M8 shutter fault - get Leica to repair it for free

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you search the web you will find out that the M8 is not alone in that there are other. equally expensive cameras which have had shutter failure at low actuations. The 'shriking' baby syndrome applies here though - those who post on the web when their M8 shutters have failed do so noisily and quite possibly in more than one place, which is perfectly understandable because they are annoyed. The problem is determining whether the 'noise' is actually representative of a real problem or of an over-emphasised few problems - I do not know the answer but attempting to force Leica into an admission and free repair on the back of web 'noise' is not a tenable situation.

I wouldn't want to pay out 700 Euros either but then I wouldn't want to have to shell out for replacement shutters in my Canons either - none of this is cheap. Look on the bright side - a repaired Leica looks like holding a reasonable value, my 1DS which is still in excellent condition is worth vastly less than when I bought it. Leica digital M depreciation so far seems much lower.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see. There are two camps here... one's that believe that this topic comes up too frequently around the web (not just this site) so it must be a defect and other's that believe that it is an issue due to misuse. I'm pessimistic by nature, so I tend to believe the former.

I'm pragmatic by nature so I assume the latter until proven otherwise.

"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem."

Regards,

Bill

Leica M8 shutter fault - Google Search

Well, I think this search could help agnostics, some "mauvaise foi" guys here, or even a Court there's a latent default with the M8 shutter.

A shutter had to be also replaced in one of my cameras.

Cheers

Statistics are such awkward things... Let's level the playing field, thus:

Results 1 - 10 of about 937,000 for Leica shutter fault. (0.32 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,980,000 for Nikon shutter fault. (0.14 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 118,000 for Canon shutter fault. (0.49 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 18,100,000 for Pentax shutter fault. (0.68 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,420,000 for Olympus shutter fault. (0.34 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 83,600 for Sony shutter fault. (0.32 seconds)

Sorry, but your "proof" is lying in 40 fathoms of deep water with a very large hole in it.

Regards,

Bill

Statistics are such awkward things... Let's level the playing field, thus:

Results 1 - 10 of about 937,000 for Leica shutter fault. (0.32 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 3,980,000 for Nikon shutter fault. (0.14 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 118,000 for Canon shutter fault. (0.49 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 18,100,000 for Pentax shutter fault. (0.68 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,420,000 for Olympus shutter fault. (0.34 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 83,600 for Sony shutter fault. (0.32 seconds)

Sorry, but your "proof" is lying in 40 fathoms of deep water with a very large hole in it.

Regards,

Bill

Well, considering the number of cameras sold by Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax over the World... 937,000 it a very high figure for a company which has sold about 20000 being really optimistic :D

You two really don't get it, do you?

Try this:

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,350,000 for Disney shutter fault. (0.33 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 337,000 for Muppet shutter fault. (0.52 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 5,350 for Bugs Bunny shutter fault. (0.28 seconds)

...if you are going to use statistics to support your argument, make them representative, repeatable, relevant and of course realistic, eh?

Edit: Thanks, Steve - glad someone is paying attention.

Regards,

Bill

You two really don't get it, do you?

Try this:

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,350,000 for Disney shutter fault. (0.33 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 337,000 for Muppet shutter fault. (0.52 seconds)

Results 1 - 10 of about 5,350 for Bugs Bunny shutter fault. (0.28 seconds)

...if you are going to use statistics to support your argument, make them representative, repeatable, relevant and of course realistic, eh?

Edit: Thanks, Steve - glad someone is paying attention.

Regards,

Bill

:D

Thanks a lot for your evidence of internet-statistic faults!

Though I am sure that we'll see some non-agnostics who will proof that there are many more Disneys, Muppets and Bugs Bunnies who use an M8 - with shutter-fault - than any other camera on the market. I

While a search engine is not a perfect way to come up with statistics...the M8 threads are real threads about a camera that has had shutter problems... the Disney shutter problem does not exist. :D

While a search engine is not a perfect way to come up with statistics...the M8 threads are real threads about a camera that has had shutter problems... the Disney shutter problem does not exist. :D

O.K.

When I start a thread about Disney, Muppet and Bugs Bunny and their M8 shutter-faults this is a proof that it exists.

Your logic.

5,560 for fairy god mother shutter fault :D

the M8 shutter is perfectly reliable as far as I can see, and I guess that this is the way the legal system will see this. Whether the OP wants to take this to court or not is a completely different question. It appears that he is not intending to so I think that we should start to cool down and do something more useful. I hope that Leica will repair free of charge even though they have no obvious obligation to.