How many film cameras do people still own and use?

SteveYork

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Older cameras:

Minolta SR-T - rare use, one roll every few years, meter needs new battery

Pentax ME - regular fondling and occasional use, one roll every one or two years

Olympus Trip - hardly used

Olympus XA2 - some use, not that much

Agfa Optima 1535 - hardly any use but very cool to look at!

Modern cameras:

Contax T3 - now my daytime film compact

Fuji Natura Black - haven't used for a while, but am starting again

Leica M7 - much fondling and goes through bursts of shooting every few years

Zeiss Ikon - my first rangefinder, gets used more than the M7 due to weight

As with good books, maybe film cameras should be passed around, continuing to outlive their current users' projects.

Well, I did recently give away hundreds of books from my library, but I'm not likely to give away the cameras.

I've got a Nikon FE (currently my prime film machine) with 50mm 1.4 lens and a pretty hoya yellow filter on top for my bw actions.

additionally i'm time to time shooting with my dads old fujica ST 901 and the ST 701 I had bought him last year (just for fun, as the 901 developed certain quirks which makes it kind of unreliable)

newest member is my new Leica M6 (my new prime film camera)...its seriously mint. the previous owner apparently did not use it at all. I got it because my wife started shooting with my Leica and when traveling it makes it easy to swap lenses for different purposes (wide and far)

digitally also shooting with my M8, when my wife lets me

overall I'd say i'm still stuck in pre-1999 and more.

Edited by drk_1981

An interesting thread to revisit. My 'last' two film cameras were a Calypsophot and Nikonos - they went to collectors. So. Now my next two 'last' film cameras are an battered black chrome M4 (away having a new bodyshell fitted due to wear and tear - not mine though - this is a nostagia camera for me - my first Leica was this version) and a well used M4-P, though in rather better condition than the M4, which has film in and is ready to go.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gads, can't even give things away now!

...I'm not likely to give away the cameras.

...maybe film cameras should be passed around, continuing to outlive their current users' projects.

My experience is that people often say they can't find takers for film equipment even if they're giving it away... until you ask them to give it away. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Currently I have a Nikon FM3a and am saving for a Leica MP. Also have a Fuji X100S that's great when you want to shoot digital.

The big lens is a 70-210 f4. What I use 90% of the time is the compact 50mm f1.8.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I thought I was doing really well disposing of some of my sparcely used film cameras (not the Leicas, of course), until last week, when I ran into dusty a Minolta XG-M with 3 lenses, a mint flash, case, filters and caps for $12. Several hours of clean up, installing new seals, and testing everything out was very rewarding...two lenses and some cash are being traded for a very highly rated 3rd which will see significant use. Everything now is functioning smoothly, whistle clean (in fact the body still has its plastic protective cover on it), and I was out after work today shooting with the new acquisition. To quote the line from The Godfather - "Just when I thought I was getting out, they pulled me back in". I guess I'll have to reassess my disposition plan...maybe later in the year. In the meantime, running thru film.... :)

• Like 2

Use all the time:

Leica R4s MOD.P

(as I've pretty much given up on digital and am just rebuilding my R kit again' date=' this will be growing rapidly)

Occasionally use:

(2) Nikon FE2

Minolta Hi Matic F

Kodak Brownie Holiday (When I can get 127 film for it)

Never use:

Canon A1

Olympus Stylus Epic (flash tube blown out)

Nikon N70

Olympus OM1

I've become a bit of an orphaned camera retirement home amongst my friends and family...[/quote']

Less than two weeks after posting this, and quite unexpectedly, I found a buyer for the FE2s, the A1, and the lenses for them. Whoo-hoo!

I like film.

It's where I started my photography journey in the 1950's.

For the first time in my life I have a dedicated darkroom. No more trays on the floor or wondering where did I put my darkroom stuff.

fun & lots of smiles!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got a Contax IIa with 50mm f1,5 Sonnar. Camera does not work and is missing the leather from the back. The lens looks good and has many blades in the aperture to give a quite round diaphragm.

Does anyone know why the adaptors for Contax/Nikon to Leica M are so expensive? If I cannot repair the camera, does anyone know who can change the mount on the lens?

Edited by Sandokan

Too many!

In use: M6, SL2, R4S2, R6.2

In good working conditions: M2, CL, R3, Mini, Voigtländer Bessamatic, Vito C, Vitoret, 2Minox 35GT

In working conditions: Paxette (2), Super Paxette

.... and some more in undefined conditions.

Will get soon a Minox LX - New Film experience!

But most in use: M9

Can't give away any Camera - Memoires, memories!!!!!

Leica IIIg

Leica M4

Leica M5

Leicaflex SL

Contax G1

Contax G2

Hexar RF

Nikon F

Nikon F5

Olympus Mju

Fuji 690

Hassy 500CM

Sinar 4x5

use em all. All the time.

I have one digital camera, a Fuji x100. Never use it:)

update: sold the fuji and now have a really nice X1. Also added a millenium Nikon s3 and an M7, as you can never have enough Leicas ( or Manual Nikons for that matter).

And i REALLY like the M7. I bought one when they first came out and sold it because I never really vonded with it. But I love it now. Much more enjoyable to use than the Hexar RF, although when I absolutely need to get the shot, I usually choose the Contax G1, which is one helluva camera when paired with the 35 or 45 Planar. I literally can pick out the G negatives just by looking at them on the light table. Those Planars are magnificent.