Jesus stripes

ho_co

Advertisement (gone after registration)

have a little faith, pardon the pun..we're all awaiting an imminent firmware update for the m8/m8.2 which should hopefully clear up some strange stuff like this happening also at higher iso's. it's been promised and hinted at, perhaps even this month, dare i say..i spotted the stripes clearly in your first post, btw..

Howard,

I wonder if your stripes aren't caused by electromagnetic interference causing interruptions while, say, the camera is writing to the SD card. If, for example, you had a mobile phone in your shirt pocket then the electromagnetic field set up when the phone is transmitting will be powerful enough to affect metallic elements when you have your camera to your eye.

The phone regularly has hand-shake conversations with the nearest cell's base-station, so the base-station knows it's still there, and in doing so it transmits a string of digits. (We've all heard the dibbity-dib, dibbity-dib noises when we're on a landline with a mobile close by haven't we?) So it wouldn't necessarily be someone making a call from your phone.

I'm not suggesting that the stripes were necessarily made by a mobile phone per se but if, for example, if there was a pump in the vicinity then switching on or off could emit sufficient power to create an electromagnetic disturbance. The intriguing bit for me is the regular pattern that could easily be a repeating digital signal.

Just a thought.

Pete.

not wishing to upset you but i think this is probably schizophrenic paranoia:D:rolleyes:

not wishing to upset you but i think this is probably schizophrenic paranoia:D:rolleyes:

Schizophrenia is a serious illness and is hardly a subject for humour. I am fortunate not to suffer from schizophrenia and I consider your comment to be in poor taste.

Pete.

Has any concensus emerged as to whether it's better to leave the M8 (.2) on Discrete Shutter or not?

On: Possible interference or battery drain from shutter held open?

Off: Possible interference from cocking motor operating?

Peter--

Not a direct response to your question, but FWIW, all the images I posted above were made in Single-shot with Standard Advance.

Edited by ho_co

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has any concensus emerged as to whether it's better to leave the M8 (.2) on Discrete Shutter or not?

On: Possible interference or battery drain from shutter held open?

Off: Possible interference from cocking motor operating?

--Peter

my photo's with stripes were all taken in standard mode, single shot, no other than normal electric interference, iso 320 or 640,

untill now mostly lower light conditions, lower shutter speeds (1/15-1/60), and as far i can reconstruct no low battery

sam

Thanks for the information. I had no idea that calibrating a monitor brought a loss of shadow detail.

It's not so much a loss of shadow detail as it is a higher contrast ratio and deeper blacks. That would also explain why a more expensive monitor would not show the stripes--because it would undoubtedly have a much higher native contrast ratio.

Edited by fotografr

• 2 weeks later...

i inquired about the jesus stripes and according to leica they happen when the

motor is winding while the picture is still being stored, this is a bug in the software

which will be gone with the next update for the m8/m9, which will be available soon

for the lines of pixels that were missing they asked me to send the camera for repair

cheers

sam

Oops. :(

Leica US differs on the matter. Hoping to verify Sam's hopeful diagnosis, I sent copies of several of my jpgs to Allendale and today received the response:

... According to our lead technician for the M system, the effect seen in your images indicates a problem with the main circuit board. It is suggested that you send the camera to our Service Department at the address below for evaluation. ...

So she's off to see the wizard!

Sam, do keep us posted; I'll do the same.

Oh good that is one problem solved.

Now about the people who couldnt see the artefacts on their monitors.

I can see it clearly on alll the picures on my Toshiba Portege Tablet as well as an Apple Air. Will check this evening on my Siemens screen on the MacPro.

• 3 months later...

UPS returned my M8 half an hour ago.

Leica Allendale accurately estimated three months repair time. Camera was out of my hands 15 weeks.

Now to charge and shoot! :)

i am happy for you that the camera is back after three months repair time...!!!

hopefully the problems are solved!

only last monday i sent my camera to solms, i was not able to miss it before, but now i had to, in a few weeks it will be two years old

i hold my breath about the repair time - jesus stripes, blue lines, too many dead pixels and

the coffee ring...

luckily i enjoy my hasselblad (film) system that i bought after deciding to wait for the m9.2 or m10, but after a few days i miss my m8 already a lot

i'll keep you posted

sam

Do so, Sam! And thanks for your good wishes.

It's amazing to me how addictive these Leicas are. I can't imagine a forum where people are saying how lost they feel about their Brand X. I've never had any problem with my dSLR, but I never use it because the pictures aren't what I get from Leica. I was climbing the walls waiting for the return of the M8.

You don't suppose Leica knows they've got us hooked, do you? :)

• 1 month later...

after six weeks my camera is back from solms

they replaced the sensor, replaced the lcd, cleaned the rangefinder and

adjusted the the rangefinder and all parts

the coffee stain, the dead pixels and the blue lines are gone, but the jesus stripes

are still there, so they are not sensor related as they already told before and the

fix for this will be in the new firmware

the repair was under guarantee and would have cost 319 euro without the

guarantee

they put the customs value on 830 euro, so there is the non-market value

of a 2 year old m8 with 18.000 clicks and clear traces of use

cheers

sam

As noted in post #54 above, my M8 was returned May 11, 2010.

Have now had some time to shoot it, both before and after the FW 2.005 update.

Jesus stripes definitely gone already with version 2.004, without sensor replacement.

Do let us know, Sam, if the firmware update corrects your problem. I hope so.