M8 shutter fault - get Leica to repair it for free

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Daniel

If you want to pursue your statutory rights you can ONLY sue ffordes. You don't have a contract with Leica.

What is there that is so hard for you to understand?

Just do it, if you feel so strongly about it. I can't understand why you haven't even bothered to speak with them.

At least when I had a problem with them with my 28 Elmarit-R, I spoke to them. They told me to piss off. I had the lens fixed at my own expense and I moved on. I didn't decide that it was Leica's fault. It was my fault.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk
So are you saying that even if the shutter was working you would see it as 'unfit for purpose'?

Good question - I've been putting up with the other issues for a while - perhaps stupidly. It is a buggy piece of crap at times but damn it takes good pictures! :D

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk
PS

So - when DID you expect to have to take responsibility for the camera?

:D

I hadn't really considered this point. I certainly expected to have hassle free operation for a lot longer than I have.

What does everyone else think? At what point in your M8s life would you say you were happy with a €700 repair bill - I know I'm not there yet.....

I also know that I wouldn't have bought one if somebody had said 'You know; the shutters go on these cameras more often than they should and the repair cost is pretty expensive. It could happen at any time - there really is no rhyme or reason as to when it will happen.'

Edited by PhotoWebb.co.uk

What does everyone else think? At what point in your M8s life would you say you were happy with a €700 repair bill - I know I'm not there yet.....

How about the day after the warranty runs out....?

Ever bought a car? Ever had a warranty with that car? Ever had something go wrong the month after the warranty runs out?

What happened?

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk
Well - how long does a £3k laptop last used professionally? Couple of years? My £30k Roland printer lasted 3 years before it needed a new board. My Cayenne has a rusty door and it's coming up to 3 years old. Err - stuff breaks.....

Do any of these manufacturers claim the same things as Leica though?

I also know that I wouldn't have bought one if somebody had said 'You know; the shutters go on these cameras more often than they should and the repair cost is pretty expensive. It could happen at any time - there really is no rhyme or reason as to when it will happen.'

Well I've shot thousands of images with 4 different M8's and never had a shutter go. In fact although it appears from listening to you that it is an issue - until you brought it up I'd never actually heard of it and I post a fair bit on here.

So I don't think it's exactly epidemic.

But - come to think of it - I turned on my old garage heater the other day and for no rhyme or reason it didn't work. Now if only someone had told me about a better one that gave notice of impending failure well in advance that'd have been a much better bet.... It's called a bit of BAD LUCK Daniel. It happens to us all....

But, nothing in any advertising BS constitutes a binding contract. Read the small print. These manufacturers aren't daft. They have small print.

You, paying money to ffordes, does constitute a contract.

Sue them.

But at least give them the courtesy of a phone call first.

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk
How about the day after the warranty runs out....?

Ever bought a car? Ever had a warranty with that car? Ever had something go wrong the month after the warranty runs out?

What happened?

Well, I had a Meridian DVD player that became faulty 3 years out of warranty and it was repaired for free by Meridian when I contacted them directly. Without the need to ask them I might add.

it's inconsequential to this argument.

Can't agree with you there - it's EVERYTHING to do with this argument.

Do any of these manufacturers claim the same things as Leica though?

Well I'm sure that if I dug out the Cayenne brochure it would have a section on telling me how marvellous the post 1973 galvanisation process is and how long my paint finish will last before it rusts...

Well, I had a Meridian DVD player that became faulty 3 years out of warranty and it was repaired for free by Meridian when I contacted them directly.

So what? They didn't have to. They could have told you to piss off. Like ffordes did with me.

That does not set a precedent as you well know.

If you can't be bothered to phone the people with whom you have a contract, and who you could sue under the Sales of Goods Act, then there's nothing more to be said, really.

Edited by andybarton

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk
They didn't have to though.

They could have told you to piss off. Like ffordes did with me.

That does not set a precedent.

I have heard this about Ffordes. I'll see what Leica do first before I embark upon what is almost guaranteed to be a long battle.