M(9 & 16-18-21mm Tri-Elmar

steve70

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm pretty sure wasn't flare - It certainly wasn't related to pointing into the sun. Seemed to be worse in the middle of the frame.

It does sound like flare (of the veiling glare type) and it doesn't need the sun in the frame to happen. My Tri-Elmar demonstrated it on a number of occasions. It was particularly annoying because, being back in the 'film era' (how weird does that sound?), there was no opportunity to chimp the shot and retake it if the problem had arisen. The issue also afflicts the 50mm Summicron and is apparently a product of insufficient baffling on the inside of the lens at the rear (at least this was a plausible theory I read somewhere).

The nice thing with both the WATE and the MATE on the M9, is no pink circles from the UV/IR filters light bouncing backwards and forwards from the sensor to the filter. I think I am going to end up selling my M8, mainly because I just can't be bothered to carry all the UV/IR filters around and put them on and off again. The money I get from it, can go towards a 28 Summilux after Fotokina next year ;-}}

Wilson

I've complained in the past about occasional veiling glare at the 50mm setting with the Tri-Elmar. This might be the same thing as what Jono describes as "milkiness". The veiling glare was fairly unpredictable (didn't always occur with the sun in or near the frame) and was one of the reasons why I ended up selling the lens.

HI There

That certainly sounds like it - perhaps I just got unlucky (or lucky) with it - I'd been looking for one for so long and was overjoyed to get it, I went out shooting and about 1/4 shots at 50 showed the problem. Otherwise it was great.

Now I don't have the spare waronga to get another anway (I decided to get a second body instead). Maybe there will be a new model later on? Here's hoping!

The nice thing with both the WATE and the MATE on the M9, is no pink circles from the UV/IR filters light bouncing backwards and forwards from the sensor to the filter. I think I am going to end up selling my M8, mainly because I just can't be bothered to carry all the UV/IR filters around and put them on and off again. The money I get from it, can go towards a 28 Summilux after Fotokina next year ;-}}

Wilson

Hi Wilson

I was certain that I'd be keeping one of mine as a backup . . . . . but it's really convenient having two bodies to use in tandem, and I just didn't find that one M9 and one M8 was a good combination. So both of mine went . . .really quickly . . . I'm still waiting for the grey M9 to turn up.