M8 and Old Glass

andym911

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Try the B/W version

Dave

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...

M8 & Summicron 1:2/35 serie 2 Wetzlar

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Industar N61 50/2.8 bought for £20. Rather uninspired test shot plus 100%crop of the top left side. Quite surprised at the sharpness although the out of camera contrast is very low.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I am new to this scene.  My M8.2 is still stuck in customs.  I have the new Voigt Nokton 35mm 1.2 MC II.  I would like to buy some of the old lenses but am stymied by the mounts.  Can I use an adapter for an M39 or M42 and have the lens coupled to the rangefinder?  Do the old Russian Contax lenses fit with their mounts?  Any help at all in identifying good, old lenses would be welcomed.  Thanks.

Welcome. That's a rather broad question, and you'll find loads of info by searching the forum. Here's some to get you started.

An LTM to M adapter ring will allow you to mount M39 rangefinder lenses on any M mount camera and retain RF coupling. Depending on the lens, make sure you select the appropriate adapter type (they are available for 28-90, 35-135 or 50-75 focal length pairs) to ensure that the corresponding framelines are brought up in the finder. Avoid the cheapest adapters, as they are likely to give you mounting and/or focussing issues of all sorts.

It is possible to mount M42 lenses on an M camera, but you won't have RF coupling.

Most Contax RF lenses (incl. Russian ones) will work and may provide coupling as long as (a) they are 50mm or longer and (b) you use a suitable Contax to M adapter (essentially a customized helicoid). Note that these adapters are not cheap and their cost may greatly exceed the value of the lens itself, but the investment could be worthwhile if you own several lenses.

Regarding old lenses, there are just too many to provide a meaningful recommendation without you providing more specific information, such as preferred focal length(s), price range, etc. 

Good luck in your quest - it's a long (but fascinating) journey...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Its over 10 years ago that I started this thread as Andym911.

Just sharing a recent image showing that M8 and old glass still works!

Never had to repair the camera and is still going strong.

Elmar 3,5 and 160asa.

thanks for looking

Andy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, andym91 said:

Hi Andy,

I'm just curious as to the origin of your forum name and the change from 911 to 91.  Please feel free to ignore my curiosity if you'd rather not explain.

Pete.

Pete

sure no problem...

A few years ago after years as am avid poster I decided to leave the forum for other interests.I then cancelled my account as Andym911.

A while back I wanted to get back in with my old Andym911 user name but was not possible, hence my new Andym91 registered as a 'new user'.

Have spent last few years focussing on Golf but it seems my golf and photographic talents are similar 😂

best

andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, andym91 said:

Have spent last few years focussing on Golf but it seems my golf and photographic talents are similar 😂

Remembering some of your lovely pictures of your daughter on film back then I suspect you're probably a 'scratch' golfer as well. ^_^

Pete.

Pete thanks but a million miles away from a scratch golfer...but I enjoy the game tremendously 😊

My daughter is now a young woman😍

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 3:50 AM, andym91 said:

Just sharing a recent image showing that M8 and old glass still works!

Never had to repair the camera and is still going strong.

Elmar 3,5 and 160asa.

thanks for looking

Andy

The images in this thread were a contributing factor in my deciding to purchase just two days ago an M8.2, the arrival of which I am eagerly awaiting.  So, thanks to all the contributors to this thread, and especially to Andy, for starting the thread.  My M8.2 being shipped from Japan to the U.S. is supposed to arrive on Tuesday.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Chuck said:

The images in this thread were a contributing factor in my deciding to purchase just two days ago an M8.2, the arrival of which I am eagerly awaiting.  So, thanks to all the contributors to this thread, and especially to Andy, for starting the thread.  My M8.2 being shipped from Japan to the U.S. is supposed to arrive on Tuesday.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your M8.2 when it arrives. It's still an amazing camera.

Please share your thoughts with us once you've had a chance to use it?

Ernst

• Like 1