50mm summicron current version - Focus issue?

Frumkco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just bought a current version 50mm summicron and when I focus from far to near, the rangefinder reaches its limit at .7 meters (like it should) but the focus ring on the lens does not. It keeps turning past its 0.7 marking, maybe another 3/8 of an inch. I have tried the lens on multiple bodies with the same result. Anyone familiar with this? Advice?

I don't see any problem here.

To me it is just that the have not marked 0,65 on the lens. Just like they have not marked 0,9 and 1.27 and several others.

If I set the lens to 0,7 and then move the camera until the two images in the rangefinder coincide, and then turn the lens past 0,7 without moving the camera, then the two images do not coincide any more. If I then move the camera closer to the target, then the two images coincide again. This just shows me that the lens focuses closer than 0,7. The figure of 0,65 mentioned above is in fact the real closest range figure for my lens.

I have heard that some CV lenses focus as close as 0,5m but that is not indicated on these lenses. Perhaps because there is a problem with close ups that would be better solved by using a macro lens.

So don't worry. Go make pictures!

Thanks for the quick responses and reassurance. I will try to live with it for a bit. But if I later decide I want the lens to stop focusing exactly at the minimum distance, do you think that's an easy modification?

It may be easier to have 0,65 engraved on the lens barrel.

Thanks for the quick responses and reassurance. I will try to live with it for a bit. But if I later decide I want the lens to stop focusing exactly at the minimum distance, do you think that's an easy modification?

Umm, why does that matter? On the M cameras, you focus with the RF patch; I don't care what it says on the focus ring. I can't see what difference it makes at all.