Leicaflex help

Tony Smith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I aquired a mark 1 Leicaflex off ebay which required extensive repairs. It now operates beautifully! However can anyone tell me if there is a setting whereby the light meter can be switched off. I am aware that the mark 2 version and on the SL the meter is switched on and off using the wind on lever but on this model I can't sort it out.

I aquired a mark 1 Leicaflex off ebay which required extensive repairs. It now operates beautifully! However can anyone tell me if there is a setting whereby the light meter can be switched off. I am aware that the mark 2 version and on the SL the meter is switched on and off using the wind on lever but on this model I can't sort it out.

You asked this a couple of days ago in the Leica Collectors and Historica forum. The answer hasn't changed.:D

Will for the risk of being repetitive and redundant, the light meter on both SL and SL 2 are "turned off " by making sure the rewind lever is flush with the camera body, just a quick flick back, gently and the light meter is on.

Lastly there is no such thing as a Leicaflex Mrk 11..thats a Canon term used for their EOS "plastic" cameras.. no Leicaflex body is made of plastic like the Canons are

There was..Leicaflex..1964 to 1965.... Leicaflex SL 1968 to 1971...Leicaflex SL 2 1974 onwards..they lost money on every SL 2 made, production was very short , I think 9 months or less

quote from Wiki:Leicaflex SL2/SL2 MOT — 1974 — refinement of the SL with more sensitive light meter and improved body shape. Thought by some to be the toughest 35mm SLR ever built. The Leica Solms museum has on display an SL2 MOT with Motor and 35mm Summicron which survived a 25,000 foot fall from a Phantom II fighter jet: battered but in one piece, and deemed repairable by Leica. Only about 1,000 SL2 MOTs were made. The SL2 was the swan-song of the Leicaflexes; the SL2 reportedly cost Leitz more to manufacture than it recouped in sales, and motivated the company to collaborate with Minolta for their next series of electronic cameras. The SL2 would also be the last mechanical Leica SLR for 14 years.

Cheers, JRM

... there is no such thing as a Leicaflex Mrk 11..

The camera now known as the Leicaflex Standard was made in 4 primary variants, with significant internal changes between some of the versions. The first two versions had a film counter window shaped vaguely like a slice of pie and no meter on/off switch. Eliminate power drain by putting a cap on the lens. These two versions are popularly known as Type 1.

The 3rd and 4th versions have a round exposure counter window, and have an SL/SL2-type meter switch. These two versions are known as Type 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The camera now known as the Leicaflex Standard was made in 4 primary variants, with significant internal changes between some of the versions. The first two versions had a film counter window shaped vaguely like a slice of pie and no meter on/off switch. Eliminate power drain by putting a cap on the lens. These two versions are popularly known as Type 1.

The 3rd and 4th versions have a round exposure counter window, and have an SL/SL2-type meter switch. These two versions are known as Type 2

..only the "mot's" are without the switch....

Eliminate power drain by putting a cap on the lens.

Slip of the pen,Doug? Were you thinking of the Pentax K1000?

(Anyone who's baffled by this: the Leicaflex "standard" meter cell is on the front of the camera, so the lens cap won't make any difference.)

Lastly there is no such thing as a Leicaflex Mrk 11..thats a Canon term used for their EOS "plastic" cameras.. no Leicaflex body is made of plastic like the Canons are

I think the OP is talking about the original Leicaflex which didn't have TTL metering.

For accuracy, the higher end Canon's are made from metal too, magnesium alloy (ok there are bits of plastic for battery/memory card doors) and I have to say the build quality and feel of the old 20d I bought is superb.

I bought a Leicaflex new in 1965. The meter had no on-off switch, but as most users at that time kept the camera in an E/R case, the battery drain was negligible. That camera's shutter was initially unreliable in cold weather, so while it was being fixed up, the agents lent me another body. That one did switch off the meter whern the wind lever was parked against the body. (I actually liked the viewfinder of the original Leicaflex, by the way).

John.

Thanks for the replies. To Leicamann may I report that there were 2 versions of the original Leicaflex. The mark 1 version had a pie shaped film counter where the meter did not switch of as folk have informed me. The mark 2 version (which came out in 1965-66 I believe) had a circular film counter and the wind on lever switched off the meter as you describe for the SL and SL2. Years ago I had a mark 2 version which finally expired. The repairer needed a replacement part which Leica would not supply! So I got Leica in Milton Keynes to quote for the repair which was so astronomical that I gave the camera to the repairer for parts!