M8 shutter fault - get Leica to repair it for free

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the "Attention Shutter Fault" issue has been previously identified and established as occurring occasionally. Leica already advised some time ago they may be able to address it the next firmware release. In that instance it is not an actual shutter fault. The next new firmware release will be available to everyone.

If you have additional issues with your second hand camera then they are separate issues of course.

It sounds like you are now agreeing to send your camera to Leica for assessment rather than requiring that Leica promise free servicing on your out of warranty camera sight unseen, based on your statements of your expectations from reading the brochure.

In my opinion that is more reasonable.

Guest BigSplash

I am clearly missing something here.

The shutter fault is now possibly the one known about for 3 years and was supposed to be fixed in the next M8 firmware upgrade which has been rumoured for imminent release since last November. ..the same fault also apparently effects the M9 and all M8 cameras.

If a simple new firmware fixes the issue why doesn't Leica send a Beta version to you of the software and see if the problem disappears. It seem to me it will be easier than shipping your camera to Solms, which should only be required if it is a hardware issue. .

If Leica have the firmware ready that fixes the shutter fault issue why do they not generally release it?

If a simple new firmware fixes the issue why doesn't Leica send a Beta version to you of the software and see if the problem disappears. It seem to me it will be easier than shipping your camera to Solms, which should only be required if it is a hardware issue. .

If Leica have the firmware ready that fixes the shutter fault issue why do they not generally release it?

Frank, Beta software is just that. It may solve one problem but cause another. The revised firmware may not be able to correct the problem once the camera has flagged itself as having the error.

You are assuming that the next firmware release is in Beta. It may be, it may not be.

Edited by stunsworth

Guys,

I don't know exactly what's the problem with Daniel's (OP) shutter. I can tell you when I was in San Francisco last April, I was taken pictures of the old trams when I got the message "Shutter fault" AND the shutter tried to recock over and over again.

I turned off the camera and I removed the battery. I put it back and as soon as I fixed the bottom plate (the power switch was set to OFF), the shutter tried to recock again and again.

I removed the battery once more and I went back to the hotel. So about one hour later, I tried again. Same thing, shutter tried to recock again and again.

I sent a mail to CS (Solms) and they replied immediately (it was the evening at SF and morning at Solms): They proposed me to pick up my camera and send it to New Jersey or Solms. As I was leaving SF the folowing day, I called them and I say if they could arrange to pick up my camera in Paris will be better.

Back in Paris, I tried the camera and it was working. No more problems. I called Solms and said that the camera seemed to be OK and I proposed them to cancel the order to pick up my camera.

Customer Service said "NO", the camera had to be inspected. Next day they picked it up and I got it back about 3 weeks later. They couldn't find anything wrong in two weeks of serious testing. I though it was just an electronic glitch and it was over.

Two days later in Paris, I was doing taking portraits of the son of a friend (and my solicitor) and I had exactly the same problem than is SF.

The camera went back to Solms. The found something wrong this time. They called the "chariot" (in French) and they said this piece of the shutter should be defective from factory (since I bought the camera). As I had no idea what could be this piece, I called them and I asked them to explain. It was very difficult for them to explain properly that in English or French but I undestood that what they called the "chariot" was piece that makes the shutter recock. Never mind, I though the problem was over.

Few weeks later, on holidays with a member of the forum in the South of France, we were taking holidays together (like twins... two chrome M8 with two MATE), my camera started to perform erratically. One first freeze, two freezes, three freezes and when I removed the lens, the shutter was half opened.

I emailed Solms, they picked up again the camera when I was back in Paris and sent me a new camera when the received the defective one.

Maybe is firmware problem, I don't know, my I haven't experienced that with my other camera nor with the new one.

I want to make clear something. The people working at Customer Service at Solms are very professional, helpful and friendly people (well, there's someone I don't like and I tried to avoid to contact... all depends on her/his mood -I prefer not mention the name of the person).

Yes, I'm disappointed with the quality of the M8 considerening the price and the reputation of the brand. No, I have nothing to say against CS. On the contrary, I only can say kind words and they have been always very helpful. I think I would have sold all my Leica gear otherwise (or if I had kept the person I mentioned before as my contact as CS).

Some people have problems with their M8 and SD cards (I never had those in my cameras but I've seen them in cameras of my friends and I'm sure ithas nothing to do with SD cards... because my cards, working properly in my bodies, didn't work on their bodies), some people have problems with the shutter (like me), others with darn line and hot pixels (like me), other the camera gets warms with the power switch set to "OFF" (like me), misaligned rangefinder (like me), mad thumb wheel (not me), coffee ring (not met -yet), camera freezes (I had only a few freezes), pictures not being recorded occasionally in the SD card (it happened to me with one camera)...

I bought two M8 in 2007 and I have used 5 M8 because Leica had to change three cameras. It has taken me three years to have my 2 M8 working flawless and I had problems in certain cameras I didn't have on the others.

So my conclusion, glitches are not repetable in all cameras and can be camera dependent. That's very weird and make thinks difficult for users and Leica.

I do sympathize with the OP because it's very fustraiting but I would advice him to call Solms and talk with them over the phone. Email is not the best way to communicate.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...Yes, I'm disappointed with the quality of the M8 considereing the price and the reputation of the brand. No, I have nothing to say against CS. On the contrary, I only can say kind words and they have been always very helpful. I think I would have sold all my Leica gear otherwise (or if I had kept the person I mentioned before as my contact as CS).

