Your favorite 2 or 3 lens wedding kit on M9?

FrankA

The ideal kit for me would be:

1º two m9, 35/2 ASPH, 50/1,4 ASPH and may be the 28/2+ two flashes.

one m9 with each lens, 24 on the backpack for occasional shots. 50 for portraits, details, etc,... 35 for ambiance and general use.

you'll need two flashes for security and two bodies for the same reason, furthermore, without dust reduction on camera I'd prefer do not change the lenses too frequently.

2º one m9+35/2 ASPH + flash, one d700+24+50+flash.

This kit is cheaper and more versatil beacuse you can shoot at high ISO and you have autofocus if you need it.

if you like telephoto images you can add the nikkor 85/1,4 or the leica 75/2 ASPH.

Of course these are my personal preferences, I know most wedding photographers use a lot telephoto lenses but I've been reducing my gear and now my wedding work is far better than years ago and I'm working with two lenses...35 and 50.

For me the philosophy : "one camera one lens" works perfectly because you don't think anymore in gear but in images.

Sorry about my English, I'm learning...

Cheers

daniel belenguer

I agree about keeping things simple. For me, depending on how things go with the M9 and if I decide it's up to the task, it will be:

Two M9s, 28/2A, 35/1.4A, 90/2AA.

I know it seems like an odd spacing but it works for me. The 28 and 35 do the majority of the work. They have a different look, but also are close enough so that they can back each other up, if one camera hits the buffer or locks up for any reason, I can switch to the second body. The 90 is used infrequently for details, portraits, etc.

Ideally I'd have three bodies so I wouldn't have to switch lenses at all, but that is cost prohibitive with the M9 right now. With film I'd use the same kit but with three cameras, and .85 finders for the 35 and 90.

Simplicity, as already stated is the key... I make my selections based on the wedding location and lighting situation (see below) but a 50 lux is the most used lens...

Outdoor wedding in Sunny California

-28 cron

-50 lux

NYC wedding (all indoor in venues such as St. Patrick's Cathedral)

-21 lux

-50 lux or Nocti during the winter.

-135 APO (mostly for church grab shots)

Cheers,

Riccis, I've seen some of your wedding shots, and I always liked to ask you if you'd ever used a T/S lens too (ok, that's with a DSLR)... actually I'm referring to that wonderful shot of the wedding couple in front of a caravan...

Did I guess right?

Ciao,

Maurizio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree about keeping things simple. For me, depending on how things go with the M9 and if I decide it's up to the task, it will be:

Two M9s, 28/2A, 35/1.4A, 90/2AA.

"Simple"?

For goodness sake! Just take a Digilux2. Simple. :rolleyes:

Riccis, I've seen some of your wedding shots, and I always liked to ask you if you'd ever used a T/S lens too (ok, that's with a DSLR)... actually I'm referring to that wonderful shot of the wedding couple in front of a caravan...

Did I guess right?

Ciao,

Maurizio

Mauricio:

You are correct, that shot is about 5 years old and it was made with the Canon 45 TS/E lens. I have been in the past credited with starting the recent trend of using tilt and shit lenses in wedding and engagement images, I don't know if I did started the craze but I always had a lot of fun shooting tilt and shift for portraits back in my DSLR times.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers,

"Simple"?

For goodness sake! Just take a Digilux2. Simple. :rolleyes:

I don't think a 5MP point and shoot with an EVF can replace an 18MP digital rangefinder for image quality and control.:eek:

Two manual focus/exposure camera bodies and two main lenses with one extra for occasional use make for a pretty simple pro kit.

Edited by noah_addis
typo

You need at least two cameras and one or two flashes, plus two lenses....this is the minimun kit for shooting a wedding, a back-up camera is a must, and two identical bodies with a 28 or 35 and a 50 would be ideal.

If you are amateur you don't need two bodies, and of course you don't need a leica m9, if you like the m concept all you need is a second hand m8 +28/2,8, with this gear you can keep simple with good quality.

daniel belenguer

If you are amateur you don't need two bodies, and of course you don't need a leica m9, if you like the m concept all you need is a second hand m8 +28/2,8, with this gear you can keep simple with good quality.

daniel belenguer

Depends on your definition of an amateur... Some here define it simply as not having photography as your only income... I wish we had a better definition for those in between.

Daniel,

Even a pro might be able to shoot a wedding with a little less equipment.? :)

Though in general I agree, one always must have 100% redundancy, 2 cameras, if flash is required 2 units, lenses don't need as much overlap, as long as one can survive without one or another lens. I have never shot a wedding without two matching bodies. ( would be comfortable with a M8 in the bag as a backup to the M9 until I get a second )

BTW... very enjoyable Portfolio on your website, really enjoyed the many dynamic images.

