How many film cameras do people still own and use?

SteveYork

Advertisement (gone after registration)

M3 DS w/ 90mm Elmarit-M (or one of the 50's) for portraits

M4-P w/ CV 28mm F2.0 Ultron for walkaround/everyday and shooting live bands (currently looking for a 35mm Pre Lux)

IIIc w/ 5cm Summitar usually with highspeed film loaded or something else different when I have one of the other bodies out with me.

All B&W, processed and printed at home. 10 of my 13 years of shooting where all digital and I do not want to go back there in a hurry, it's a good thing the M9 is so expensive :) stops me unnecessarily thinking about selling other things / saving and buying one. maybe when an M10 comes out I may look at getting one for colour work, maybe...

I've just finished selling off all the gear I don't use regularly to fund an MP. My kit is now down to:

Film: MP M6

Digi: M8

Lenses: 21/3.4 35/1.4asph 50/1.4asph 50/1.0

It's taken me about 5 years of saving/buying/selling to get here, but I think I finally have the kit I've always wanted. Maybe a 90 down the road ;)

Well I have too many cameras..... 6 Leicaflex SL's `1, SL2, R4S, R7, R8(damaged for now) R9+DMR, Digilux 1, Contax RTS 11 damaged still, Leica 111F, my Dads..needs CLA also my Dads Retina 111c with the whole plethora of lenses .

On a shoot I use both film and digital, in high contrast situations , the digital can be weak, in low light it can be strong.

Because I have used film for so long, I trust film more than I do digital..of course if you can use Kodachrome, all the better.

For the media I shoot digital , occasionally if the shoot is on Sunday, I can develop my own negs and have them , sorted, chosen, edited and scanned on time for the midnight deadline.... digital is sooooooooo much easier if you are on assignment .

For the Art for Arts sake, it is still film....the digital sensor of the future will have to be full frame 32bit RAW, at 80megapix.....thats at least 10 years away..for me to move away from film.

Also remember this formula..Churchill , Man, cold...digital...batteries..trouble

Cold fully manual, batteries, won't stop you filming, bring along a good light meter, an old Sekonic or something of the likes. Farley Mowat used the Leica111F for his trip up to Chruchill in the 50's..it worked fine in ridiculously cold weather.

Cheers,JRM

Cheers, JRM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone,

I have 4 film cameras: R series 3 ( R6, R8, R8) all with motor winders, M series 1 (MP .72x). I am considering to add an MP .85x.

I use these for virtually all of my photography. I do have one digital camera, a Leica D-Lux 3, which I carry along just to have a camera available in case I need one unexpectedly. It gets used for maybe 1% of my photography.

For me there is still no contest between shooting film and digital. The only advantage digital has is convenience, as far as I can see, and even that is questionable, since one has to do one's own post processing. Film clearly out resolves even the best 35mm type digital cameras currently available, and continuing to shoot film is far less expensive than switching to digital.

Cheers!

David

I'm glad to conclude from this thread that ownership of several camera systems seems to be widespread and apparently does not constitute insane behavior. I frequently ask myself about that, and so do my relatives. :D

... unless insanity was widespread. Don't ask my relatives.

Perhaps you should have asked the question "How many digital cameras do people still own and use?" :)

FWIW, I use anything from a IIIf, through my M2 and M7, an R4 or my D700 with Leitaxed lenses. The R8 goes out sometimes, but the meter is on the blink and is uneconomic to repair.

It all depends upon what takes my fancy on any particular day, but normally, it's the M7.

Three film cameras: a Leica M6 with three lenses; a Hasselblad Xpan with normal lens; and a little-used Rollei 35. I've just been rediscovering the pleasures of the RF system. Its my poor man's M9 - my entire system cost the equivalent of a used M8.2 body - and with the investment of a little scanning time, I get high quality full frame results. You don't get the instant feedback of digital, but do end up with a physical image for your file storage. Its pretty quick also - In the US, I take my film to Walmart and they hand it back to me developed and uncut in less than a half hour - at a cost of $1.76.

Edited by sdh

I have in total 14 film cameras. Including 5 folding cameras Voght, Zeiss and Balda, dating around 1931 - 1938 recenly bought and not used yet, except as ''model' for my still life composition. As far as the other film cameras are concerned I am using mostly my two Leicas M6 and IIIC, the Asahi Pentax SP I, the two Yashicas FR II and MAT 124, then I have an Edixa Mat reflex, aa Zenith Reflex EM and a Voigtlander Vitomatic, these rarely used. I love to keep these cameras for use and for collection too and planning to enlarge my collection with at least a couple of other Leica. I can not resist to the beauty and perfection of Leicas, they are unique and to me....simply the best.

May I take the chance to wish all of you my best wishes for a Merry 'Xmas and Happy new year

Paola

I work with two film and two digital cameras. I have owned the film cameras for more than 35 years. Currently, I am shooting several roles of Velvia 50 with the M4 and F2, and continue to shoot (and develop) PlusX, TriX, PanF and FP4.

Film:

M4 with 50mm f/2 Summicron

Nikon F2 Photomic with 28mm f/2, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/2, micro 55mm f/3.5, 105mm f/2.5, 135mm f/2 and 200mm f/4 Nikkor lenses

Digital:

D2

VL1

Happy Holidays!

Michael