chrome lenses?

jacksparrow

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey all,

Recently purchased a chrome MP, with 50 mm chrome to match. I'm thinking chrome might have been a mistake, since it seems that the only other lens available in chrome is the 35 mm'cron (sorry, but don't particularly fancy the black lens+chrome body combo)

I also read very recently that Leica might not develop any more chrome lenses due to their higher costs. Any comments on that? is there a 75 mm in chrome? what are the prospects for other chrome lenses to come out?

tnks.

Leica has actually cancelled many of the chrome lenses, including the 21 ASPH, 24 ASPH and 90. I believe that none of the 75s were offered in chrome, though in the Digital forum, someone said a few APO Summicrons were made in chrome (though he mentioned something like 5, so take that with a grain of salt). Right now, I think only the 50 and 35 mm lenses are offered in chrome. The 28 never has been and the 135 not for a very long time.

I have a chrome M6 and I think the black lenses look fine, but of course not as cool as the chrome ones. They all take great pictures though!

Keith

Apart from the 35 'cron and 50mm 'lux, 'cron and Elmar, they still make the Macro-Elmar 4/90 in chrome, so you can still have a set of 35, 50 and 90mm lenses in chrome. Others were stopped pretty recently, so you might still find the 21, 24, 35 'lux, 90 'cron etc. new if you look hard enough.

Andy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chrome plated lenses are made from brass so they are much heavier ,

chrome is very hard so it wears better , black lenses are Aluminium alloy anodised black since aluminium can not be chrome plated. Anodising is tough but chrome will last longer. Absolut no difference in the optics and focusing helicals are brass in all lenses.

I'm not aware of any durability issues with the aluminum mounts. They weigh a lot less, focus very smoothly, and last for many decades. I have two from 1970 and the rest are newer. All my lenses are well used and in perfect condition. I see no reason to buy the heavy chrome lenses. I don't buy lenses to look at or take to bed. That's what wives are for. ;-)