How many film cameras do people still own and use?

SteveYork

I have a Leica II which is my normal use camera, and a IIIf which I've just purchased (but will also be a 'user' camera). I also have a Bronica ETRS, a WOP 6x9 folder and a 9x12 sliding box camera that I built myself (which I use to create paper negatives and cyanotypes).

David.

Right now (in order of currently most-used): a beautiful M2, M6TTL Black Paint Millennium, Leica CL and a factory-new Hasselblad 500cm (in addition to the M8).

Can't help but be irritated that even in a harmless and fun thread like this some people feel the need to bang the digital drum. SilverEfexPro is a great program (I use it myself), but it can't replace what film does with light in the first place - and this is especially true when using Leica lenses wide open: the way that edges fall away, the way that highlights render, the way that details merge or the way that grain delineates a structure, and so on.

By all means have fun with the M8 and the M9 (or the RD1, for that matter - a great camera) I love what can be done with them. But I don't feel it's too much to ask that in a thread like this we could keep out the obsessive-compulsive need to justify digital manipulation of binary captures.

You're finding demons where they don't exist. Nobody was banging on a digital drum. bear6565 was banging on a film drum.

Regular use: M9... And look at the silver efex pro programm. Wonderful tool. It beats the work in the darkroom. Never could I get so much out of a print.. .

Wow - that last quote is pulling things out of context, isn't it ;-) ?

Here would be the complete quote:

And look at the silver efex pro programm. Wonderful tool. It beats the work in the darkroom. Never could I get so much out of a print, but.... I surely would mis the feeling of printing my own films in the dark, when I no longer use film.

Or even better, the complete post:

Regular use: M9

Irregular use: M6,Minilux, Nikon F3 , buying a new MP! Why not? From the moment I made my first shot with my M9, I began to appreciate my film cameras even more!

And look at the silver efex pro programm. Wonderful tool. It beats the work in the darkroom. Never could I get so much out of a print, but.... I surely would mis the feeling of printing my own films in the dark, when I no longer use film.

Don't anybody worry, Paulus is a full member of our little film church, isn't he ;-)

Joking aside, I need some quality relax time and will Tonight pack a F3HP with MD-4 + 58 1.4 and shoot some BW film @3200.

That GH2, I bought Yesterday seriously was not too healthy …

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Every couple years I go through this -- should I get rid of my rangefinder stuff? Should I dump the recently acquired Leicaflex system? And with the recent hike in the local cost of developing, the voices in my head are even stronger.

Add to this the recent "perfect storm" on my trip to Churchill Canada where (1) I left a bag of film at home; (2) one of my mechanical cameras broke on the first day leaving me with just one functioning camera; (3) I had no expertise of using telephotos on SLRs (you really do have to hold them still); and (4) that there is a big difference between my current rangefinder lenses and the 70's optics I was suing -- all mixed with perfect sun and a lot of bears...

...and I'm starting to wonder whether it is time to go digital.

PS -- On that trip to Churchill, there was about 35 tourists, with lots of big and expensive cameras, and only two of use were shooting film.

Please someone, talk me out of it.

Dear Steve,

I'm sorry maybe I did not understand the question ( I'm Dutch ), but am I right if I understand, that you still like to go on with you film cameras and don't want to buy a digital camera?

I like to help you to talk you out of it, not buying a digital camera. I gladly would give you an answer. Maybe it is an answer that gives you reason , not to sell your film cameras. But maybe it is also an answer to give you an alternative:

Regular use: M9

Irregular use: M6,Minilux, Nikon F3 , buying a new MP! Why not? From the moment I made my first shot with my M9, I began to appreciate my film cameras even more! I sold my old MP camera and I still regret that.( In week 26 my MP will arrive. )

The photos you see are 1: scan of a TMAX film i did nothing with the film or the scanning accept making a just histogram. The colour is from scanning in colour. 2: an M9 digital Capture with lighroom and silvereffexpro.

Maybe this answer will help you in you to decide to keep your film cameras.

Yours sincerely,

Paulus

p.s. The girl in the photos is the same. The cameras differ.M6 Titan Elmarit-M 2,8/90mm

M9 / 1,4 /50mm summiluxasph.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

... I don't feel it's too much to ask that in a thread like this we could keep out the obsessive-compulsive need to justify digital manipulation of binary captures.

