M8 and Old Glass

andym911

The summar is a very low contrast lens and has a slightly cold character.

The picture was original a liitle colder and with less color saturation.

It is tweaked around 300 Kelvin warmer and dolor saturation + 15% in DNG.

I don't think the Summar is as cold as the later Summitar. The Summitar was OK on Kodachrome but I don't like its rendition at all on modern colour negative film, where it is much too blue. I have not been using a UV filter and I wonder if that is the issue, that I am picking up too much UV. I asked DAG ages ago to make me a Summitar A36 to e39 adapter but he never got round to it. I think that HeavyStar make them now. I have ended up just leaving Rollei Retro B&W film in my IIF and using either my Contax IIA or M4 for colour negative film, which solves the problem.

Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

Canon 50 1,2 LTM @ F8

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I asked DAG ages ago to make me a Summitar A36 to e39 adapter but he never got round to it. I think that HeavyStar make them now. I have ended up just leaving Rollei Retro B&W film in my IIF and using either my Contax IIA or M4 for colour negative film, which solves the problem.

Wilson

Just received the SNHOO from Heavystar, it's screws in perfectly into the Summitar .

Please note I'm just a customer and have no affiliation with the brand I mentioned .

Edited by jmanivelle

Wow!

Is it just me or does this Canon 1.2 even @ ƒ8 a very gentle, beautiful rendering (details and colours)?

I love this look - great shot!

Period fast lenses were generally "schizophrenic": creamy at full aperture and evenly sharp at lower speed. It's quite like having two lenses in one. A magic that's gone lost with most modern optics.

Cheers,

Bruno

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same focal length, same aperture,

different day, different light

1. Canon 50mm 1,2 LTM @ F2

2. Summar 50mm 2,0 @ F2

Look for the bokeh, and the 3 dimensonal springing sharpness of the Summar.

Edited by Aviator
  • Like 2

and one for the fine color rendition of the Canon 50 1,2 LTM @ F 1,4

I love these old and "cheap" lenses.

• Like 1

Same focal length, same aperture,

different day, different light

1. Canon 50mm 1,2 LTM @ F2

2. Summar 50mm 2,0 @ F2

Look for the bokeh, and the 3 dimensonal springing sharpness of the Summar.

I suspect you have quite a bit of veiling glare with the Summar. Were you using a hood or like most of us with Summars, Summitars and Collapsible Summicrons, trying to get away without :)

The contrast is just so much lower than the Canon. That is a very nice shot with the Canon.

Wilson

I suspect you have quite a bit of veiling glare with the Summar. Were you using a hood or like most of us with Summars, Summitars and Collapsible Summicrons, trying to get away without :)

The contrast is just so much lower than the Canon. That is a very nice shot with the Canon.

Wilson

Pls bear in mind that whilst the Canon is coated or multicoated, the Summar is not at all. Lower contrast is therefore inherent and the lens might be quite prone to render a veiling even if the glass is clean.

Besides, I'm with Aviator as he says that the Summar has a better spatial/tridimensionality rendition.

Cheers,

Bruno

These are great photos! I have a 35mm Summaron f/3.5, 50 mm Summicron collapsible f/2, and a 90mm Summicron f/2. All work superbly with my Leica M8.2, which I just acquired in October. I also bought a newer (1980's) 50 mm Summicron f/2 and a 28 mm Elmarit f/2.8 coded. Before that (and until I had enough $$ to buy a Nikon SLR and two DSLR's over the years) I was using my father's Leica M3 double-stroke which I inherited in 1965 and began using at the age of 13 yrs. I still have the M3 and am looking forward to running some B&W through it soon. If the old glass works (with IR cut out filters on M8's) on the newer M series digital cameras, why not use these treasures? They are cheaper to buy on eBay and elsewhere. My favorite lens so far? The f/3.5 Summaron made in the 1950's! Still can't believe it! :)

Were you using a hood or like most of us with Summars, Summitars and Collapsible Summicrons, trying to get away without :)

Wilson

I used an A36-E39 adapter ring and an E39 screw in vented hood.

Light with the Summar shot was diffuse (low 8/8 ceiling), with the Canon shot it was harsher (4/8 ceiling, sun in the back)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chimney on Fire ...

I just happened to pass by.

All pictures Leica M8 with 1962 Summicron 50mm rigid.

Some pictures cropped.

• Like 3