M8 shutter fault - get Leica to repair it for free

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Good night - you guys really know how to live - banging on about this all night on Friday night! I'm surprised Ozzy hasn't stopped by to weigh in seeing as we're all having such a party here.

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Just had a PM from someone saying that their dealer was encouraging them to get a digital M and had the opportunity to get one of two 'test drive' m8.2s in, directly from Leica. The dealer requested the nicer of the two. When the guy went in to the dealer they put a lens on, inserted the battery and, guess what?

Attention Shutter Fault... He's now waiting to hear what happens next. Part of me wishes this had happened to me - I wouldn't be £4-5k down on lenses and accessories on a camera that doesn't work....

Edited by PhotoWebb.co.uk

The dealer requested the nicer of the two. When the guy went in to the dealer they put a lens on, inserted the battery and, guess what?

Attention Shutter Fault...

Can I ask again why you are not discussing your problem with _your_ dealer? My understanding is that under the sale of goods act it is the dealer who is responsible for any repairs/replacement, not the manufacturer.

The dealer is the first one to contact from the legal point of view. Nevertheless - and this is the only point I agree with Daniel- I also had contacted Leica first. The only difference would have been that I had not done it with that bad taste of blackmailing.

Regards

Steve

The dealer did not make the decision to put a defective shutter in the M8, Leica did. :p

As quite a few already mentioned, the contract is between the buyer and the seller.

Your statement suffers from two flaws:

(1) You would have a hard time finding any documents by the management of Leica stating "we herewith decide to put a defective shutter into the camera with the serial number such and such". Hence, the decision cannot be proven.

(2) It was the buyer who decided to buy that particular camera which then turned out to have a defective shutter.

The buyer's contract is with the dealer who sold him the camera, not with Leica.

I understand, unless there truly is an issue with the M8's shutter faltering early due to poor design and implementation then neither the OP or the store he bought it from should be held liable.

Anyone racing out to buy second hand M8? Brave

Look, if you buy an M8, just factor $400 into the price for a shutter repair and then send it in just before the one year warranty expires. It is a great camera and even with the shutter fault, so much cheaper than the m9 and so much better than the EP-1

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk
Look, if you buy an M8, just factor $400 into the price for a shutter repair and then send it in just before the one year warranty expires. It is a great camera and even with the shutter fault, so much cheaper than the m9 and so much better than the EP-1

€700 is a heck of a lot more than $400 - are repairs much cheaper in the US?

As others have said the contract is with the dealer. This is a s/h camera we're talking about so unless the camera came with the passport warranty then Leica have no liability from a legal point of view.

There is of course the wider remit of the sale of goods act to consider, that goods should be fit for purpose etc., and should last a reasonable amount of time. If you buy a TV with a 12 month warranty and it packs up in month 14 you can still seek redress from the seller, as it is reasonable to expect a TV to last longer than 14 months. Of course you would need to take the issue to court if the retailer was not willing to compromise.

I'm not sure what to think here. There have been fairly regular reports of shutter failures to be fair, remember all those torn shutter blades when the M8 first came out? But then of course we don't know how many as a % were affected nor if anything had happened to the cameras concerned which might have caused the failure, and it seems from what I've read that such failures happened very early in the cameras life i.e. after a few shots, not a well used s/h example.

I don't think that this kind of 'media campaign' is appropriate however, the OP seems to be trying to embarrass Leica into stepping in an sorting his problem out for him with his dealer, rather than taking the proper course of action.

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

If Leica won't repair the camera free of charge then my next step will be to ask my dealer, Ffordes in Aberdeen, who are not my regular dealer, to pay for the repair under the Sale of Goods Act.

Aside from what the law states I do think that Leica should repair the camera rather than expect one of their dealers to foot the bill just because that is what is legally correct.

It will be far easier for me if I can just send the camera in to Leica and have it repaired without having to go through my dealer which is why I have initially approached them directly.