• You're not the forum police
  • Shall we discuss your obsessive compulsion to start a digital-vs.-film fight at the least mention of the D-word?

• Like 2

Wow - that last quote is pulling things out of context, isn't it ;-) ?

Here would be the complete quote:

Or even better, the complete post:

Don't anybody worry, Paulus is a full member of our little film church, isn't he ;-)

Joking aside, I need some quality relax time and will Tonight pack a F3HP with MD-4 + 58 1.4 and shoot some BW film @3200.

That GH2, I bought Yesterday seriously was not too healthy …

Hallelua! ;)

On the other hand, I will solemnly promise you good people, this will be the last one of "the Last M6 Cameras" I will buy.

( try so get that sentence out of context!)

Every couple years I go through this -- should I get rid of my rangefinder stuff? Should I dump the recently acquired Leicaflex system? And with the recent hike in the local cost of developing, the voices in my head are even stronger.

Add to this the recent "perfect storm" on my trip to Churchill Canada where (1) I left a bag of film at home; (2) one of my mechanical cameras broke on the first day leaving me with just one functioning camera; (3) I had no expertise of using telephotos on SLRs (you really do have to hold them still); and (4) that there is a big difference between my current rangefinder lenses and the 70's optics I was suing -- all mixed with perfect sun and a lot of bears...

...and I'm starting to wonder whether it is time to go digital.

PS -- On that trip to Churchill, there was about 35 tourists, with lots of big and expensive cameras, and only two of use were shooting film.

Please someone, talk me out of it.

Dear Steve,

I like to ad something to what I said recently.

It's in German, sorry, but translated in English, it will say: Stay with you film cameras! The German sometimes need more words:)

You can translate it in a translation program, but that is a digitally process. It will probably change the context. I'm glad a film cannot be altered once the photo is made. One more reason to shoot film.

I am also aware that everything in the Internet can be digitally altered. Maybe that's another reason I use film. I hardly ever scan my photos

The photos you see are the once of my sold MP. It served me from 2002 , bought in Schiedam Holland at Van der Waal's till 2010 and there wasn't a scratch on it when I sold it. I never counted the negatives made with it, but I think it were about 11 kilos of film. I will always shoot film. Not so much as before because I have a wonderful M9, but I no now that shooting film is something wonderful.

I hope the new owner of my sold MP has lost of good times with it!

Stick to your film cameras!

Warum kaufe ich mir eine analoge Leica MP Kamera, obwohl ich schon eine digitale Leica M9 Kamera besitze?

Anders und kurzer gefragt, könnte ich sagen: „ Warum kaufe ich überhaupt eine neue analoge Kamera? Eine Kamera womit man noch Filme belichten soll? In diesem Artikel versuche ich eine Antwort auf diese Frage zu finden.

Erstens ist mir aufgefallen, während des Gebrauchs der digitalen M9 Kamera, dass mir das Gefühl von Ruhe oft fehlt. Meiner Meinung nach wäre es möglich, dass dieses digitale Produkt, mich auf eine negative Art und Weise reizt. Obwohl meine M9 in fast jeder Hinsicht einer analogen MP Kamera ähnlich ist, spüre ich, dass das Gefühl im Moment, in dem ich fotografiere, anders ist.

Immer wenn ich etwas mit dieser digitalen Kamera fotografiere, weiß ich, dass ich das Bild, nachdem es gemacht ist, schon eine Sekunde später ansehen kann. Oft mache ich es auch. Manchmal frage ich mich, ob diese Kamera mir noch etwas beibringt.

Mit einer analogen MP habe ich das Gefühl nie gekannt. Ich hatte schon 2004 meine erste MP, aber ich verkaufte sie, weil ich dachte, dass ich sie nicht mehr brauchen würde. Eher war ich angenehm und hoffnungsvoll gespannt, ob ein schönes Bild von mir produziert wurde. Ich traute meine Fähigkeiten und den Fähigkeiten der Kamera, weil diese mich aus technischen Gründen nie im Stich gelassen haben.

