M9 and M7 sample image comparisons

specpro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would be interested in comparing the result in the magazine--the final stage; the interest being which is best for an editorial spread. And I don't suppose the final scan made much of a difference. If the two workflows to get there were optimal why not make the comparison? I think the problem with this particular comparison is the two pictures are not matched for exposure.

A native Japanese speaker was kind enough to translate the caption to the right of the photos:

"Both images are taken with the same focal length but there's big difference on exposure rate around the edge. But such film camera's image may be good,too."

Yes I agree that the film camera image is good too!

I don't have access to the original images just the magazine.

• 1 month later...
I can't see any point in that comparison.

Conclusion;

Film is not digital.

Digital is not film.

Oh look, the sentences are exactly the same length!

The first sentence appears in fact longer! :eek:

:)

Says it all really doesn't it!

It would appear that Film is just slightly longer.:p

So the film image was scanned, then it was printed, and then it was scanned again.

The digital image was printed and then it was scanned. Both are being presented in low resolution.

From this I conclude I should just use my old 2 megapixel p&s.

What caught my eye is that the M9 appears to be correcting for vignetting and the M7 of course not. I happen to like vignetting - wish there was a way we could define in FW to color correct the edges but not the exposure.

The M9 shot should also have been more exposed for the highlights. I find digital to be a hybrid between slide and color neg when it comes to exposure and then the ability to correct after the fact. Something to keep in mind.