How many film cameras do people still own and use?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica CL

and

Hasselblad X-Pan II with full complement of lenses on permanent loan form a 'good friend'

(reminds me I should get it out and use it a bit

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like film.   It's where I started my photography journey in the 1950's.   For the first time in my life I have a dedicated darkroom. No more trays on the floor or wondering where did I put my darkroom stuff.   fun & lots of smiles!

Very interesting, but the OP was asking about FILM cameras....posted in the film forum...... Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Leica IIf Leica M4-2 Voigtländer Vitessa Nikon S2 Nikon FM2 Alpa Reflex   Some more words on and a few pictures more of the rangefinders can be found here: feltedhat.com Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

currently 3, but that's probably 2 too many

. an unbreakable nikon f4 and ft2, and an equally unbreakable m2, just CLAd with new leather. decisions, decisions.

greetings from hamburg

rick

Leica IIIf x 2

Leica M3 x 2

Leica M5 x 2

Leica MP x 2

Leica R6.2

Leica R8

Leicaflex SL MOT

Leicaflex SL x 2

Leicaflex SL2

Leicaflex SL2 50 Jahre

Rolleiflex 2.8E

Rolleiflex 2.8F

Rolleiflex T (Grey)

Rolleiflex 6008 Pro

Rolleiflex 6008 Integral2

Linhof Master Tecknika 4X5

Linhof Master Tecknika 4X5 50 Jahre

Nikon SP

Nikon SP 2005

Nikon F x 2

Nikon F5

Nikon 28Ti

Mamiya 7II

Canon A1

I got rid of the Hassy 500 since I wasn't using it at all.

Edited by AB007

Well - since my last post I've done some winnowing down and acquiring up. Currently own the following: (16 as of today)

Leica M2

Canon P

Canon SII

Canon T90

Contax RX

Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic

Leotax F

Nikkormat FT

Olympus OM-2n

Olympus Stylus

Ricoh Diacord (MF TLR)3 Super

Ricoh 500 early version with film advance knob

Ricoh 500 middle production version with flat top

Ricoh 519

Yashica FX-2

Yashica FX-3 Super 2000

I need to get rid of a few more which aren't getting much use...but it is hard....many of these are longtime favorites, or ones which I have nursed back to health, refurbished, and work as they originally did, if not even better. Oh well.....tomorrow is another day,

I'll contemplate it then.

I am fairly certain that I own more expensive, high-end cameras than anyone here, so I put forward this challenge: is there one among us who is who is a worse photographer than I?

I think not!

I am the worst!

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

Edited by pico
I am fairly certain that I own more expensive, high-end cameras than anyone here, so I put forward this challenge: is there one among us who is who is a worse photographer than I?

I think not!

I am the worst!

I believe you are quite safe in that department

But then again, the occasional photo bomb can be amusing:

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Lifestyle/ht_Beluga_Photobomb_Leigh_Wedding_ll_131212_16x9_608.jpg

Back on topic, I'm finding I find I'm going back and forth between M7's loaded with either Portra or Cinestill and have a bigger backlog of film to get developed and scanned than the "occasional" digital image. My brothers-in-law said that once I went digital some years ago, that I would not be shooting film at all. Exactly the opposite is happening

Edited by stevesurf

I think I'm upto about 30 film cameras now, plus four digital (M8, Nex-3, X100s and XF-1)

So far this year I have used 15 of them.

It is too many but they cover different types of cameras and I enjoy using them:

35mm rangefinders: Leica IIIa, M3, M2, M5, MP, Zeiss Ikon ZM, Minolta CLE, Voigtlander R3A, Zorki 4k, Agfa Optima 1535

35mm SLR: Nikon FE, Nikon F, Exa 1a

35mm scale focus: Voigtlander Vito IIa, Agfa Optima 1035, Lomo LC-A

120 rangefinder: Fuji GA645i

120 SLR: Hasselblad 500cm

120 folder: Agfa Billy Record II

120 scale focus: Holga

120 TLR: Yashicamat 124g

5x4: Speed Graphic

Pinhole: Harman Titan, Ondu 6x6, Vermeer 24x72mm

I still shoot about 125 rolls a year, mostly though a couple (as in 4 or 5) Leicaflex SL, but also have a beastly Contarex Bullseye with 50 Planar.

My significant other has largely switched to medium format (from digital) and she'll shoot anywhere from 30-45 rolls a year. She has an Ikoflex Ic, Rolleicord Vb and Mamiya C220.

We have a few other cameras in the house, but I'm in the midst of slimming down to only what we use. It's been fun to try and sample different equipment, and generally the low price of film cameras has made that possible, but film lenses are starting to get expensive (e.g. R line)

I think creative people tend to get bored easy, and that's why they have so many different cameras. Each presents a different user experience.

Interesting, some of the most brilliant photographers I know are never bored and keep the gear to a minimum, like one or two bodies and a handful of lenses at most.

I have to say I feel much more comfortable with less gear than more so will be having another clear out soon. I must be the opposite to many because once I am comfortable with one camera I just tend to use it to the exclusion of everything else even if I know I have that x,y,z for a specific purpose. Same with lenses, I have 6 but want to get down to 3 again. I am not a collector.

I have to say I feel much more comfortable with less gear than more [...].

So would would I. So how do we proceed? Seriously.

Did not count, but have cameras for formats from 18x24mm over APS and Polaroid to 6x9cm. For my part, that's mostly due to the fact that it's much easier to buy enticing gear (depending on the price range) and dream on than to produce meaningful photos...

So I try to reduce, sell gear deemed redundant (what is not) to pay for film and prints. And suddenly another lens arrives. I secretly hope (and sometimes could experience) that with more time for photography, the material steps back. But making time is almost as difficult as making meaningful photos

Alexander

So would would I. So how do we proceed? Seriously.

Well I intend to try and sell a few items via various forums, worked for off loading all the m4/3rds gear I used to have. I treat ebay and trade in as last resorts but the way I see it if it isn't being used its just dead money tied up in something sat in the cupboard/safe/draw.