Jesus stripes

ho_co

Advertisement (gone after registration)

'Jesus stripes': a famous passage in the OT prophecy of Isaiah (ch 53 v 5), speaking about Jesus, says (King James Version): 'But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.'

So be thankful for Jesus's stripes.

I guess i have seen similar stripes on a photo recently. I took a couple of pics in a low-light environment in a bar, with M8 and Noctilux f1,0. I think, I was in "Contious Mode". At thome I discovered these stripes on two of the pictures - I shot maybe 10... I think, I haven't seen them before, or at least I did not notice them. In the end, lighting was poor.

here one of the shots in original, and two crops of a good one, and a damages one:

left side of a good one, and a similar one with the visible stripe on the right. I decided to ignore the stripes, and just hope that it was some fault of mine, or just a glitch...:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I guess i have seen similar stripes on a photo recently. I took a couple of pics in a low-light environment in a bar, with M8 and Noctilux f1,0. I think, I was in "Contious Mode". At thome I discovered these stripes on two of the pictures - I shot maybe 10... I think, I haven't seen them before, or at least I did not notice them. In the end, lighting was poor.

here one of the shots in original, and two crops of a good one, and a damages one:

left side of a good one, and a similar one with the visible stripe on the right. I decided to ignore the stripes, and just hope that it was some fault of mine, or just a glitch...:

I get similar stripes fairly often shooting in low light at 2500iso. I think it's just a sensor read-out issue or something like that.

Howard,

I wonder if your stripes aren't caused by electromagnetic interference causing interruptions while, say, the camera is writing to the SD card. If, for example, you had a mobile phone in your shirt pocket then the electromagnetic field set up when the phone is transmitting will be powerful enough to affect metallic elements when you have your camera to your eye.

The phone regularly has hand-shake conversations with the nearest cell's base-station, so the base-station knows it's still there, and in doing so it transmits a string of digits. (We've all heard the dibbity-dib, dibbity-dib noises when we're on a landline with a mobile close by haven't we?) So it wouldn't necessarily be someone making a call from your phone.

I'm not suggesting that the stripes were necessarily made by a mobile phone per se but if, for example, if there was a pump in the vicinity then switching on or off could emit sufficient power to create an electromagnetic disturbance. The intriguing bit for me is the regular pattern that could easily be a repeating digital signal.

Just a thought.

Pete.

Pete, thanks for the thought.

I know I'm likely to be drummed out of the forum for saying it, but I don't own a mobile phone. :o

I had no other electronic device with me except my wristwatch, which wasn't set to do anything special at the time. :(

And as I recall, there was no one else within 20 feet of me.

I can't recall exactly now, but I think that one-time forum member "Walt" had a strange regular striping of an image of a Charlie Chaplin cutout 'way back when the M8 was hot stuff. (Maybe even before the T2 replacement.) The only thing the forum could come up with then was "must have been electromagnetic interference."

EDIT: Red herring. I looked up Walt's Chaplin thread (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/33990-type-banding.html). Although the stripes are vaguely similar, they occur only on part of the image. (Even stranger than the ones I found.)

Edited by ho_co

Pete, thanks for the thought.

I know I'm likely to be drummed out of the forum for saying it, but I don't own a mobile phone. :o ...

No problem there, Howard, and I won't tell Nokia if you won't. :D

Yes, the electromagnetic angle is a little out of left field but it's a possibility because it is a phenomenon and you can't see it. Trouble is, you also need a field strength meter or a spectrum analyser to spot it. :( Oh well ...

Pete.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

'Jesus stripes': a famous passage in the OT prophecy of Isaiah (ch 53 v 5), speaking about Jesus, says (King James Version): 'But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.'

I think about this each and every day.

fal, the images you show look to me more like the high-ISO banding discussed in other threads in the forum.

As you can see, the Jesus and Peter image was made in bright light, and I think the stripes may be more pronounced than in your examples. On the other hand, they are in both cases parallel to the long edge of the frame, so they may be related.

EXIF shows that the Jesus stripes occurred with 1/3000 sec, ISO 160.

Edited by ho_co

I think about this each and every day.

As do I.

And I contemplate as well the much earlier passage, in Genesis 30.31-43, in which Jacob increases his wealth by letting his cattle gaze on stripes while conceiving.

The stripes in Howard's original post are easily visible on the two cheap and so far uncalibrated monitors on my PC.

What displays were people using on which they weren't visible? (Or is it a matter of operating systems or drivers?)

Maybe they're using a laptop? Fex I couldn't see them at first on my macbook pro but since I know how these screens are I moved to a more optimal viewing angle and they were clearly visible :) Laptop screen truly have horrible viewing angles still...

Oops. Found another image with almost identical defect. (This one at entrance to City of David.)

