the perfect travel kit

geesbert

I've spent years lugging around a Nikon D2X then D3 for my travel and street photography. I don't do wildlife, macro, sports etc... so its always been a bit of an overkill. I used Olympus 4:3 for a bit but the image quality wasn't up to it. So for the past 2 1/2 years I've been using a D3 with a 20mm f2.8 (landscapes), 28mm f1.4 (a slightly too wide street lens), 85 mm f1.4 (street portraits). not ideal, but the image quality and bokeh is fine.

I'm now moving completely to the M9 and so far I have:

35 Lux ASPH - brilliant 35mm perfect focal length street lens with the perfect crisp focus and soft bokeh. Stunned by it......

75 Cron APO ASPH - perfect for street portraits (see other thread for the focus issues, I'm getting a new one)

24 Elmarit ASPH with finder (for landscapes, on its way courtesy of the L-Camera forum).

the whole lot fits nicely in my Crumpler Ben's Pizza, No backpacks :-)))

- I'm tempted to add the 50 lux ASPH, as sometimes the gap between 35 and 75 seems a little large, but I'll wait a bit.

I can't say how happy I am with the system, and I'm getting along just fine with the RF, being brought up on Olympus OM, I used my D3 in singe point AF, manual exposure, single shot mode anyway....

Edited by newtoleica

This would be mine after some experiments:

M8.2

35 Lux ASPH (or 35 Cron ASPH as a weight switcher, if the bag feels too heavy after packing)

50 Lux ASPH ( or 50 Noctilux)

The 50 question is really difficult - until I got the Noct, it was a no brainer, the 50 Lux ASPH being my all time favorite lens, but since I have seen, what the Noctilux can do, I am completely hooked. It is just it's weight - not the size, just the weight, that doesn't fit well in a multi lens travel kit.

(90 Cron pre ASPH) is a must, if no Noctilux

135 APO Telyt (light, simple and wonderful for travel - you won't feel the weight, but have the reach or background separation, when needed)

I might throw the 15 Heliar and finder into the bag as well, but might likely not use it .

4 extra batteries + charger

As much SD cards, as needed for the trip + the worlds smallest SD to USB adaptor from SanDisk + one backup.

B&W MRC filter for rainy/ dusty days

one B&W ND 46mm (this is great, as it fits the 35 and 50 Lux + the 135 Telyt)

A M7 is my backup with 5-10 rolls Tri-X with me.

Should the M8.2 die, could I live also on cheap discounter film, I can pick up on the road. I'd hate, to shoot mainly film for a very long journey, now, that sharing, backing up, transporting digital is sooo easy and convenient.

The biggest issue really is to lug a computer around. No way, I'd take anything, running Windows. No way would I like to lug a 15" Mac also (I do daily for work, but on a long trip - no thanks).

I really hated the news, when Apple introduced the iPad - just a sofa toy instead of what it COULD have been:

-a bit smaller, than it is now

-natively running Mac OS X 10.6 (all my programs would run the same as on the Mac including Adobe Lightroom, mail.app and iWeb)

-expandable hdd space up to 120GB minimum

-expandable battery life (external Li-Ion power pack)

-at least 2 USB2 connectors

-at least 1xFW800 + 1xFW400 connector

-SATA port as a bonus (eSATA drives for backup/ expansion or a small few GB big internal drive expansion inside the slot)

-bluetooth (mouse + keyboard support)

The only choice for this task now is, to take a Windows Netbook and have it run OS X after hacking it - what a pain!

The Apple Macbook Air is a joke in having no external connectivity for fast hdd support, but an ok-ish small package for the price of at least 3 (!) usual net books!

Interesting list. For me the steps in focal length would be too narrow in relationsship to portability. I can imagine that one would not want to be without any of these great lenses, but I would scale down depending on destination.

For just travel (without wildlife) my kit would be:

24 Summilux

50 Summilux asph

Elmarit 90.

M8

M9

I might even, -heresy-! replace the 24 by an Elmarit 28 and the Summilux asph by an Elmar-M 50, for maximum portability if I had to carry the stuff for long distances..

Edited by jaapv

I guess it depends on what we mean by "travel". I carry this kit (leaving stuff at home!) when I am staying at another "home base" location, then take what I need on a given day. If I were really "out there", hiking, moving from place to place, etc. I'd pair down, and I guess that is more what the tread is about. In that case it would be

M9

21 lux

35 lux

90 elamarit ...or....

28 cron

50 lux

90 elmarit.....unless I was only doing portraits in which case

M7 0.85 and 75 lux

I love this thread. I was reading it from the start without noticing who had written which post. I started reading a post that described exactly what I would choose to take and how to take it. The poster was brilliant! I checked to see if they were in the US and discovered he lived in my town and it was me in a posting back in November. I guess I would use the same kit today but skip the winter jacket, and add a iPad.

• Like 2

More and more I now travel with M9 and just one lens. Depending on circumstances, it will usually be either MATE or 35 asph Lux v1, plus an iPad. Just walked from parking to MP2 terminal in Marseille, and it was nearly a pleasure to carry my bag.

Wilson