28mm elmarit asph

cheewai_m6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

those who have a 28mm elmarit asph, can you please let me/us know your experience with it on the m9? i have read several reports with different opinions saying not sharp at corners, however others say on a full frame, it's perfectly sharp at corners at f2.8. in real world use on the m9/full frame, does this lens live up to the usual standards? it's been implied this lens was specifically for the m8's cropped sensor, however i don't believe leica will make a lense for the m8 without it being 100% suitable for full frame.

i am definitely looking at buying this lens, or the type 4, maybe type 3 if i can't find any around.

can you please post some photos up also? thank you

I have this lens and love it. I don't have any examples @ f/2.8 handy but here's a couple @ f/8 and f/5.6 respectively. They are from my RFF gallery so they are quite low resolution.

I use it mostly on film because I don't have an M9 but I did get to try it on an M9 for a weekend and these examples come from that opportunity. I'll just add that I find it has very good flare resistance too!

vans28mm2IRFF.jpg

roadBWRFF.jpg

i wonder why all these reports are saying it's got unsharp corners. i'm thinking they've never used this lens before.

photogdave. that shot of the combis is good, i like it. i'm interested in real world sharpness, and from your results, it looks like it's a great lens. if i really only print to 5x7 so i think it's a fine lens.

If you look at the MTFs in the Leica spec sheet, it does look as if the 28 Elmarit was designed to optimize the M8's smaller image circle. The lens was announced at about the same time as the M8, and its own literature talks about its effective focal length on an M8, not about how it works with film or gthe M9. At f/2.8, there is some falloff of contrast at all resolutions beyond a 15mm radius, which means outside the M8's field of view. At f/5.6 and f/8 it is an awesome performer across the full frame. Its contrast and flare rejection is high (as confirmed by Sean Reid's tests a while back), distortion is almost zero, and it is very small. It looks like a fairly symmetric design and it does sit rather far into the lens cavity -- when I used an old '60s Leica back cap on mine, I scratched the rear element -- thank Heavens for the US Passport warranty!

scott

If you look at the MTFs in the Leica spec sheet, it does look as if the 28 Elmarit was designed to optimize the M8's smaller image circle. The lens was announced at about the same time as the M8, and its own literature talks about its effective focal length on an M8, not about how it works with film or gthe M9. At f/2.8, there is some falloff of contrast at all resolutions beyond a 15mm radius, which means outside the M8's field of view. At f/5.6 and f/8 it is an awesome performer across the full frame. Its contrast and flare rejection is high (as confirmed by Sean Reid's tests a while back), distortion is almost zero, and it is very small. It looks like a fairly symmetric design and it does sit rather far into the lens cavity -- when I used an old '60s Leica back cap on mine, I scratched the rear element -- thank Heavens for the US Passport warranty!

scott

HI Scott

I understand that this lens actually produces the steepest angle of incidence of any of the leica lenses on full frame, which does suggest that it was designed when most thoughts were of cropped sensors. So I can imagine it will have sharper corners stopped down a little.

I sold mine and bought a 28 'cron instead, and I still regret it - nothing wrong with the 28 'cron, but the elmarit is a lovely little lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jono, I recall that two close observers didn't like the 28 Elmarit all that much, but for different reasons. Sean Reid found it too contrasty, not the sort of "sunny day" characteristics that he likes to see in a small lens. Walt Odets thought it compressed the middle tones too much, which sounds like a contradiction to Sean's observation, except that they are operating in different Zones.

I have both, like both. Since I'm getting familiar with the M9 by walking around a lot, shooting anything that moves, the 28 Elmarit and 35 Summicron are doing most of the work.

scott

I've had both the summicron and the elmarit asph. The summicron is a great performer, and is technically the better lens, but I felt the elmarit asph has more bite, less flare, less distortion, is smaller, and more suited to the Leica ideal of small camera, small lens.

I sold the summicron, kept the elmarit and don't regret it. I dumped the supplied lens hood, using instead the screw in hood from the collapsable elmarit 50, so the viewfinder is pretty clear. But actually flare suppression is so good, a hood is virtually unnecessary except for physical protection.

The hood on the summicron is too big, but unfortunately you do need to use it.

I no longer have a digital M, just use an MP. Great combo. The elmarit 28 asph on film is fantastic.

MTF curves don't always give the full story. The curves on the summicron 35 asph aren't particularly flat or flattering, but that too is a stunning lens.

As a general observation (and Jono Slack kind of backs up my theory), those that have the elmarit asph understandably want the summicron because it's the more expensive, but those that have both, or have had both tend to prefer the elmarit, or have a soft spot for it.

Edited by marcusperkins

in terms of size, what is the size of the type 3 and type 4 elmarits? the asph is very apeealing because of it's size. are the older ones still pretty small lenses??

The old Elmarit's 28mm are quite similar in size and wight to the current Summicon 28mm (approx 250-260g) and much bigger and heavier then the Asph Elmarit (180g).

The latest pre-asph version (IV version) is a stellar performer.

Cheers,

Ario

those who have a 28mm elmarit asph, can you please let me/us know your experience with it on the m9? i have read several reports with different opinions saying not sharp at corners, however others say on a full frame, it's perfectly sharp at corners at f2.8. in real world use on the m9/full frame, does this lens live up to the usual standards? it's been implied this lens was specifically for the m8's cropped sensor, however i don't believe leica will make a lense for the m8 without it being 100% suitable for full frame.

i am definitely looking at buying this lens, or the type 4, maybe type 3 if i can't find any around.

28mm Elmarit ASPH 2.8 of Leica ?

I think that is one amongst the Best in Leica M !

On M8 or M9 , this lens always give the best results . If I have to get only one lens , this will be no regret the Leica 28mm Elmarit Asph 2.8 !

Shot with 28/2.8 Elmarit-M asph

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

HI Scott

Jono, I recall that two close observers didn't like the 28 Elmarit all that much, but for different reasons. Sean Reid found it too contrasty, not the sort of "sunny day" characteristics that he likes to see in a small lens. Walt Odets thought it compressed the middle tones too much, which sounds like a contradiction to Sean's observation, except that they are operating in different Zones.

I have both, like both. Since I'm getting familiar with the M9 by walking around a lot, shooting anything that moves, the 28 Elmarit and 35 Summicron are doing most of the work.

scott

I think lots of people were sniffy about this lens (it was also rather cheap when it came out). Leica just don't have the hang of convincing people about their little lenses - one of my current favorites is the little 35 summarit - tiny with a good bokeh.

I sold the summicron, kept the elmarit and don't regret it. I dumped the supplied lens hood, using instead the screw in hood from the collapsable elmarit 50, so the viewfinder is pretty clear. But actually flare suppression is so good, a hood is virtually unnecessary except for physical protection.

As a general observation (and Jono Slack kind of backs up my theory), those that have the elmarit asph understandably want the summicron because it's the more expensive, but those that have both, or have had both tend to prefer the elmarit, or have a soft spot for it.

I think you're right . . . mind you, I had a revelation about lens hoods . . . . . . . I don't use them (except the built in hoods on the 50, 75 and 90). If I'm shooting into the sun, I use my hand to shade the lens, and I almost never get a flare problem. Suddenly all those big wides become small wides!