Domke or Billingham

henkv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I doubt between the Domke F-5XB case:

41TdKkvva6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

or the Billingham Hadley Small:

billinghamfront.jpg?w=300&h=200

for my M9 and 2-3 lenses (1 lens on camera, 2 others in the case).

Any thoughts about the pros and cons?

Edited by henkv

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the standard Billingham medium size in black/black/chrome, the small would be too small for me unless it were one camera two lenses only. I can work with two Ms and three to four lenses stacked comfortably. I don't change lenses much during action. Memory cards and extra batteries fit well into the outer covered compartments. I like the absence of velcro and the quiet, refined look of the bag. If you need to work in a quiet, dignified environment, this is a very good bag. The additional shoulder strap prevents slipping. Its comfortable. I also have Domke bags, but prefer Billingham for quiet settings and for its look. Domke is great for knocking about, maybe a bit more versatile

When storing the larger M lenses or bodies with extra viewfinder in the Billingham, the cameras sometimes feel a bit cramped and I have found that I wish for the largest size, and will likely get one. Weight can be an issue as bag size increases, so you might look into fanny packs to distribute the weight. For travel, the handle is nice on the "pro"variety and there are times I miss having one as an alternative to carrying the bag on my shoulder, but I have found the carry strap gets in the way of the smooth finish and streamlined working qualities of the bag that I like so much.

Domke and Billingham are both great Domke's lower price makes it a great deal, but in quiet settings, the Velcro can be very very loud.

Good luck!

I have the Domke F5XB in Olive. It seems small but it holds the M9 with lens and three additional lenses. After adding two additional dividers, it will also hold the extra battery, charger, RRS body plate, cable release and other small things. Also the rugged look of the Domke bags looks better with age.

Pete

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use this Domke with M9 + lens on in the middle compartiment and two additional lenses, one on each side. It works perfectly and I especially like the fact it has a zipper, leaving unwanted hands out of it in the metro ;)

I agree with Yanidel about the Domke - I also would recommend that you purchase the Domke U.S. Post Office Shoulder Pad for the Domke F-5XB, as it does wonders for your body after hours in the field. I believe B&H sells the Pad for $12.99 - well worth it!

Vic

Safrotto - made like the Domkes used to be.

Regards,

Bill

Still have my Domke which I bought in 1978. Tough canvas and heavy clips. It's a bag which holds a lot of gear. This can be a disadvantage 'cause you're tempted to fill it up. ;)

Doug

I have the Domke and the Hadley Pro (not small). I find I use the Domke more--especially since it doubles as a fanny pack. However, I felt I needed to beef up the padding on the Domke--I was really disappointed at the cheap feeling, thin padding. I just added some all around. When I first got the Domke I almost gave it away before I even used it. Glad I didn't.

Ken

Still have my Domke which I bought in 1978. Tough canvas and heavy clips. It's a bag which holds a lot of gear. This can be a disadvantage 'cause you're tempted to fill it up. ;)

Doug

That's exactly what I mean. I have a Domke of the same vintage, and another bought 10 years later. The later model doesn't hold a candle to the earlier, but the Safrottos are built like Domkes used to be. And before anyone says they are copies, they are not. Safrotto legitimately bought the designs when Domke went bust - the current Domke is not the original company.

Regards,

Bill

Guest Digiuser
My vote is Domke - but they're over priced. Problem is that Safrotto's shipping costs to Europe are ridiculous - $35 - more or less the same price as the bag.

Anyone know any European importer?

Fotopartner a shop in Hamburg.

Domke

My vote is Domke - but they're over priced. Problem is that Safrotto's shipping costs to Europe are ridiculous - $35 - more or less the same price as the bag.

Anyone know any European importer?

Safrotto are the equivalent of Kevin Kline jeans and Channel perfume. Domke are overpriced compared to Safrotto because they did the design development and Safrotto are just rip off merchants.

Guest ccmsosse

I have the Domke F-803 Camera Satchel (black) and Billingham Combi bag (Black)

The Billingham is awesome - the M9+Noctilux or M9+75 Summarit will slide in easily and there is room for a second body (ie GF1) or 2-3 lenses.

The Domke does not work as well unless I remove the inserts - then I lack protection for the M9 or lenses.

*sigh*

Wrong...

Read up three posts...

??

So they are legitimately using Domke designs? OK I'll buy that but have you looked at the rest of their range?

Strike me pink but I could swear I can see a thinktank glass taxi, several lowepro designs, a large chunk of the lightware range, at least one crumpler design .. and doesn't that bag they call the m10 not the spit of a Kata 3in1 slingback? Are you telling me they got ALL of those designs legitimately? If so then I have a ΓΕΙΚΑ Μϑ I'd like to sell you. ;)

http://www.safrotto.com/Product.html

Edited by Noel Holland