Leica Diopters

sunil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been looking at attaching a Leica diopter to my M8 and soon to be acquired M9. I happen to be far sighted (Presbyopia) and need glasses for reading only. I have found that lately I have been having trouble focusing sharply on objects that are less than about 15 feet away. Does anyone else here use a Leica (or other brand) diopter with the condition of Presbyopia? What has been your experience? I am not sure how the focusing mechanism in the M series works. Is one actually looking at the actual distance of the object or is one looking much closer in the viewfinder screen just a few centimeters away?

I'd greatly appreciate your feedback and experience from the use of the diopters. Unfortunately most camera stores stocking Leica tell me they have to be custom ordered so its not really possible to test them out first.

If you do a search of the forum you will find many nswers to this question.

In short many people use them, mostly those that need reading glasses like me.

The diopter strength you need is not the same as your reading glasses, it is usually less then that. The M View/Rangefinder is set at a fixed distance of 7 feet (2 meters). So you need a diopter in the strength that lets you see well, clear, at 2 meters (7 feet).

Unfortunately most camera stores stocking Leica tell me they have to be custom ordered so its not really possible to test them out first.

I've posted this about 30 times before...;) Go to your optician, hold his testing lenses in front of the viewfinder, look through it and you'll see which one is best for you.....

And they don't have to be custom ordered, it is just that most stores don't bother to stock them.

Does anyone else here use a Leica (or other brand) diopter with the condition of Presbyopia? What has been your experience? I am not sure how the focusing mechanism in the M series works. Is one actually looking at the actual distance of the object or is one looking much closer in the viewfinder screen just a few centimeters away?

I have the same condition. I need a +2.00 correction in my reading glasses. The M8.2 viewfinder is -0.5 diopter. The addition of a +1.5 Diopter correction eyepiece lets me focus properly with my M8.2. (-0.5 plus +1.5 gives me the necessary 2.00 correction.)

I have the same condition. I need a +2.00 correction in my reading glasses. The M8.2 viewfinder is -0.5 diopter. The addition of a +1.5 Diopter correction eyepiece lets me focus properly with my M8.2. (-0.5 plus +1.5 gives me the necessary 2.00 correction.)

I think, no I know, your math is off, way off. -.5 (+) +1.5 does not equal +2, it equals +1.

As I stated in my post above. The Leica R/V finder is set at a FIXED DISTANCE of 2 meters (7 feet). So you need a diopter that give you good/clear vision at that distance.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think, no I know, your math is off, way off. -.5 (+) +1.5 does not equal +2, it equals +1.

When you are discussing diopters the difference between -0.5 and +1.50 is 2, which matches the amount of correction I need to see at near distances. I need a +2 correction. That is why a +1.5 Correction eyepiece works and a + 2 does not.

I bought a +1.0 diopter this week before my next trip (next week). As mentioned above, most dealers don't readily stock them. I believe they should have ready access to them at least, for testing purposes. Mine was 2nd hand (AUD$90). As soon as I fitted it I experienced a marked improvement. I don't know if a different strength would be better because there was not one to try. I am long sighted and wear multifocal glasses for all distances.

I need reading glasses but am OK for distance (apart from night time driving when I do wear glasses) - hate wearing glasses for photography. I couldn't use an M without a diopter - get one that's right for you (an easy test is to get one that ensures the shutter speed number sharp in the viewfinder is sharp).

If your eyesight's less than 100%, once you've got a diopter on the camera you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. The great thing with the M9 is that the info screen is really clear and I can use this without recourse to squinting!

Folks, sincere thanks to all of you for the great feedback. My distance sight is fine but I use +2.0 diopters to read. I suspect I probably need a +1.0 diopter to focus at 2m as Shootist suggests. However, Jaapv's comments make a lot of sense in that before plunking down $100 for the eyepiece, I will go down to my friendly optometrist and check out the testing lenses with the camera.

Just one question for folks like Luke, Erl and Chris who seem to have the same condition as mine - does having the diopter present a problem when you are looking at distant objects through the viewfinder? If I wear reading glasses, distant objects are fuzzy but I can read perfectly well. Wouldn't this be the case with the diopters as well?

I've posted this about 30 times before...;) Go to your optician, hold his testing lenses in front of the viewfinder, look through it and you'll see which one is best for you.....

Or if you live in the UK go to your nearest large supermarket or "pound shop".

Sunil, the diopter is fine on your VF for all ranges. When looking through the VF you are actually looking at a virtual image created by the lens at 2 metres, regardless of how far away the subject really is. Truly, the diopter solution is very good. Of course, it does not correct foe astigmatism which I also have, but that is not serious.

Folks, sincere thanks to all of you for the great feedback. My distance sight is fine but I use +2.0 diopters to read. I suspect I probably need a +1.0 diopter to focus at 2m as Shootist suggests. However, Jaapv's comments make a lot of sense in that before plunking down $100 for the eyepiece, I will go down to my friendly optometrist and check out the testing lenses with the camera.

Just one question for folks like Luke, Erl and Chris who seem to have the same condition as mine - does having the diopter present a problem when you are looking at distant objects through the viewfinder? If I wear reading glasses, distant objects are fuzzy but I can read perfectly well. Wouldn't this be the case with the diopters as well?

The reason distant object are fuzzy when you use your reading glasses is they are to strong to give you a clear image at the fixed VF distance of 2 meters.

That is why Jaapv and others suggest to try out lower strength lenses at your optometrist or a place that has the over the counter reading glasses.

Sunil, the diopter is fine on your VF for all ranges. When looking through the VF you are actually looking at a virtual image created by the lens at 2 metres, regardless of how far away the subject really is. Truly, the diopter solution is very good. Of course, it does not correct foe astigmatism which I also have, but that is not serious.

Thanks again. That makes sense so off to the optician I am.

• 11 years later...
On 6/16/2021 at 8:35 PM, Lisa Davidson said:

I just got a Leica M-A, and I cannot get the diopter to screw into it.  I have had this before, with other models.  I want a -2.0 diopter.  What is happening here?  Thank you.

Perhaps you have a Leica Correction lens II, which are sized for the larger M10 eyepiece?