An observation on forum etiquette, and a plea for cordial discourse.

Nicoleica

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well said Nicole.

I stopped looking here & posting for over a month until yesterday received a forum view survey and thought I'd give it a try again to see if *some people's* manners had improved. There's no need for insults just because a member asks what many might consider a basic or simple question - Forums exist to HELP people whether their needs are basic or complicated. I never had any insulting comments myself that I remember but seeing it dished out to others all the time was getting very sad and tiresome to read.

Negatives out of the way it has to be said that most members here are great and welcoming to all. Especially people like yourself Nicole, always friendly, always helpful and a good sense of humour too - So thanks to members like this! :)

i agree with nicole and well said that it can get a bit stinky and intolerable in here at times but it's not fair to exclude people because they have an opinion to share, whether it seems unpleasant or not. it can touch a raw nerve sometimes hearing the same old things repeating again and again but thanks to the broad collection of people, levels of understanding and expertise that exists here, newbies, oldies, pro's, amateurs, collectors, the list is endless and things are kept moving. censoring people would have a "stepford wives" effect on this community making it narrow and intolerant. despondent talent, especially newcomers will head elsewhere. it needs diversity to thrive. everyone belongs and deserves to be heard even though they may offend. i believe we can all learn and benefit from it in some way, learn how to stand up for one's work & photographic ideals in a public forum. remember that it's not the majority that upsets the sensibilities of the few..

Not complete diversity with seemingly 95% or so men vs women. Don't know what the stats are on women vs men as photographers/camera consumers, but seems disproportionately male here. Perhaps things are a bit different on the photo forums.

Jeff