Sign in to follow this  
Frumkco

50mm summicron current version - Focus issue?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought a current version 50mm summicron and when I focus from far to near, the rangefinder reaches its limit at .7 meters (like it should) but the focus ring on the lens does not. It keeps turning past its 0.7 marking, maybe another 3/8 of an inch. I have tried the lens on multiple bodies with the same result. Anyone familiar with this? Advice?

I don't see any problem here.

To me it is just that the have not marked 0,65 on the lens. Just like they have not marked 0,9 and 1.27 and several others.

If I set the lens to 0,7 and then move the camera until the two images in the rangefinder coincide, and then turn the lens past 0,7 without moving the camera, then the two images do not coincide any more. If I then move the camera closer to the target, then the two images coincide again. This just shows me that the lens focuses closer than 0,7. The figure of 0,65 mentioned above is in fact the real closest range figure for my lens.

I have heard that some CV lenses focus as close as 0,5m but that is not indicated on these lenses. Perhaps because there is a problem with close ups that would be better solved by using a macro lens.

So don't worry. Go make pictures!

Thanks for the quick responses and reassurance. I will try to live with it for a bit. But if I later decide I want the lens to stop focusing exactly at the minimum distance, do you think that's an easy modification?

Thanks for the quick responses and reassurance. I will try to live with it for a bit. But if I later decide I want the lens to stop focusing exactly at the minimum distance, do you think that's an easy modification?

It may be easier to have 0,65 engraved on the lens barrel.

Umm, why does that matter? On the M cameras, you focus with the RF patch; I don't care what it says on the focus ring. I can't see what difference it makes at all.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Either way, my rangefinder won't focus closer than .7 even if the lens does, but the suggestions are appreciated. I just bought 150 rolls of tri-x so I'm going to start shooting now. Thanks again for your timely comments and have a good weekend!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By shoots
      SOS HELP!!!
      I dropped my Leica M4 and according to the NYC Camera Doctor repair team, the prism that creates the ghost image in the rangefinder is dislocated and needs to be replaced. They suggested that I send it directly into Leica for repairs, becuase the rangefinder is a complicated mechanism they wern't equipt to fix. They also let me know that Leica, located in New Jersey, dosen't do specific repairs and will want to do a full tune-up. Money is a concern, and I'm not prepared to pay $1000-ish if I can at all avoid it. I just want my range-finder to be functional.
      Has anyone had rangefinder work done, espeically on an M4? Would you advise having this work done by Leica or an outside repair person, such as DAG? Any experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      E
    • By drkgrrts
      For sale is a Leica Apo-Summicron-SL 75mm f/2 asph in pristine condition. It comes in all its splendor with both caps and sunhood, the original packaging, and a Cokin Pure Harmonie ultra thin filter. The lens was originally bought in March 2018, so there are four months of warranty left.  
    • By MEC
      Hello All. 
      I have a Summicron 28mm 2.0 Aspherical Lens. The model on the lens is "4068358" 
      Does anyone have info about this specific version? 
      Thanks, 
      Michael 
    • By UltraDan
      Hi, I have a 50mm summicron on an m4 body for film and was looking to pickup a digital body and adapter to use the lens on, I’m looking at the Fuji xpro 1 as it’s available cheaply and the form factor looks similar to my M4. Has anybody used an xpro with Leica m lens’s and if so how did they find the experience ? I’m not overly concerned about image quality as to be honest all digital raw files are easy to manipulate/work with. Other than the xpro there is the Sony Alpha range. Any info on this topic would be great, I have read through the topics on here but wanted an up to date assessment of the idea.

thanks ! 
    • By VictoriaC
      LEICA M7 (0.72 VF) BODY #3328314 in a set with Leica Summicron 50mm f2-M 6-Bit #4037804. BEAUTIFUL CONDITION BOXED & COMPLETE
      I’m offering for sale my Leica M7 (0.72 VF) #3328314 in the starter set with a Leica Summicron 50mm f2 -M 6-Bit #4037804 set, bought from Red Dot Cameras London. I was using this regularly, along with a number of other film bodies I have as I am a bit of a collector. I mainly shoot digital but I still run a film through it regularly just to make sure it is working well. This is a wonderful camera to use and the lens is perfect.
      The camera comes complete with all original packaging, an unused camera strap, manual and body cap and a battery which I have not left inside the camera.
      The camera is in beautiful condition with just a little bit of brass rubbing, the lens has a little cosmetic rubbing on the rim as may be seen in the photograph but the glass itself is perfect. I hope the images attest to the condition of the camera and speak for themselves. I have more photos of the camera and lens if you want to see the condition of them - the advert limits how many photos I can post.
      Priced at £2300 GBP.  Bank transfer or cash on collection from my SW London UK home (in Wandsworth). Alternatively the camera will be packaged very securely and postage will be charged extra at cost.
      Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.  Regards, Victoria