Some people have problems with their M8 and SD cards (I never had those in my cameras but I've seen them in cameras of my friends and I'm sure it has nothing to do with SD cards... because my cards, working properly in my bodies, didn't work on their bodies), some people have problems with the shutter (like me), others with darn line and hot pixels (like me), other the camera gets warms with the power switch set to "OFF" (like me), misaligned rangefinder (like me), mad thumb wheel (not me), coffee ring (not met -yet), camera freezes (I had only a few freezes), pictures not being recorded occasionally in the SD card (it happened to me with one camera)...

Multiply some of these experiences times X number of owners and it is pretty clear why the camera costs so much.

The only problem with the conclusion you reach is that neither you nor I know what value X has.

Hard numbers are difficult to come by.

From reading this forum over the past 3 years I am of the opinion that the number of M8 cameras that have been returned for some kind of warranty repair or adjustment is pretty high. If you count multiple returns on the same or replacement cameras, then the number of repairs might be higher than 100% of cameras sold.

This would be pretty costly for Leica but perhaps they are compensating by now making a hefty profit on out of warranty repairs. ;)

If you have another opinion, perhaps you have been reading a different forum - maybe the Bizzaro World Leica User Forum. ;)

Has your M8 been back for repair?

Pete.

No. I wouldn't even consider owning one at this point. The M9 looks much more appealing, but Leica will really have to get its act together and the camera will have to be more proven before I would consider taking a bite. I'm not going to buy something that could end up being sent oversees for months for repair.

The only person I know who has owned an M8 is a top level pro (National Geo and similar mags plus top commercial and advertising work.) He is my best frend and has been using Leicas for 30+ years and bought two M8s. Both broke on the job and Leica rushed him another body that also was defective. When he got his own bodies back, the frame lever fell off one of them. He sold them. He stuck to his film Leica but a year later bought another M8 for a project he was doing. It didn't take him long to get rid of that one too.

I probably know more than 100 pro photographers and I don't know a single one who is using an M8. Of course that doesn't mean there aren't pros out there who are using it and are happy. But my friend's experience and the numerous "horror" stories on this forum are pretty compelling reasons to dissuade me.

Edited by AlanG

If you count multiple returns on the same or replacement cameras, then the number of repairs might be higher than 100% of cameras sold.

ROFL. I rather doubt that somehow.

Some people have had problems, but neither you not I know what that represents as a percentage of total Leica sales - it's certainly not found by trying to remember the number of posts by a self selecting sample on a forum read by a minority of all Leica owners.

The opposite applies in the EU. It would be very unusual for someone to issue a quote for work like this without including VAT in the total.

I'm not sure if Leica is consistent. On the thread about strange artifacts, the owner was quoted a repair price from Leica that was 700 Euros plus VAT.

I figured as much. So what's your motive for using this thread to trash the camera? Non-buyers remorse? :rolleyes:

Pete.

I think you meant the complete opposite - might have bought one, but this forum convinced me not to. No remorse for that now. I'm not trashing anything. It is some of the M8 owners who post to this forum who do that. I'm just questioning and analyzing.

So why do you think Leica is having such a hard time penetrating the pro market? I'm waiting for Leica to figure this out too.

Edited by AlanG

ROFL. I rather doubt that somehow.

Some people have had problems, but neither you not I know what that represents as a percentage of total Leica sales - it's certainly not found by trying to remember the number of posts by a self selecting sample on a forum read by a minority of all Leica owners.

I think 100% of the initial batch of cameras was recalled. Then if you just look at this forum and see how many have sent their cameras back 2+ times, and compare that with how many reported no problems. You'll see that the total number of repairs could be quite high proportionately to the total number of cameras sold. This must be costly to Leica and they have to recoup these costs somehow.

I think if anything, this forum is equally divided by those who post because they have problems and those who are problem free and are total supporters of M8s and everything Leica. E.g. one can't say that this forum attracts users who simply want to report problems.

So why are enthusiastic M8 owners such advocates of making sure the used cameras have warranties?

Edited by AlanG

those who are problem free and are total supporters of M8s and everything Leica. .....one can't say that this forum attracts users who simply want to report problems.

So why are enthusiastic M8 owners such advocates of making sure the used cameras have warranties?

Alan

I am trying to remain polite in this forum - it is generally a very pleasant forum and way better than many - so ....

Firstly I AM a pro and I do use my M8 for work and, no, it has not let me down on a job.

I am not a total supporter of M8s and everything Leica - I give credit where due and my personal experience of and dealings with Leica have been excellent. You will find on a Leica forum that problems with Leicas are inevitably discussed and those who are dismayed over a problem tend to let off steam - where better, from their point of view to do it? That is part of human nature (I've just been to a meeting called by or local council and the same applied at this!).

Lastly, I would not buy ANY expensive digital camera without a warranty - and I'd apply this to ALL brands. Repairs to sensors, shutter, electronics to any high end camera can be very expensive and given that the history is unknown I want a fall back option if at all possible.

Neither you nor I know how many M8s have gone back under warranty. No hard facts are available, and if you have watched 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' you will know what assumptions are:D.

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Alan makes a good point here. If we're all so sure that Leica M8s are so reliable why would we all give the advice not to buy one without a really good warranty? It's because we all know in our hearts that they have a high probability of going wrong, no?

The M8 was my first Leica, it could well be my last.

I think if anything, this forum is equally divided by those who post because they have problems and those who are problem free and are total supporters of M8s and everything Leica.

Alan, don't you find, at least curious that those "Die Hard Leica Boys" here they never have problems with Leica products and any glitch they may find it's never Leica's fault but user error, SD error, card reader error or whatever...? Well, I do!... :D:rolleyes:

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

Is it just me or does the M8 forum seem to have a lot of people talking about problems with the camera right now - I just had a look around and people are bailing out left and right. With other people saying things like 'mine is back for the second time', 'mine was away for months' etc etc

What is going on! For such a reliable camera there sure seem to be a lot of issues happening right now!