sold it

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sold my M8 today

I'm so very dissapointed by Leica and the treatment of the M8 problems

I found out I simply didn't trust to take in not so good conditions, fearing it will be killed by condensation again. Then I also got a D700 which images in high iso blew away the M8 images, so the M8 was hardly used anymore.

It is a shame from the start, The IR issue was a joke eventhough solved with filters, then Leica decided we should pay for upgrades of things that should have been in there from the start. And then finally I also got the LCD-ring problem. All solved in the end but in the over 2 years I had it I had 3 M8 replacements and over 3 months missing the camera due to all the repairs...all that for an over 3500euro camera. Actually I should sue Leica for bringing on such a product and denying all the problems it had so I had to put in a lot of time in it I could have spend much better. Known construction problems, like the LCD dark ring, when you were outside waranty you could shake it and a expensive repair was required. I was furtunate that all happened during warany eventhough I had a big fight with Leica over the condensation issue resulting the insurance company having to pay for it.

In japan if something would happen like this, the management of the company would kill themselves out of shame.

I had M's for many, many years, but it ends now, it ends in disappointment

Now I'm looking for a nice compact camera...will I trust Leica again and buy an X1 eventhough the main specs are good...I'm not sure. It seems they made some stupid design mistakes again. What are these 3 holes on top of the camera doing, allowing water to come in maybe, to ruin the electronics? What is this stupid IS joke, a way to avoid having to pay for patents of others?

Guest Chris M

WOW!!! Bummer:eek:

Sounds like you got a real lemon:mad: well now that it is all over for you now, I truly hope you can now find peace of mind:) No need for any more discussion about your unfortunate experiance. AS of now you have bin formally releived of your duty here, please go in peace, and forget about the X1 as it will probably have far to many issues for you. Please enjoy your journey into which ever world you choose to inhabit.

Ps... enjoy your D700 that is an ok camera too

chris m. :cool:

Sold my M8 today

In japan if something would happen like this, the management of the company would kill themselves out of shame.

Toyota doesn't seem to have gotten the memo on this.

And while there are some perfectly fine Japanese cars out there, I'm not buying any more Japanese cameras until/unless someone over there breaks free from the herd and makes something pro level that's not a big heavy overcomplicated beastly DSLR with a 420-page manual and a dim, inadequate viewfinder.

Sorry to hear your disappointment with Leica. I, too, have been disappointed by some issues with my M8c but I have no desire / plan to say Good-Bye to Leica at the moment.

Sold my M8 today

I believe that you were joking.. It is a very old story... Nowadays, they would just resign their position and start mowing the lawn with a cuppa sake in their hand.

peace

Wise decision, given the history. In your case I would go for something else than the X1. It would never give you peace of mind.

actually jaap, you have no clue how good argument against the X1 that is

but one very good thing I learned...never buy a product that isn't at least 6 months on the market. Let others found out the crap

actually mmk60...I was :D

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sold my M8 today

I found out I simply didn't trust to take in not so good conditions, fearing it will be killed by condensation again. Then I also got a D700 which images in high iso blew away the M8 images, so the M8 was hardly used anymore.

It is a shame from the start, The IR issue was a joke eventhough solved with filters, then Leica decided we should pay for upgrades of things that should have been in there from the start. And then finally I also got the LCD-ring problem. All solved in the end but in the over 2 years I had it I had 3 M8 replacements and over 3 months missing the camera due to all the repairs...all that for an over 3500euro camera. Actually I should sue Leica for bringing on such a product and denying all the problems it had so I had to put in a lot of time in it I could have spend much better. Known construction problems, like the LCD dark ring, when you were outside waranty you could shake it and a expensive repair was required. I was furtunate that all happened during warany eventhough I had a big fight with Leica over the condensation issue resulting the insurance company having to pay for it.

I had M's for many, many years, but it ends now, it ends in disappointment

Now I'm looking for a nice compact camera...will I trust Leica again and buy an X1 eventhough the main specs are good...I'm not sure. It seems they made some stupid design mistakes again. What are these 3 holes on top of the camera doing, allowing water to come in maybe, to ruin the electronics? What is this stupid IS joke, a way to avoid having to pay for patents of others?

