135mm 2.8 questions

daleeman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today, pending UPS delivery, I should get a 135mm f2.8 lens. Wanted one of these for a long time with my M2, but can finally afford one these days off eBay.

My questions are how do I tell if it is a series VII or 55mm filter? I would not be shocked if someone came back and told me they are the same, but I do not believe that to be the case.

Also, is there any history with back focus issues with these lenses or are they just shapr no matter what?

Truly looking forward to useing this glass. Wondering how it will feel, front heavy or what. I also wonder if it will mount with the Leica grip on the camera or without the grip but with a half case that I am trying out now.

Any answers would be apreciated and so would any photos taken with the lens posted to this thread would make my day.

Lee

Under # 2788926 it will need either a series VII with adapter 14161 or a filter E54, unless it has been modified to E55 (that was a factory upgrade in the past). It is quite a decent lens, but heavy and unwieldy.

The goggles are a plus and a minus at the same time (make it not easy to carry & storage, but enlarged framing is appreciable); about backfocusing... well my item (old and HEAVILY used) is definitely not spot on focus at near distances... and that's the reason for I prefer the Tele Elmar... what is the usefulness to have a f 2,8 lens if you don't feel comfortable to use it wide open ?

The goggles are a plus and a minus at the same time (make it not easy to carry & storage, but enlarged framing is appreciable); about backfocusing... well my item (old and HEAVILY used) is definitely not spot on focus at near distances... and that's the reason for I prefer the Tele Elmar... what is the usefulness to have a f 2,8 lens if you don't feel comfortable to use it wide open ?

My 135 2.8 is spot on at near distances up to 5-6 m good also at infinity, but it is difficult to focus at the awkward 30 to 100 m range.

Today, pending UPS delivery, I should get a 135mm f2.8 lens. Wanted one of these for a long time with my M2, but can finally afford one these days off eBay.

My questions are how do I tell if it is a series VII or 55mm filter? I would not be shocked if someone came back and told me they are the same, but I do not believe that to be the case.

Also, is there any history with back focus issues with these lenses or are they just shapr no matter what?

Truly looking forward to useing this glass. Wondering how it will feel, front heavy or what. I also wonder if it will mount with the Leica grip on the camera or without the grip but with a half case that I am trying out now.

Any answers would be apreciated and so would any photos taken with the lens posted to this thread would make my day.

Lee

Hope it works out for you. I had a Series VII. I had some issues with mounting it on my camera with a Luigi case and grip. At 2.8 it's fast but not sure if I'd consider my copy particularly sharp, definitely wasn't contrasty. Back-focus and sharpness though are separate issues. It is easier to focus with the goggles.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I purchased this lens about a month ago and really love using it. The weight makes it steady and the viewfinder image is much enlarged over the non goggle Tele Elmar that I also have. Also I use it with the Luigi case (without grip) on my M8 and have had no problems with the case interference (I love the case with the flap Luigi !). I have used the lens mostly in very contrasty situations so that is not an issue (snow, snow, and more snow and back light in train stations and airports when stuck there etc.). Because I have only had the lens for a month maybe I am in the honeymoon stage. Also the price in Europe is much better than in Korea where it was costing over $800 when you could find one! It is the early version but I found it sharp even wide open. I purchased the lens on this forum too!!!