Leicaflex SL / German 35-70 Vario Elmar combo o.k. ?

jimbo035

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After buyng an SL with a 1966 35mm Elmarit, went slightly mad and added a 2-cam 90 mm Elmarit and f4/21 mm Super Angulon. I shall not part with the latter but due to the combined weight of the 28 and 90 and Leicaflex SL, I am seriously considering replacing these lenses with a "Made in Germany" 3.5/35-70 Vario Elmar. [Minolta and Kyocera being anathema to me :p ]

[The heavy Angulon can go in a small bag on my other shoulder, as & when :) ]

I would stick with the primes.

The German 35/70 f3.5 lens is identical to the earlier Japanese made one in optical design, but the front of the lens doesn't rotate when you focus (so better if using a polariser filter). The later f4 35/70 is meant to be better optically.

However, the primes are still faster and ultimately - IMHO - better quality.

I would stick with the primes.

The German 35/70 f3.5 lens is identical to the earlier Japanese made one in optical design, but the front of the lens doesn't rotate when you focus (so better if using a polariser filter). The later f4 35/70 is meant to be better optically.

However, the primes are still faster and ultimately - IMHO - better quality.

I would dearly like to stick with the primes, James . Memories of an M6 with a 35 & 90 some years ago persist, a combination unaffordable now - hence the SL alternative. Yet advancing years (7th decade) regrettably means that carrying even the SL with just the 90 for a day proves to be

more of a chore than a pleasure. But I would ''suffer gladly' the 450g weight of the Vario-Elmar in exchange for that of the two Elmarits ...

Edited by jimbo035

Ah, well, in that case you're probably best off with the later f4 lens. Of the earlier ones, as long as you're not paying too much of a premium for it, the German v2 is better constructed that the Japanese v1.

been checking Leica dealers' second-hand lists for the later f4 version.... and it looks as though its unsuitable for an SL, i.e only ROM fitting. I'll give Peter Grisaffi of CRR in Luton (who recently serviced my camera) a call to see if he could remove the ROM gubbins & retrofit two cams..... (just in case).

Have you considered trying a photographer's waistcoat/vest and leaving your bag at home? Your 90mm Elmarit is a superb lens and deserves to be used in preference to any zoom. Lowepro, Pelican, Versa-Flex, and Tamrac all make 'rolling camera cases' which can be pulled instead of carried. I have seen solicitors and barristers using similar to carry their 'bundles' when attending court. http://products.lowepro.com/product/Rolling-CompuTrekker-Plus-AW,2023,17.htm

Cheers

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

Have you considered trying a photographer's waistcoat/vest and leaving your bag at home? Your 90mm Elmarit is a superb lens and deserves to be used in preference to any zoom. Lowepro, Pelican, Versa-Flex, and Tamrac all make 'rolling camera cases' which can be pulled instead of carried. I have seen solicitors and barristers using similar to carry their 'bundles' when attending court. Lowepro - Rolling CompuTrekker Plus AW

Cheers

dunk

Thanks Dunk, for your suggestion, as I hadn't considered a photographer's vest. Though during the past hour I have found details of both Lowe-Pro and Tamrac belt sytems - initially among Speed-Graphic's web pages. Further checking will follow to see if one of the associated lens cases will accommodate the 21/4 Super Angulon with the lens-hood attached - but I am already fairly confident that the 90 and 35mm Elmarits will be retained after all.

p.s. I once lived in a Lincolnshire village that susequently was allocated a PE postcode......

The f/4 lens does not fit on the SL.

My mistake, of course it will be R only and/or ROM. In that case go for the German made 3.5 lens if you really must have the zoom!

Another option - don't laugh - is to find a Tamron adapter and buy one of their SP range zoom's, they did a nice 28-80mm.

The 35-70/3.5 is a good choice. I have the Japanese (Minolta) version and also primes (28, 50 and 60). I find using the zoom is very convenient and I only use the primes for critical work, i.e. speed, wide open shooting, etc. The biggest issue with this zoom is minimum focusing distance which, I believe, is about 1 meter. That is sometimes an issue. I've never used the later version (f4), but it used to receive high praise and was better than either of the f3.5 versions. However, f4 is pretty slow. You should be able to find Japanese version for about $400 but inquire about the zooming as I believe there was an occasional issue about the zoom ring locking up; I never had that issue. The German version could be had for $700. The f4 version is closer to a grand.