My new M7 arrived today

clive

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today my new M7 arrived. I had been originally interested in the M8, but after all the hassle I decided to wait, like many others, until all the bugs have been taken care of. However, the whole process got me interested again in the M system as a whole and strangely I finally decided to get back into film after spending the past four years almost exclusively in the digital world.

I have a couple of questions that many of you are probably tired of answering but I feel I've entered alien territory and need some expert advice.

a. I had understood that only certain flash units could be used with the M7 (Metz is one that springs to mind), yet when I look at the manual that came with this camera it seems to suggest that one can use any flash unit. It says on page 109

.......'you can also fit any other standard flash unit with standard connecting plugs or on-camera flash units with standard adapter foot to the Leica M7 and trigger them with the centre x-contact.'

I have an Olympus FL50 flash unit that I get great results when using my E1 and I was wondering if I could also use it with the M7 or if I have to purchase an accessory before I can do this--if so, what is this accessory called and who is likely to stock it (B&H in NYC?)

If the Olympus flash is unable to work with the M7 what unit should I buy? I like the idea of the compact SF20 or SF24D but I would really prefer something with a swivel head—just like my FL50, and preferably with a similar guide number.

b. One of the reasons I decided to buy the M7 is because I read that it was quiet and this is what I wanted, but to be honest, I think it is noisier than my Olympus E1 even though that is a dSLR with the mirror 'slap'--it certainly isn't noticeably quieter than the Olympus and this has surprised me. Did I get a bad unit? Unfortunately I don't live close to a dealer, nor do I know anyone with a similar model that I can compare, but perhaps other forum members have this camera and also the E1 and can tell me if my experience is about right.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer me.

Regards.

Clive

Congrats on the M7. It is a great camera. I have gone from film to digital back to film/digital. The M system is fantastic. I currently use an M7, M6, RD1, Ricoh GRD and Nikon D200. I am on the sidelines for an M8l. Take a look at my Flickr stream and you can see why I am happy with the M system.

I have the Leica and Metz flashes as well. Both work well with the M7. The Metz is very bulky and is top heavy on the camera. However, it has more features than the Leica.

Here is my Flickr stream if you are interested in what I am doing with the cameras.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/captainvideo/

Clive,

I have a rusty old M6 that I use in tandem with a pocket size piece of crap Canon elph digital. I have a few other slrs and a few dslrs. One of the dslrs I own is an E1. I have used the M7 once before but I do not remember if it is louder than my M6.

I definitely think the M6 is quieter than the E-1. The E-1 is a long drawn out sound in my opinion, but it is very quiet compared to my D70 and D200. I will say that comparing the sound of the E-1 and M6 is a close comparison though. I heard the M8 is as loud as a D200? Wow!

The sound of the M6 has grown on me and I prefer the little click to the sound of any slr now. I think the difference is, when trying to be discrete, the E-1 still sounds like you took a picture, and the M is not that definitive. I have been asked several times if I took the picture by my subjects or by an onlooker, when using the M. The E-1 rather answers the question for you.

I am glad to see you pick up M-Photography. Personally, I am hooked on Leica. I hope that I will one day be able to afford the M8, but for now, I will use my rusty old M6 and piece of crap elph for Street Photography. The Nikons are for Gigs.

Ps. I use the SF20 Leica Flash gun with my M6 when I need flash. However I mostly shoot asa 400 Black & white.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm not too sure which flash to go with at the moment--whether to try and make one of the many units I already have work for me, or purchase a dedicated flash. I really bought the camera to use available light, so I'll probably just play with it for a little while to see if I also want to use the M7 for flash photography. Thanks again for all your advice and suggestions regarding this.

Concerning the load 'click' that I hear when I press the shutter--this still suprises me even though I am already getting used to it. I had read that the M7 is the quietest of all the M's, but I can't imagine this camera being used un-noticed in very quiet surroundings. I guess I'm going to find out sooner than later.

Clive.

You could...dedicate this one?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hey no one would steal it and you would have no problem getting everyone to look to the camera. :o

Congratulations on the M7! I've had mine for a couple of years and just love it.

I mostly use the 35mm f/2 ASPH Summichron, and occasionally, the 90MM f/2 APO ASPH. I also bought the 1.25X viewfinder magnifier for those times I use the 90mm and it really helps. I also use the SF-24D on occasion. I have thought about the larger Metz units, but when I consider that some are nearly as large as the camera, I "just say no"

Hope we see some images on the photo forum soon :)

Congratulations..I think Johns suggestion is about right..thats what I'd use.

I also use sync flash with an array of Nikon flash units...it would probably work on an M system..I work mostly with Leica R gear.

Still don't know which M to get ..

Thanks for sharing your good news and happy snaps.

Regards. Leicamann

Congratulations Clive.

I have been a long time SLR user, so to compliment my Leica R's, I got a Leica M7

with the 35mm F/2 ASPH.

I don't use it much, but when I do, it's brilliant.

M7 + 35mm f/2 asph and Fuji Sensia 100 slide film.

Cheers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!