R lens extender

bono0272

Hi Richard , this is not a simple question . I use the Apo Elmarit 180 with the 2x Apo extender. The lens can also be used with the non apo extender , but my 180 Apo can not be used with the 1.4 x extender at all . I do believe a later version of my 180 Apo Elmarit has been changed to accept both the 2x and the 1.4x be it apo or not ,both will work. I hope this helps.

It is possible to use a ROM lens on either non-ROM APO extender provided the back of the lens and front of the extender clear each other properly. As already mentioned, the latest version of the R 180/2.8 APO works with both APO extenders but the first version only works with the 2x APO extender.

NOTE: It may be (probably is) necessary to manipulate the sliding pieces on either extender in order to clear the ROM contacts on the lens when the two parts are assembled together. The need to do this seems to be completely normal. Try your lens with the 2x extender for practice (since this one fits for sure) until you get the hang of it. Once the extender and lens are together properly, everything works as expected.

Regards,

Neal

It appears that there has been a change in the lens here. i looked in my handbook and see that the f/2.8 / 180 APO will only take the 2x extender - not the 1.4 extender . This refers to 1.4 x extender catalog no 11249.

and if i look at the leica website (scroll to bottom)

Leica Camera AG - Photography - LEICA APO-EXTENDER-R

this is the same catalog number that now works with with the 1.4 extender, so the change is therfore in the lens and not the extender.

here are the two 180 f2.8 catalog numbers

180 f/2.8 catalog no 11273 - this is older and takes the 2x only

180 f/2.8 catalog no 11357 - this is newer and takes both

so i think with the serial number you can determine exactly which you have

Advertisement (gone after registration)

180 f/2.8 catalog no 11273 - this is older and takes the 2x only

180 f/2.8 catalog no 11357 - this is newer and takes both

so i think with the serial number you can determine exactly which you have

Older lenses can be modified to accept the 1.4x APO-Extender but be forewarned, it's not an inexpensive modification!

Older lenses can be modified to accept the 1.4x APO-Extender but be forewarned, it's not an inexpensive modification!

Sure it will be expensive. Recently I had asked the local Leica sole agent about modifying a 3-cam lens to ROM. The estimated cost is EURO 200 + 8 weeks delivery.

I assume it will be the similar price for modifying the older lenses to accept 1.4X extender.

Sure it will be expensive. Recently I had asked the local Leica sole agent about modifying a 3-cam lens to ROM. The estimated cost is EURO 200 + 8 weeks delivery.

I assume it will be the similar price for modifying the older lenses to accept 1.4X extender.

Figure about triple that. The modification to the 180 APO to accept the 1.4x extender is an optical modification.