Custom Printer/Paper ICC Profiles

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm using a recently purchased ColorMunkiPhoto to create custom printer (Epson R2400) and paper profiles. Unfortunately, I don't know how to access/display the Printer Dialog Box (to turn off printer color management, adjust resolution and paper types, etc.) before printing and scanning the Test Charts. So far, neither Epson nor X-rite technical support have been able to provide useful guidance. Can anyone help? Thanks.

I had similar trouble when I first installed my printer.

Drove me crazy:

If you are on a mac os x, when you click on file>print in various programs, you will see a box showing the choice/name of the printer and just to the right of the name two little up and down arrows which are used to open the list for choosing the printer if you have more than one. Just to the right of the box is a down arrow with no label which is easy to confuse with the printer choice function arrows. Click on that down arrow and low and behold, the whole dialog box expands to show the printer options including turning on/off color adjustment in the printer driver.

Michael

I had similar trouble when I first installed my printer.

Drove me crazy:

If you are on a mac os x, when you click on file>print in various programs, you will see a box showing the choice/name of the printer and just to the right of the name two little up and down arrows which are used to open the list for choosing the printer if you have more than one. Just to the right of the box is a down arrow with no label which is easy to confuse with the printer choice function arrows. Click on that down arrow and low and behold, the whole dialog box expands to show the printer options including turning on/off color adjustment in the printer driver.

Michael

Michael, I understand that - and am using Mac OS-X (10.6.2). However, when in the ColorMunki software, "File" is not available either in the top toolbar or in the program.

Ok. Here is how it works for me.

When I fire up colormunki, I close the window that would let you choose to learn more about various things. Then I am at the main colormunki menu. There are about 4 options; I choose: Profile my Printer.

I may see a list of instructions about the steps to profile the printer. One of the steps is to turn the color adjustment off in the printer driver dialogue box.

That is sort of confusing because it seems to imply you must have already done that or go someplace to do it before you continue. Actually, you get to the place to do that when you continue thru the process. Therefore read those instructions (but do nothing) and then click next/continue. Then I am at a page where I choose to make a new profile, choose which of my printers I want to profile and name my paper. The paper name is one I make up as a 'nickname' for the paper I will be using and this will end up in the filename of the profile.

Then I click 'next'. I see a little picture of a color chart pointed to a printer. I make sure, 'I already have a target' is _unchecked_, and click 'print'. That brings up the dialogue box with the confusing down arrows I described in my previous post, and when you click on the right unlabeled down arrow, it opens up the printer driver dialogue box and that is where you turn of color adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for your explanation. After many tries, I got the same guidance from ColorMunki tech. support. The key is to click on the large, downward-facing arrow to the right of the block showing the printer; then the printer driver adjustments are available.

Even with monitor (ColorMunki) calibrated to 80 luminance, I can only adjust mine down to about 92. So, I need to increase brightness & contrast in order for the print to approximate the original image shown on the monitor.

Thanks, again.