M8/M9 high ISO banding questions

nhabedi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK - that is very good news indeed :)

This supports what they said to me some months back after seeing my shots which were shot one after the other in identical conditions - some with banding and some not. I suspected then the speed of reactuating the shutter had some bearing on banding.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/98789-firmware-update-update.html

Best

Graeme

Edited by graeme_hutton

• 1 year later...

I just noticed an incoming link on this thread to my flickr account.

Thought I'd update with my current thoughts on the 'banding' issue. It seems to be that banding or what I call 'blocking'* at high ISO occurs on my camera when the battery is showing two-bars remaining or less. I don't tend to see it when the battery is showing the full 3 bars. Consequently when shooting in very low light, I just change batteries much more frequently.

Hope this is of some help if anyone is searching for banding.

* - (Blocking is what I call the effect where an entire horizontal segment of the image is lighter than the rest, seems to be some kind of shift in midpoint values as I can kind of dial it out using a levels layer with shift in the midpoint).

• 4 years later...

I, too, noticed the banding tend to appear when battery is low.

Same here! Although I only started to see this when I changed to a Sandisk U3 32GB card (reading speed 90 M/Sec, writing speed 80 M/Sec). It didn't happen with my previous Sandisk U1 16GB card (reading speed 45M/sec) 

Any ideas about this guys?  :(

• Like 1

The power supply and the demands on same do have an influence on banding and other artefacts. A firmware version was introduced in order to address this very concern. However, some users did not install it because writing a picture to the card took more time with this version.

• Like 1