Sorry to hear you are selling the M8. Mine has worked like a charm with no issures. My problems are that my 50 year old eyes have trouble focuing the M8 in dark rooms, but the biggest problem is that I have to use a viewfinder for field of view for lenses wider than 33mm effective FOV. Why oh why could the M8 not have a live view so at least you could see what was and was not included in the field of view? I will hang on to my M8 for now, but can see your point. Too bad, Leica could use more customers.

Sold my M8 today

I can't say that I blame you. My own M8 is away for a second time undergoing repair, and it's taking two months to get it back. I remain a big fan of the camera when it works, but I admit that Leica is no longer the champion of longevity.

Sold my M8 today

Really sorry for you, but I understand too.

Mine is now in Solms (after about 3'000 actuations): serious RF alignment problems, vertical banding official "feature" and, last but no least, a pleasant constant "rewinding" function (which amused a lot of people during my shootings in Tokyo)...

The main problem is that I had to try to establish a *functional* contact with Leica (directly and through the seller) during at least two month before receiving a useful answer/proposition. Now, the repair tracking system just lost track of my M8 and nobody seem to care about in Solms, despite my e-mails.

So, yes, I understand you.

And I miss my M8. As you probably will miss yours soon.

Cheers,

Gérald

but one very good thing I learned...never buy a product that isn't at least 6 months on the market.

Make that 1 year. Goes for cars, too. I stick to that rule for as long as I can think of, and I have avoided many unpleasant experineces this way.

Andy

I am just wondering if Leica support is really as bad as you are mostly implying?

They portray themselves as making quality cameras for their customers quality needs,

shouldn´t they be more accomodating?

anyone had any good experinces of solms?

or are they that bad?

To be honest, I should add that a few years ago, I had a very good experience with Leica Switzerland in Nidau: I had my D2 with sensor failure exchanged for a new one in ten days, all under warranty.

And I do not affirm that Leica services in Solms are bad: I just describe my current experience. Which is really frustrating indeed.

Cheers,

Gérald

Edited by gverdon
  • Like 1

no matter what

looking at the many posts on the M8 on the web, even considering that complainers will write more than those with positive expiriences: Leica has lost a great deal of its reputation with the M8. Probably when they learn more they will get it back maybe, but it was over the backs of many M8 users.

they were like bike builders deciding to build cars from now on and not investigating what the differences were between cars and bikes besides adding an engine and a cover.

well I do miss working with M's, the M8...well no I don't miss that one, it gave to much fuzz for me

Guest Bernd Banken

Man can trust Leica in digital cameras after they achieved around 100.000 units production. Then a smooth and sophisticated assembling and the feedback of good/bad suppliers and their own QC is established.

The competitors are already to count in millions of cams.

Up to the MP it's a different scenario. Sorry.

actually jaap, you have no clue how good argument against the X1 that is

but one very good thing I learned...never buy a product that isn't at least 6 months on the market. Let others found out the crap

actually mmk60...I was :D

The fact that we disagree does not mean I don't understand ;)

Definitely understand how you feel. I recently bought a used M8, which was in great condition. Used it for a couple of weeks in really tame environments..took care of it like a baby, and one day *poof* I get an SD error in my viewfinder. It's off to Leica for repairs, but since warranty is long over i'll probably get an expensive bill for it :mad:

I don't mind paying if the malfunction was caused by my own error, but i'm possitive it wasn't...and that's what frustrates me the most with the M8.

>In japan if something would happen like this, the management of the

>company would kill themselves out of shame.

I do not recall anyone at Nikon committing suicide because of the Magenta Cast of skin tones with the D2H or the fiasco with encrypting white-balance information on the D2x. The latter is the reason I stuck with the D1x. Nikon attempted to force Raw shooters to use their software, and had a huge battle with Adobe and others. Nikon's software Stinks and I would not use it for the sake of a new camera. They hid behind on the Digital Millenium Copyright laws to prevent a company from breaking the encryption algorithm and incorporating white balance decryption into third party packages.

No camera company has been perfect. I do not understand the double-standard applied to Leica. I applaud Leica for using DNG format, and Nikon lost a life-long customer of its new cameras when they made the decision to encrypt information.

SO: choice between a D700 and using my ~100 Nikkor lenses or an M8- I went with the M8. And my F3HP gives me good full-frame performance.

And when Canon comes out with a Digital FD mount camera...Yeah Right.

Edited by brianv