How many film cameras do people still own and use?

SteveYork

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Film cameras are just so much fun to operate, it'squite a binus they take photos. I use quite a few...

Leica M6, Bronica etrs (645), A 1940ish Kodak brownie, Bolsey model 5, canon tx, canon ae1, canon elan IIe (so I can use all that ef glass!), and a canonet ql 17

I'm on the verge of selling my M8 and M8.2 just keeping the X1 for my one and only digital camera.

I have and use a variety of 5 Leica M's (2, 3, 4, 6, and MP) the 2, 3 4 and 6 I will also sell in order to buy another 2 MP's. We recently moved house enabling me to build up my wet/darkroom again, after not having used one for over 2 years I quickly got back into the swing of things and enjoy it. It beats the fiddles out of computing your final images, produces a better quality of output and has a huge additional "Zen" factor for me.

The reason for wanting 3 MP's is that the camera itself is good, the only digital feature I enjoyed was switching to various modes film photography would not easily enable, like ISO and such. I will have one MP with Tri-x, the other with edox 25 and the last one with Kodak Portra which is a very versatile color film.

Other than the Leica's I still use a Rolleiflex frequently.... again with Tri-x 90% of the time.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have two slrs- Nikon F6 and FM2n, a rolleiflex 3.5F, and about three p&s film cameras- Yashica T4, olympus stylus, and olympus xa2. I like the Nikon F6 the besbut it is rather heavy. Oh yeah I have a Rollei 35S also. No Leicas as of yet.

DaveO

I also collect cameras (not expensive ones) so, too many to name all.

I have again started to shoot film, and mostly use the Nikon FM3A, Konica Hexar, Minolta SRT-101, VC Bessa-T. Recently traded my Leica 111f for a Fuji 645 (only put 3 rolls through it so far).

Found a Canonet I forgot I had (broke one a couple of years back, apparently I bought a replacement and didn't realize it) recently, suddenly got the bug to shoot more film

that made me pull out the R2A+Hexanon 50 and M7/35 'lux ASPH I haven't used in a couple of years... and then my Bronica SQ-Ai and I found my Crown Graphic, etc.

M7

R2A

SQ-Ai

Polaroid SX-70 converted to 600 film

Agfa Isola

another Agfa toy cam

Elan 7e (my first SLR)

Fuji Instax 210

Polaroid Instant 300

Crown Graphic

4x5 Pinhole

Shen Hao field camera

Too many, and due to very recent health issues, I am compelled to sell - Leica, Linhof, Deardorff, first Century One, Hasselblad, Plaubel Veriwide, a couple post-WWII Super Ikonta 6x9, Horseman 6x12 w/35mm, exceedingly rare Voigtlander #7 lens and others like it, crazy strange old camera tech, and more and more. Best of the best.

Edited by pico

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There must be a bit of the collector in me, because every time I get down to two cameras it balloons back up to 8-10. But I've already shot 80 rolls of film this year, so hoarding as long as you're using is not too bad.

M7, MP, M4 -- I use mostly the modern rangefinders. I put too much money into the M4 after it fell into the drink to get rid of it. I've picked up 7 m lenses from 35 -- 135. Some I use a lot, others not so much.

2 Leicaflex SL -- Big and heavy, but so fun to use. The microprism focusing screen is just so different from rangefinder focusing that it's a very nice change of pace. Only 2 lenses for them now, but I'll add a few more in the months to come.

Zeiss Ikon Contaflex IV -- Very retro. Very cheap. Very small. And fun.

Zeiss Ikon Contarex Bullseye -- So ugly it is cute. Not a very practical user. Interesting experience. Very "fiddly" camera. I'll either put it on the shelf or part ways with it after 20 rolls.

I'm finding that I'm getting "new" cameras -- especially very old ones -- just to have the experience of using them. Not very normal, but I get bored easy.

There must be a bit of the collector in me, because every time I get down to two cameras it balloons back up to 8-10. But I've already shot 80 rolls of film this year, so hoarding as long as you're using is not too bad.

M7, MP, M4 -- I use mostly the modern rangefinders. I put too much money into the M4 after it fell into the drink to get rid of it. I've picked up 7 m lenses from 35 -- 135. Some I use a lot, others not so much.