Also in vertical orientation, also made two sec after another image which was still being written to card, also ISO 160, high shutter speed (1/2000) and wide brightness range in the image.

But in this case, the stripes seem to occur only on the lower half (not across the whole image height), and don't fill the whole width.

Nobody else seen something similar?

Any further ideas?

John: I could not see them in the original post on a calibrated monitor set to gamma 2.2. Generally calibration tends to darken monitors, especially if the white point is cut from the default of 7-9000°K to 5500-5000°K and the gamma is set to 2.2. Uncalibrated monitors ship brighter (and leave the blue cranked up for even more brightness) since the general, non-photo, public prefers "bright" to "accurate".

If I crank the gamma of my screen up to 1.2 or 1.0 (instead of 2.2), and turn off the calibration, the bands in the original are visible.

Hm, I can see then on my monitor which is set to gamma 2.2, white point 6500, luminance 80. I have tried to crank both the gamma and the luminance up and down, but the stripes are visible independent of what setting I use. Strange?

As a one-off I think it's something you could give the camera the benefit of the doubt about. However, now you have a second example, I think it's time to ask Solms about it. Sod's Law dictates that, if you ignore the issue, you'll end up with important shots pretty much ruined.

Incidentally, I've got a decent calibrated (gamma 2.2) monitor and the stripes (in the first shot) were pretty obvious to me too.

Haven't seen these before: Vertical venetian-blind-like stripes. Virtually identical image made two sec earlier doesn't have them.

M8(.15) with WATE @ 21 mm. Bridge + ACR. Stripes present in DNG, though I boosted 'brightness' to +100 to make them more visible here.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

And Merry Christmas. :)

You have exactly the same issue I did.

I'm guilty of underexposing my images pretty severely (sometimes by design) and I noticed that in some images the stripes were visible when I increased exposure in post. (When I first got the camera I could slide the exposure way way up and never see lines, BTW.) Then they got worse--more visible and more of them, randomly appearing in shots.

About that time I started this thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/79749-m8-green-streaky-lines-iso-640-a.html

It's a sensor replacement for a fix. My camera was about 20 days out of warranty when I reported the problem. Leica had me pay for parts, but, out of recognition that the problem had been ongoing from when the camera was in-warranty, Leica waived labor cost.

Note that even with a new sensor from Solms or LNJ, you may still see these lines although *much* more infrequently--after the new sensor, I only see them every now and again--and I just dial back the amount of exposure pushing I'm doing in post. I'm keeping an eye on them, though--if they start showing up except in the most extreme underexposure cases, I'm pinging Leica straightaway with a WTF and for guidance on a fix.

Thanks,

Will

Edited by wstotler
Add some details and a link

It's a sensor replacement for a fix. My camera was about 20 days out of warranty when I reported the problem. Leica had me pay for parts, but, out of recognition that the problem had been ongoing from when the camera was in-warranty, Leica waived labor cost.

That's interesting. I'd naively assumed that failed sensors would be replaced for free outside of the warranty (as Leica had been doing with the Digilux 2).

jesus stripes and blue lines, i wonder if there is any connection,

shot in raw, iso 640,

on other photos of the same serie, there are

also many red and white and blue (dead?) pixels and about 5 vertical

blue lines -

these photos were from november, the first time i found the stripes and

the lines, from this time on they returned regularly,

they camera is from may '08, serialnumber starts with 3330, about 12000 shots,

is it time to send this camera to the solms hospital?

happy photo year to all of you

cheers

sam

the second photo is with fill light, the third a crop

Edited by samuco

Many thanks to everyone for all the responses.

Ian, you're right, the second example hit me hard; and now unfortunately I've turned up additional ones.

Sam, some of my files look very much like yours; looks as if we may have bought the same bucket. My guess is that your camera and mine both need a trip back to Leica. :(

Will, thanks for the heads-up on what to expect. You say the condition might occasionally arise again, even with a new sensor. That's weird. Sounds as if Leica is saying that the stripes are normal up to a point, and abnormal above that point.

Just one more for the record, one which looks like a cross between the Jesus stripes and multiples of the 'dreaded green stripe.' (In the DNG, the stripes are clearly green, though there's no edge-pixel overlap to excite the problem.)

Sigh.

Edited by ho_co

Has any concensus emerged as to whether it's better to leave the M8 (.2) on Discrete Shutter or not?

On: Possible interference or battery drain from shutter held open?

Off: Possible interference from cocking motor operating?

--Peter

Has any concensus emerged as to whether it's better to leave the M8 (.2) on Discrete Shutter or not?

On: Possible interference or battery drain from shutter held open?

Off: Possible interference from cocking motor operating?

--Peter

I'd be interested to know whether there's anything in these possibilities. Having recently bought an M8.2, I've been leaving it on discreet mode as I can't see many advantages of the normal mode for my type of shooting.