M8 and Old Glass

andym911

Only for transport, not for taking photos.

meaning there is one for sale for the M3 with the goggles. Can i remove the googles and use the lens on the M8 - or is it fixed to the lens? Cant see it on the photo. Sorry if this is a rookie question- been used to the R lenses more.

• Like 1

meaning there is one for sale for the M3 with the goggles. Can i remove the googles and use the lens on the M8 - or is it fixed to the lens? Cant see it on the photo. Sorry if this is a rookie question- been used to the R lenses more.

Satya, just have a look at http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-lenses/297808-summaron-35mm-f-3-5-m6.html

The goggled Summaron 35 was designed for the M3.

The 50-mm viewfinder of the M3 and any other M-cameras is reduced through the lens on 35 mm.

You can use this lens on any M, but the goggles must be plugged on the Summaron 35, because otherwise the distance can not be set exactly and you will always see the wrong 50-mm-frame.

The glasses should only be removed for transport of the lens.

If you have no M3, buying another 35mm lens without goggles would be more recommendable, since the goggles makes the lens quite unwieldy.

Translation in German as the questioner is from Vienna:

Das bebrillte Summaron 35 wurde für die M3 konzipiert.

Der 50-mm-Sucher der M3 und anderer M-Kameras wird durch die Brille auf 35 mm verkleinert.

Man kann dieses Objektiv auf jeder M verwenden, aber die Brille muss auf dem Summaron 35 aufgesteckt bleiben, weil sonst die Entfernung nicht mehr exakt eingestellt werden kann und immer der falsche 50-mm-Rahmen eingespiegelt wird.

Die Brille sollte nur zum Transport des Objektives abgenommen werden.

Wenn keine M3 vorhanden ist, wäre der Kauf eines anderen 35mm Objektives ohne Brille empfehlenswerter, da die Brille das Objektiv recht unhandlich werden lässt.

Yes, the goggles are necessary for correct focusing with this lens. And they serve a useful purpose even on M cameras other than the M3. For years I had difficulty seeing the entire 35mm framelines on my M2. The goggled Summaron (or Summicron, or Summilux) effectively shrinks the 35mm wide view to fit inside the 50mm framelines, making it much more usable for me. And I can even see what's happening around the outside of the framelines, a normal advantage of an RF camera missing with the M2's 35mm frame.

Of course the M2 framelines fill the viewfinder more than later M cameras, but I still find the goggled 35mm lens easier to use on my M9. On the M8, with the 1.3 "crop factor", the goggles lose their advantage IMO, because the 35mm framelines are adequately easy to use, without.

• Like 1

Don't know if this lens qualify - M8/Sumicron 35 v4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

50m 1.4 Canon

• Like 5

A life well lived ?

50mm cannon 1.4

• Like 3

M8 + 50mm Summilux V1

• Like 15

Last week i picked up a 1949 Leica 50mm f2 Summitar in pretty good condition - it's one of the 10 bladed, violet coated versions and i gotta say, i really love it's glow, swirly bokeh and colours, even tho i mainly shoot black and white.

Here's a few shots on my M8 without IR filter (waiting for the adapter to arrive atm) all shot wide open

10419660616_a0c11c26dd_b.jpg

What A Lovely Little Pup by Cris Rose, on Flickr

10401599946_ca1cff791f_b.jpg

Bilingual by Cris Rose, on Flickr

10346224293_5338b1479c_b.jpg

Vicious Guard Dogs Redux by Cris Rose, on Flickr

• Like 8

M8 with 35 pre-aspheric Summilux wide open.

• Like 18