Digilux-2 power drain/battery sensor problem?

nabarund

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi L-forum,

has anybody experienced sudden battery drain on the Digilux-2? I will charge up the battery to full, pop it in the camera, and can take 15 pics or so (JPEG) before the camera tells me that the battery is nearly empty, and then won't turn back on. I replaced the battery and same problem. When I put the battery in the charger, it charges pretty quickly, so I am leaning towards something being funny with the battery sensor and not the battery itself?? I can't imagine that there is an electrical short that would drain the battery so quickly -- the camera doesn't get hot, so where would all that energy go? Has anybody else seen this happen? Any insight?

I haven't seen other posts about this problem, but my apologies if it's already been discussed. If so, I would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Anybody have any suggestions on a repair shop in NYC that can handle the electricals?

thanks L-forum.

ndg

Hi,

Lithium-ion battery have limited lifetime. (top 2-3 first years but could be 5)

Did you try some cross test with a new one ?

More on this page Is lithium-ion the ideal battery?

How to prolong lithium-based batteries : http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

All you ever want to know about your battery, and more !

Cheer

Edited by Algo

I should start stocking up aftermarket batteries right away!!

Nope :rolleyes: Lithium-ion battery have limited lifetime ... in use or not :p

Hopefully, this kind of battery pack is useful for a lot of material.

It should be maintain for a long time after ...

Edited by Algo

Save your batteries even after they stop working. This model battery (and the slightly better but compatible 1700mah battery for the Digilux 3) may not be made forever, but the generic cells they contain may be. Online battery 'shops' can swap out the old cells for new ones in the containers you provide.

• 2 months later...

thanks for the comments, everyone.

the camera is back from the hospital. some $560 later, they changed the motherboard, gave it a software update, and fixed a little wear and tear on the focus ring. they had to order the motherboard, and it took about 2 weeks to get it back from the time i authorized the service.

i love this camera, so the repairs were worth it. still, the repair price tag does smart! :rolleyes:

the batteries i was using before all work fine now, so it wasn't a power pack issue.

so thanks Leica Hospital NJ. i just wish the motherboard had failed while it was still under warranty.

ndg

Yes, I tried a new battery and it had the same problem. Sorry that wasn't clear in my original post. So I think it is something internal to the camera.

thanks in advance for your help.

Do you use the original charger? That is recommended and my experience is to use the original charger only! 2nd idea: could be a problem with the charger itself, if also another cell failed.

• 3 weeks later...

yes, i had been using the original charger, and also the charger from my panasonic version (camera had been stolen and i was left with the extra charger). it ended up not being a cell failure or charger problem, but a motherboard/software problem. fixed now! thanks.