Too me they look soft…and to you?

Giulio Zanni

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So far I just had the chance to play with my new M8 at home in the evening, so: 1250 iso, 28 summicron fully open at the closest focus distance of 0,7 m. Time varied between 1/60 and 1/125. The danger in those law light circumstances is to get blurred or out-of-focus pictures. That is why I shot several tests. These samples received very little post-processing but a certain amount of sharpening and they don't look blurred or out-of-focus. However, they look soft to me. I would be grateful for your feedback.

Thanks, Giulio

Guest guy_mancuso

I think your focus is off . To me the first one looks like you focused on his right sleve which is not on the same plane as his face and the second the corner of the crib. Other than that they have a nice feel to them. i really like the 28 cron. You really have to be careful with focus just takes some time to get it down . I'm new to the M and it has taken me some time to get used to focusing RF.

Hey Giulio,

Congrats on the M8, bet you've got a big smile ear to ear.

I'd have to say they look a little soft(beautiful child by the way) but then again it takes a little time and practice no matter how use'd you are to your previous leicas.

I'd have to say after reviewing some of my shots from Thailand today, some I thought I really got the focus right were a little soft but when I did get the focus spot on I can say I've never seen such fine detail recorded like this before.

Best of luck Giulio, I have a feeling you'll enjoy being back home;)

Hey Eoin,

good to have you back safe and sound from Thailand. Please post pictures. You can bet...I have a big smile on my face and finally a very little bag to carry around. I don't mind taking the time to re-adjust to rangefinder. I just want to make sure that is my fault and not of the camera. I wouldn't like to go through the same frustrations I faced with the RD-1.

Thanks, Giulio

I don't know that I'd complain about softness or nitpick the focus, especially in these shots cause the kid's eyes are plenty sharp, but the noise in the shadows and even some of the mid tones is gross.

On outbackphoto.com, there is a LIGHTZONE (a great software!) contest on a landscape shot with the M8. I downloaded the file and started working on it, but I found the image quite soft! I was not at all impressed by this particular file. This is just one file of course so I draw no conclusion of the camera.

What was impressive though is how much information could be retrieved from the shadows (the mountain in the back).

Give it a try!

Guest guy_mancuso

Yes just ever so slightly off but like I said that just takes some practice and he will enjoy this camera for a long time. It's all a learning curve. Frankly i like the tones in this shot, for what the image is it gives it a nice artistic touch