135 Elmar and M8 - is this possible?

jtharvie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I am heartened by the availability of M8.2 and fine used lenses available on the Buy and Sell. I may soon do more than just look (depending on what I owe to the tax man this year).

Can anyone tell me about using the 135 Elmar. Is this possible? If so, how do you focus?

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,

jth

You can indeed use the 135 Elmar - but you will need to watch your rangefinder image alignment VERY carefully and also estimate just what you'll get in the actual picture. A short time experimenting will let you know where the 'imaginary frame line' is in the viewfinder.

I have two 135s, a Hektor and a Canon, both of which focus perfectly. I suppose one of the viewfinder mangifiers might be useful, but my own experience suggests you can manage fine without.

Here an example of photos* taken with M8 and Apo Telyt M 135mm :

buildings in the middle of the picture are located at about 1 km

I aim at the building by putting in "infinity" and I shoot (no problem with the magnifier)

* photos taken from my hospital office

Photo 1 : M8 Lux 50mm

Photo 2 : with 135mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Doc Henry

Thanks all,

Very informative with some fine examples.

Appreciate the help.

Cheers,

jth

Hi Jth

Another one taken at 100 m with 135 mm

same technique

.... buiding of our new hospital taken from my office

Best regards

Henry

Hi JT,

Using the 135 Tele Elmar is no problem in the M8. I use the 90mm patch as a rough guide to framing. Focus is critical, but gets easier with practice. I shot this image at the Dragon Boat races here in Windhoek a while ago. Taken at about 50m, 1/750 sec, f/4.0 and iso 160. These are fairly inexpensive lenses, in Leica terms that is, and can produce wonderful results.

Enjoy

Andreas

...For me magnifiers actually make focussing more difficult...

I think some other users have abandoned their magnifiers. The view is dimmed, which is more apparent when you stack two of the same magnifier. I've not made up my mind on this one. Anyone stacking magnifiers to use a 135 ?

Jth, this is a Tele Elmar 135mm f:4 on my M8. As you can see It is totally possible.

And focus and sharpness are spot on. Pushing the lens release button and turning the lens a little bit puts up the 90mm bright lines. To compose I know the image wil be someway between the patch and the 90 brightlines.

3953668782_7e331f8ae6_b.jpg

Edited by epand56

• 2 months later...
My simple rule is : use f8 (more when needed), focus with care, frame halfway 90-RF patch. 90 frame comes on with small over-rotation when mounted. Excellent lens.

At last I have found an excellent 135mm lens Elmar and have just tried it on my M8. Frankly I am staggered by the quality at F5.6-8 considering my version is nearly fifty (50) years old! I doubt the current Apo-Telyt M would better it. However it does have slightly lower contrast (easily corrected in Lightroom), but can be bought for around 1/10th of the price of the Apo-Telyt. M. It is also noticeably softer at full aperture which is good for some subjects although my default setting is as stated above. Undoubtedly the current lens scores at maximum aperture. Luigi's tips are also first class advice.

Framing and range-finding call for care and practice. At least with the M8 you can check within seconds. I am using the rangefinder patch as a guide and use my imagination to factor in the extra taken in at close and far distances; they do vary. The lens is fitted with a tripod bush and the camera works well with the lens thus attached.

My first impressions are that it is a highly affordable option for those M8 (or M3 to M7) owners who have occasional need for a longer lens.