Sign in to follow this  
nabarund

Digilux-2 power drain/battery sensor problem?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi L-forum,

has anybody experienced sudden battery drain on the Digilux-2? I will charge up the battery to full, pop it in the camera, and can take 15 pics or so (JPEG) before the camera tells me that the battery is nearly empty, and then won't turn back on. I replaced the battery and same problem. When I put the battery in the charger, it charges pretty quickly, so I am leaning towards something being funny with the battery sensor and not the battery itself?? I can't imagine that there is an electrical short that would drain the battery so quickly -- the camera doesn't get hot, so where would all that energy go? Has anybody else seen this happen? Any insight?

I haven't seen other posts about this problem, but my apologies if it's already been discussed. If so, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Anybody have any suggestions on a repair shop in NYC that can handle the electricals?

thanks L-forum.

ndg

Hi,

Lithium-ion battery have limited lifetime. (top 2-3 first years but could be 5)

Did you try some cross test with a new one ?

More on this page Is lithium-ion the ideal battery?

How to prolong lithium-based batteries : http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

All you ever want to know about your battery, and more !

Cheer

Edited by Algo

I had similar problem when my Image sensor failed. Was OK when image sensor was replaced.Could also be the battery reaching end of life, so try new battery first.

Yes, I tried a new battery and it had the same problem. Sorry that wasn't clear in my original post. So I think it is something internal to the camera.

thanks in advance for your help.

If the battery have life limit, will there still be replacements in 10 years? Will we still be enjoying D2 in 2020?

Maybe this all end at 2012?

Hsin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I should start stocking up aftermarket batteries right away!!

Hopefully by 2012 Leica and/or Panasonic will have something to show that outperforms D2's qualities.

I should start stocking up aftermarket batteries right away!!

Nope

Hopefully, this kind of battery pack is useful for a lot of material.

It should be maintain for a long time after ...

Edited by Algo

Save your batteries even after they stop working. This model battery (and the slightly better but compatible 1700mah battery for the Digilux 3) may not be made forever, but the generic cells they contain may be. Online battery 'shops' can swap out the old cells for new ones in the containers you provide.

thanks for the comments, everyone.

the camera is back from the hospital. some $560 later, they changed the motherboard, gave it a software update, and fixed a little wear and tear on the focus ring. they had to order the motherboard, and it took about 2 weeks to get it back from the time i authorized the service.

i love this camera, so the repairs were worth it. still, the repair price tag does smart!

the batteries i was using before all work fine now, so it wasn't a power pack issue.

so thanks Leica Hospital NJ. i just wish the motherboard had failed while it was still under warranty.

ndg

Yes, I tried a new battery and it had the same problem. Sorry that wasn't clear in my original post. So I think it is something internal to the camera.

thanks in advance for your help.

Do you use the original charger? That is recommended and my experience is to use the original charger only! 2nd idea: could be a problem with the charger itself, if also another cell failed.

yes, i had been using the original charger, and also the charger from my panasonic version (camera had been stolen and i was left with the extra charger). it ended up not being a cell failure or charger problem, but a motherboard/software problem. fixed now! thanks.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By bjamisonf
      Where can one find the battery charge level?
      What's the best way to extend the battery life? 
      If I shoot DNG/JPG, where do the JPGs end up? I don’t see them when I import the files into Lightroom. Are they the ones transferred over to the Leica Photos? 
      If one shoots A for aperture, shutter speed, and focus, is it the same as Full Auto in Scene Mode?
      I notice the photos I take in Black and White turn to color when I import them into Lightroom. Importing the B&W photo into Leica Fotos shows it is B&W, which I assume is so that it can be shared. My question is: Are there specific Lightroom presets that show the Leica style?
      I occasionally get the red box with spinning circle. Why does it do that? I assume it’s writing to disk but I’ve had occasions where I haven’t taken a photo at all, so there’s nothing to “write to disk.”
      Can I use the Leica Q2 LCD panel to focus/shoot like my Canon 5D Mark IV? Maybe I’m wrong but I recall seeing a video of a Leica Q doing so. 
      Does changing the user profile also change what’s found on the favorites menu? 
      Is there any sort of logic for how to set up the FN versus the wheel button? I appreciate their usefulness but I find I can’t remember what’s where and I end up going back to the menu button. Any suggestions on how to set it up logically? 

• By Ron Naeve
      The first time I charged my Q2's battery it went to the green "charge" light. Yesterday the battery indicator was red. so I charged it overnight. this morning both the green charge and the orange 80% are lite. does this mean it's not fully charging? I pulled it out and re-inserted it. the charge was blinking but then stopped after 5 minutes. the orange 80% is still lite.? to me this means it's stuck between 80-100%? ? Anyone else experience this?
    • By Maien_
      Hello there!
      I feel like something is wrong with my Leica M6, but I can't confirm as it's my very first Leica (and I LOVE it).
      When it is 'powered' (fresh new batteries and not on Bulb mode), if I press the shutter half-way or even all-the-way, I don't get any reading in the viewfinder.
      The light meter is powered on and giving me a reading only when the wind lever has been pulled completely and the camera is ready to take a picture.
      While I can still use the camera properly, in specific light conditions (low light, cloudy and changing light) it's a bit risky to use as sometimes I have to wait 10-15 mins to have the natural lighting I'm looking for and the trigger could be pressed by inadvertence at any moment.
      Could you guys please confirm that:
      This is not normal, and the light meter should give me a reading even though I didn't pull the lever (as long as the camera is not on Bulb mode) It wouldn't be too crazy to fix as it should 'just' be a connection missing Thank you in advance.
    • By hoonetic
      So, I recently bought a preowned m240 from a Leica store and realized there was a problem when I was charging the battery.  The CHARGE LED would blink and after several hours both the CHARGE and 80% would be flashing at the same time.  Tried it several times but the battery would not charge properly.  I contacted the Leica store and told them what the issue was, so they decided to send me a replacement battery that was also used, but unfortunately, the issue still happens when I tried to charge the replacement.
      I'm planning on ordering one of the Nitecore USB chargers and maybe a new Leica charger to test the batteries.
      Has anyone heard of issues with Leica chargers for the m240s? 
      Thanks!
    • By marcdb
      I recently bought a NOS TL. I'm still figuring out the best way to use it - but nevertheless, so far, it's hard not to like the camera. 

One issue that I have with the TL does not seem to be normal however: when I remove the battery for charging, and the camera is without battery for eg one night, I loose all settings: date and time, and the settings in which I was working before I removed the battery. Saved profiles are still there. Just a problem with the internal battery, or… normal for a TL?

Marc