwise. He is bound to see more of his fingers than of the actual

scene he wants to take, if he doesn´t support the lens from underneath ...

Thx, Josef, for the link, great stuff ! And an interesting video showing - from the

bit you could see - quite impressive presidential photographs.

Best

GEORG

Edited by k_g_wolf

Very interesting! And very encouraging for the large community of excellent photographers in Russia to know that they have a friend in high places.

Also interesting since president Dmitiry Medvedev will visit Norway later this year. Most likely, it will be a session with the Russian president and either Norwegian Export Council or Oslo Chamber of Commerce, - or both. If so, I will try to approach president Medvedev and point out that we share the same taste for Cameras (Canon and Leica).

My brother-in-law (black belt in judo) did just that with president Putin at a session between Norwegian oil industry representatives and Russian dignitaries in St.Petersburg a few years ago. - A fresh guy, my brother-in-law, who speaks fluent German - which Putin also does, exchanged judo tricks and experiences at a reception to the amusement of president Putin. 'hold my drink and I'll show ya'. - That kind of a thing.

Dmitry Medvedev; does he speak English? Does anyone know? My impression is that he does.

Dmitry Medvedev; does he speak English? Does anyone know? My impression is that he does.

Yes, I think he does. Anyway, he was well received here in Amsterdam when he, together with our Queen, opened the stunning Hermitage Annex we now have here.

BTW: nice film! For a politician of such stature is quite a thing to free so much time and effort for a speech on a hobby (for him). He must really like photography, and Leica!

Way to go Leica! They have made viral marketing an art using Woody Allen, Wim Wenders and now the Kremlin:D

I enjoyed the video, he seems a nice guy actually and had some sensible things to say e.g. that one of the value of photo's is that they provide info of the past, and that unimportant snapshots taken now can obtain a different value precisely due to the passing of time.

Yes, I think he does. Anyway, he was well received here in Amsterdam when he, together with our Queen, opened the stunning Hermitage Annex we now have here.

BTW: nice film! For a politician of such stature is quite a thing to free so much time and effort for a speech on a hobby (for him). He must really like photography, and Leica!

He makes a very good impression! It reminds me of that both he and Putin are 'pupils' of the (law professor) once governor of St.Petersburg, Anatoly Sobchak, who were a prominent reformer during and after Perestroyka, and quite popular among Russians. Sobchak could well have become president of Russia, but was outmaneuvered by forces unknown (to make a long story very short) and died under mysterious circumstances.

Instead, the Russians had to endure the corrupt Yeltsin, that gave away fortunes of the huge natural resources of Russia to a small click of people; the oligarchs. I think Putin (and certainly Medvedev) is a compromise candidate between the most powerful forces in Russia; the oligarchs (that are left in Russia), the Military (including the 'military industrial complex', to cite Eisenhower) and the secret services (a powerhouse in Russian politics for the last 200 years +). Under the circumstances; Dmitry Medvedev is the best president the Russians can get.

That Putin and Medvedev survived with their lives through the 90' in St.Petersburg, tells of two street smart guys with the right connections who had learned to duck at the right moment.

Sure, quite a few celebrities use Leica cameras, but I know of only one more president that does: the 3rd. president of Indonesia, Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie, the Indonesian president that granted East Timor it's independence, - yet another decent guy. So, photography does something positive with us.