2 Leicaflex SL -- Big and heavy, but so fun to use. The microprism focusing screen is just so different from rangefinder focusing that it's a very nice change of pace. Only 2 lenses for them now, but I'll add a few more in the months to come.

Zeiss Ikon Contaflex IV -- Very retro. Very cheap. Very small. And fun.

Zeiss Ikon Contarex Bullseye -- So ugly it is cute. Not a very practical user. Interesting experience. Very "fiddly" camera. I'll either put it on the shelf or part ways with it after 20 rolls.

I'm finding that I'm getting "new" cameras -- especially very old ones -- just to have the experience of using them. Not very normal, but I get bored easy.

+ an Argus C3 w/ lenses given to me as a gift. I have yet to put any film through it, although loaded and ready to go.

A Hello to all Leicaphiles from not so sunny Cornwall.

I have a few cameras that I use when I can, but disability means that that is not as often as I'd like.

Leica M6 and R-E, Nikon FE2 and Nikkormat Ftn, Olympus XA, Kit built Wooden 5x4 and a digital Canon 450d.

I use both a Nikkor 55mm macro and a Vario-Elmar 70-210mm lens on the Canon with great success.

Regards to all.

Tony

Currently, in order of acquisition: Leica M4-2, Leica R9, Leica R6.2, Leica CL, Leica M3, Rollei 35 (inherited from my father).

Previously: Contaflex, Contarex Bullseye, Contarex Super (2).

I'm now using mostly my R9-DMR and M9, but I KNOW I'll get back to film soon!

Guy

How many? I guess too many. Like many people I have tried to sell, but every now and then, I come across another tempting camera on eBay or some other sites. So my collection, M7, MP, M6ttl, contax G2, Fuji645, Nikon F3, FA, FE2... My wife is breathing over my shoulders, saying "enough already". Now she wants the iPad.

In my case 3--MP M6 and M2--and it is always fun when the slides come back because there are usually surprises.

It took me years to realise that kodachrome 64 came back better when rated at 40.

I am now going up the same learning curve with Ektachrome Provia and Velvia. Underexposure at 100 is again apparent. So far E100G has the edge.

As for equipment failure it has usually been my fault--leader not cut long enough etc.

I own over 50 film cameras with a concentration on Minolta, Canon, and Nikon manual focus and Minolta and Nikon autofocus. I also have a 1923 vintage Graflex Reflex B in working condition and a dozen or so point and shoots, a few folders, and several 60s era rangefinders of the Ansco Autoset and Voigtlander Vito type. Just prior to getting the Leica I acquired a 4x5 view camera and darkroom setup for pennies on the dollar.

I use about 7 or 8 film cameras fairly regularly, mostly the Leica M3 now that I have three lenses for it, but the Minolta 7 or Nikon Photomic F2 for SLR work. I have a Nikon S2 rangefinder with a Russian Jupiter 12 35mm lens that I just particularly like for street shooting when sharpness isn't a major issue. It was my first camera, in 1968, and I haven't had to use a light meter with it for 40 years, without losing more than one frame in a hundred because of wrong exposures. For some reason this "sense" of light doesn't seem to carry over to the Leica. I need a meter on it, and am trying to get a MR-4 working as you might note in another post here.

Sounds crazy, but I have acquired the whole collection in the last year for less than the cost of one digital Leica, and in fact less than the cost of a top line Leica lens.

The economies of film have been turned on their head with the M3, however. The camera came as a windfall, but I have already spent as much on my three modest lenses for it as ...well, I better exercise some discretion here in case my wife is reading this.

• Like 1

Guest Randle P. McMurphy

How many Cameras ?

Think I need one more Hand to count all for this - but something about 13 maybe.

Moste of them I bought used over Ebay - just for low Money - because a lot of

people change to digital Cameras in the last years.

So you are able to get all-time-classics like the Nikon F3 or F4 for just something

about 100-150 € incl. MD4 Motor-Drive.

Sad but true - this gear seems to be worthless as soon the own a new D3 or D700.

*Facepalm*

Peace

Randle

:):)