Bitched like Hell...

andalus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M9 Grey paid for at B&H but noi camera. As of last week. So I just called them and politely asked for an estimated deleivery date. Guy put me on hold for a while and came back with...nothing. So I told him off: I am a longtime customer. You don't take 7k and tell a customer you can't even provide an ESTIMATE of delivery. Am I supposed to gove you 7k for something I don't see for two or three months. You'd better talk to your manager. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Anyway, maybe I shook the ice a bit. Hope so. B&H is usually great to deal with, but this crap about taking a 7k payment and offering nothing, not even a hoped for date, is INSANE!!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generally I've had good experience with B&H, but you have my sympathy on this one. There was a time when B&H would take a credit card # but not charge it until they had the product to ship (That's how they handled an Epson RD-1 for me 5 years ago). If that has changed, it is bad policy.

Although I agree that one should ask before purchasing, I do think in general its a bit strange for any company to charge for something that they have yet to deliver.

With that said, I should also say that I have been purchasing my photo equipment from BH photo for at least the last 20 years and have never had a problem. They are the best in the business imho.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It can be worse. I paid for my M9 then waited for weeks. Finally I got it and ...... a DOA. Now its gone and i am waiting for a new one. I think for weeks again. I send an E-mail to Leica to hear how they handle this and i did not even got an answer.

I have an M9 Grey paid for at B&H but noi camera. ... Am I supposed to gove you 7k for something I don't see for two or three months. You'd better talk to your manager. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!

I'm sorry, but who is that crazy to pay the full price for any ordered article in advance?

Who is even that much more crazy to pay for an article, which is known for its unavailability and costs more than 7k????

I do not understand. This is far away from any rational decision.

Guest AgXlove

I have always had good service from B&H, with the exception of one time when some sales guy with an Italian accent copped an attitude with me. I hugn up on him, called back, got 'hold of the camera sales departmental Pooh-Bah and let him know about the attitude problem of his underling. Problem fixed, order placed, back to B&H's routinely commendable service.

If there has ever been a piece of photographic kit that requires the patience of Job in terms of order fulfillment, it has got to be the M9. I can totally understand being a bit impatient, especially after forking over 7000 Balboas in advance - but camera dealers seem to be in the same boat as their customers in regard of the M9 and it is a very slow boat indeed.

There is a global frenzy of demand for this camera and they are being produced at a snail's pace, compared to the pace of orders. I don't know how Leica could produce them any faster - they could go to a 'round the clock production schedule - but where would they get experienced, trained technicians to fill those additional work shifts? These ain't exactly $3 solar calculators from China Mart that they are building...

I wish all who are waiting for their M9 the best of luck, and a buttload of patience to boot. As for me, I'm in no hurry - I'm on a purchase list for March 2010 because it's gonna take me that long to scrape up the king's ransom these little jewels are going for.

I'm sorry, but who is that crazy to pay the full price for any ordered article in advance?

Who is even that much more crazy to pay for an article, which is known for its unavailability and costs more than 7k????

As crazy as those who pre-ordered in July and sold their M8's to fund it? Pop-Flash, one of the most reputable online Leica Dealers, has been taking $2k NON REFUNDABLE deposits with no estimate of delivery. Now to me that is irrational.

Paying upfront to get an M9 in 2-3 weeks from B&H seems like a pretty good deal to me. Especially when the order can be cancelled, returned, or even disputed with Amex if it came to that. ;)

B&H is just making sure you are serious. Trying to avoid the people who are putting their name on multiple lists at the same time.

Apparently, in another thread titled «B&H photo M9 delivery changes» many people find this perfectly normal and not crazy at all. I don't, and I said so. I hate having been right.

Edited by hammam

As crazy as those who pre-ordered in July and sold their M8's to fund it? Pop-Flash, one of the most reputable online Leica Dealers, has been taking $2k NON REFUNDABLE deposits with no estimate of delivery. Now to me that is irrational.

While every dealer is free to run his/her business in any way they please, hearing this makes me appreciate David Farkas even more as he is an outstanding guy that really goes the extra mile for his customers (regardless of their geographic location)... Anyone still waiting for an M9 should definitely give him a call and get on his list as he only takes names (and not credit cards) in advance and once your M9 comes in you have no obligations to purchase it if you were able to find one or if you changed your mind.

Cheers,

I hate having been right.

Right about what? LOL!

When I called I was told they only start accepting orders when they know stock is on it's way... 7-14 days. They started taking orders, what... 5 days ago if you include the weekend? But because one random employee didn't have a definitive answer all of a sudden B&H is involved in some sort of conspiracy? Please.

Right about what? LOL!

When I called I was told they only start accepting orders when they know stock is on it's way... 7-14 days. They started taking orders, what... 5 days ago if you include the weekend? But because one random employee didn't have a definitive answer all of a sudden B&H is involved in some sort of conspiracy? Please.

Who said anything about conspiracy? Please.

Right about what? LOL!

And, BTW, the random employee» put the OP on hold for a while, probably went to ask his colleagues, then came back with no answer. So, it seems that this «random employee» is not the only one at B&H with no clue as to approximately when the M9 will be shipped. How come they didn't say 7-14 days, if that's what they told YOU?

Edited by hammam

Yes, hollering at some poor slob at the other end of the line will do wonders:confused:. If I were him I'd be sure to bump your name to the BOTTOM of the list.

If I knew you called me a «poor slob» I'd put YOU at the bottom of the list :D

How come they didn't say 7-14 days, if that's they told YOU?

I don't know. That's kind of my point. Nobody know, nobody is "right". Since this whole B&H thing seems to bother you so much maybe you should call and ask them! ;)

Personally, I'm enjoying sitting back and wondering "what if". What if those ordering from BH actually get there M9 shipped within 2 weeks of ordering. Wouldn't that be a riot? :D

Here around you can give credit card details but it's illegal to charge a card until the product has actually been shipped. That is a fair way.

So I wonder if the B&H deal is that the money is being reserved off the card, then charged when the product i sent, or actually charged when ordered.

In any case, with what I have read elsewhere on the forum about experience with B&H, I would consider t a good idea to buy one there because they must think they can deliver pretty soon (that's the experience I read others had from the past).

Only thing I can say is that WHEN you get the M9, you wll be happy like a little buy. Best Christmas ever :rolleyes: