Black and White Mode?

shietface

You are aware that by using that mode you will only get a jpeg output ? For best results you should shoot RAW and convert to BW after. You can shoot RAW + jpeg so you will see a BW preview, as the above poster mentioned and can use either jpeg or RAW after but that is a bit slower saving if you need to shoot a rapid sequence. Chosen careful the BW settings are good but the jpeg quality is not the best if you need to print above 10 x 8 or less if you are sensitive to the artifacts.

You are aware that by using that mode you will only get a jpeg output ? For best results you should shoot RAW and convert to BW after. You can shoot RAW + jpeg so you will see a BW preview, as the above poster mentioned and can use either jpeg or RAW after but that is a bit slower saving if you need to shoot a rapid sequence. Chosen careful the BW settings are good but the jpeg quality is not the best if you need to print above 10 x 8 or less if you are sensitive to the artifacts.

I agree. I tried B&W in the camera - got much, much better results (to my eye) by working with the color raw file in Lightroom.

I agree as well. Shoot DNG, convert in post. Much better quality and flexibility in tweaking the image during import.

Though I have to say, I've gotten some decent shots in B+W JPEG mode.

I think ( I may be wrong ) that if you shoot DNG + JPEG in B&W mode that the DNG will still be a colour file, although the preview will be B&W. It's useful for judging what your image will look like in mono, but the best conversion (in my opinion anyway) is using Nik Silver Efex plugin in Lightroom