Was mich darüber hinaus noch überzeugt, eine analoge Kamera zu kaufen, ist die Tatsache, dass ich schon zu viel am Computer arbeiten muss. Ein großer Teil meiner täglichen Arbeit in der Schule und zuhause findet am Computer statt. Eine digitale Kamera hat den Vorteil, dass man den Film nicht entwickeln muss. Eine Filmrolle gibt es gar nicht. Man stecke nur die Speicherkarte in den Rechner und schon wird ein Bild produziert! Der Nachteil ist eben, dass ich wieder am Computer arbeite. Das wird mir manchmal zu viel. Besser wäre es zu entspannen. Darum sitze ich am liebsten im Keller. Hier habe ich seit Jahren eine Dunkelkammer eingerichtet. Das Schaukeln der Spülbecken mit dem Fotoentwickler und der Fixage , hat für mich eine beruhigende Wirkung. Die Fotos, die ich auf diese Art und Weise mache, kann jeder Mensch festhalten, ohne einen Computer zu benützen. Man kann das Foto sogar fühlen und riechen. Für mich ist das noch immer die Art und Weise, die mir am besten gefällt.

Meine Motivation, eine Leica MP zu kaufen, ist, obwohl es noch andere, billigere Kameras gibt, dass in meinen Augen die MP die beste Kamera ist, die es je für mich gab. Die Argumente dafür schreibe ich gerne in einem anderen Text.

Film is the only honest medium

Painters can choose not to paint a detail,writers can choose not to include a quote, digital files can be manipulated,the neg is the truth.

This is Hermetic photography. Only the innermost circle of initiates can know the truth. Only they can comprehend everything about a photograph directly from the 35mm negative. The rest of us can never get closer than the poor simulacrum that is a print.

You know what - I didn't refer directly to the original post from Paulus when I said it would be nice if people could leave out the digital stuff in this ONE thread precisely because I didn't feel like igniting yet another one of those tedious film vs digital arguments. I just thought FOR ONCE there could be a thread on the FILM forum without the OBLIGATORY digital harangue. But when i saw the "You're finding demons where they don't exist. Nobody was banging on a digital drum" I thought I'd refer to one of the posts that had inspired the throwaway comment.

Well naturally this has to lead to posts and counter-posts and 'taking words out of context' and the rest of it.

How about this: I go onto the M9 forum and post a little bit about how film is superior to digital in EVERY single thread from now until forever - y'know, the way that's done in reverse on this section of the forum now.

• Like 1

13 filmcameras....

SLR filmcameras:

Praktica MTL3

Nikon F

Nikon F2

Nikon F3

Nikon F4

Nikon F5

Nikon F801

Yashica Mat 124G

Zenza Bronica ETRS

Minolta 7000

Minolta7000 Gold limited edition

Minolta prod 20-S

Rangefinder filmcamera:

Ricoh 300 (not working, my dads first camera)

None of the above have eaten film since summer 2004:o

... How about this: I go onto the M9 forum and post a little bit about how film is superior to digital in EVERY single thread from now until forever - y'know, the way that's done in reverse on this section of the forum now.

Mani,

Nah, life's too short.:o

Pete.

How about this: I go onto the M9 forum and post a little bit about how film is superior to digital in EVERY single thread from now until forever - y'know, the way that's done in reverse on this section of the forum now.

I'm up for a good laugh. Go for it.

(EDIT) Seriously, I think we all benefit more from a non-judgemental exchange of ideas, opinions and experience than we do from erecting barbed wire around the forum to keep out any opinions that challenge our own.

Edited by wildlightphoto

Leica 0-Series Replica

Leica III Black Paint

Leica III Sync. Chrome

Leica IIIf Chrome with Leicavit

Leica M2 Button Rewind Black Paint

Leica M2 Button Rewind Chrome

Leica M3 Chrome

Leica M3 Chrome

Leicaflex SL

Leica R8 with Motor

Nikon F Black

Nikon F Apollo Black with Motor

Nikon F3

Hasselblad 503 CX

Linhof Technika

And some other small cameras like Olympus Pen EE etc. and a Nikon Coolscan V ED

For most of my pictures I use the M2s or M3s loaded with Fuji Neopan 40ASA.

Roland

• Like 1