Sign in to follow this  
ho_co

Jesus stripes

Sorry to hear it, Howard.

(FWIW, I'm still not convinced that it's not related to electromagnetic interference of some sort.

)

Pete.

Helas.

They're back.

The explanation given in this post seems the most plausible cause for the stripes which suggests that if the new firmware did not resolve the issue through timing changes, then there are instabilities in the power supplies in your camera, e.g., voltage drops to the VDD supply of the CCD output amplifiers caused by current spikes in the shutter motor or other components during the frame readout. I don't think that the issues you report can be addressed by a firmware change.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pacemaker's interference?

Come, come, now, lct. I may not eat as healthfully as you Frenchies, but I don't wear one of those. Yet.

FWIW, I'm still not convinced that it's not related to electromagnetic interference of some sort.

Thanks, Pete. The pattern is so regular, that makes complete sense. Do you suppose I could counteract it with a pacemaker?

The explanation given in this post seems the most plausible cause for the stripes which suggests that if the new firmware did not resolve the issue through timing changes, then there are instabilities in the power supplies in your camera, e.g., voltage drops to the VDD supply of the CCD output amplifiers caused by current spikes in the shutter motor or other components during the frame readout. I don't think that the issues you report can be addressed by a firmware change.

Bert, thanks.

Interestingly, this time, unlike the other cases I posted, the battery gauge showed 2/3 full just a couple shots before this one, but the battery was dead after it.

Leica replaced the main circuit board on the camera's most recent visit; and I'm running the latest firmware.

We/they are doubtless closing in on the defect.

Edited by ho_co

Interestingly, this time, unlike the other cases I posted, the battery gauge showed 2/3 full just a couple shots before this one, but the battery was dead after it.

Howard, this may be a long shot, but I wonder if this could be battery related? If there is some fault in the battery electronics, it's possible that it could cause some strange effects, and the battery is also right next to the card, so any interference when writing data wouldn't have to travel very far.

As I said, it may be a long shot, and I may be spouting a total load of old rhubarb here, but if you have a spare battery you may be to test this idea?

Come, come, now, lct. I may not eat as healthfully as you Frenchies, but I don't wear one of those. Yet...

Lucky you. I don't wear one either but i touch wood.

... I wonder if this could be battery related? ...

Interesting thought, Nicole. And don't worry about rhubarb. No idea is out of place here. I'm running out of straws.

Unfortunately, my batteries aren't marked, so I have no idea which battery was involved in the earlier occurrences, or even whether it was always the same battery when they occurred.

But this new event may stem from a different cause, since the earlier examples weren't associated with strange battery behavior. In the original case, I didn't even discover the problem till I started processing the images. This time, the stripes were immediately visible on the LCD (once I changed the battery).

I'll do better record-keeping.

Thanks for the idea!

Edited by ho_co

Leica replaced the main circuit board on the camera's most recent visit; and I'm running the latest firmware.

We/they are doubtless closing in on the defect.

Howard - Since they have replaced the main PCB, you probably have fresh voltage regulators which are designed to minimize voltage fluctuations due to competing power loads. The battery maybe the problem, I don't know. You're handling this very well, but I hope that this issue will soon be corrected...