Actually I think a pro might need fewer lenses, even-though a second body is essential. When I shoot weddings, I use a 35mm (Cron) and 75mm (Lux), The reception and pre-wedding indoor shots I usually use a 50mm Nocti.

When I shoot for myself... I shoot with anything from 16mm (Tri-Elmar) on up... and Macro as well

What would be your most used setup and why? Thanks for considering. Frank :confused:

The best would be:

Nikon D3(s) plus 24-70mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4 and maybe the 70-200mm f2.8.

Then you can get the best available pix according IQ.

Anything else is the hand of the man/woman behind the camera.

:rolleyes:

It doesn't matter if you are a professional or an amateur, you can be a good photographer anyway..and of course you can shoot with only one camera one lens, but in my experience having a second body gives you safety, .. I broke two cameras on two different weddings years ago, and I had a second body, this is what I mean shooting professionally... if I fail I won't get paid and probably I'll also have legal problems.

Sometimes I work for other companies, I can't come back and tell them: "sorry my camera broke , I don't have the pictures of the ceremony..."

On other wedding mi main lens was broken also, it wasn't a big problem,but it didn't work... I had a backup

None of these broken cameras or lens was from leica :cool:,

Of course two m9 is expensive , one m9 and one m8 will be enough in most cases...in my case two m9 would be ideal", unfortunately life is far away from being " ideal" .

Many Thanks Bo, I'll take a look to your gallery...

daniel belenguer

It doesn't matter if you are a professional or an amateur, you can be a good photographer anyway..and of course you can shoot with only one camera one lens, but in my experience having a second body gives you safety, .. I broke two cameras on two different weddings years ago, and I had a second body, this is what I mean shooting professionally... if I fail I won't get paid and probably I'll also have legal problems.

Sometimes I work for other companies, I can't come back and tell them: "sorry my camera broke , I don't have the pictures of the ceremony..."

On other wedding mi main lens was broken also, it wasn't a big problem,but it didn't work... I had a backup

None of these broken cameras or lens was from leica :cool:,

Of course two m9 is expensive , one m9 and one m8 will be enough in most cases...in my case two m9 would be ideal", unfortunately life is far away from being " ideal" .

Many Thanks Bo, I'll take a look to your gallery...

daniel belenguer

Daniel,

Fine pictures on your site.

Just a note, in portfolio/reportage, pictures 26 is same as picture 13.

Just wish you can reach "ideal", as we all wishe :)

Looks like coming M8 firmware update could include some of the M9 features, for a fee though.

Best,

Daniel

Edited by danyves

I've never narrowed my M kit to 2 or 3 lenses to shoot a wedding ... but probably easily could.

Either:

28/2 ASPH and 50/1.4 ASPH ... (I use a 50/0.95 because I live where the sun don't shine ... LOL!!)

OR:

24/1.4 ASPH, 35/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4

But a entire M9 kit with 6 lenses and SF24D flash & diffuser 3 batteries and SD cards fit in a bag that barely holds a Pro DSLR and one lens.

That's the Leica M bag I take to most weddings.

24/1.4 ASPH for sweeping W/A church interiors and over-all reception venue shots.

28/2 ASPH for candid getting ready photos, signing documents and waiting rooms images in more confined spaces.

35/1.4 ASPH for general candid images, environmental portraits and especially any group formals done with a M.

50/0.95 for super low light situations ... candle lit weddings, night time weddings, dark receptions with "mood" lighting.

75/1.4 for some candid portraits and isolating guest from crowded gatherings.

90/2.8 for bridal portraits especially outdoors (good for keeping the MOB wrinkles form getting out of hand).

(May add 135 for longer shots in church when told we can't move up front.)

Changing lenses is not an issue if you have experience shooting weddings ... you know what is next and are ready when you get there.

However, I don't shoot exclusively with a M when doing weddings. If I did, I'd need a second camera and flash.

Since the M9 was launched, it is assuming more and more of a role in my weddings and eventually may be the only one I take.

I currently shoot with this M kit and Sony A900s with all Zeiss optics in a small Think Tank roller. The Sony is no slouch ... especially with the 135/1.8.

If your eye has been indoctrinated to "rangefinder thinking" with it's forced emphasis on content, it carries over into DSLR work. You just have be wary that to much of it doesn't pollute your approach ... LOL!

Here's a M influenced Sony shot : -)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To Erfahrener Benutzer:

you have en impressive gear, one aspect to limit myself is money, but even if I had all this equipment I'd shoot with 2-3 lenses, I felt comfortable using less. When I was a canon shooter I used to shoot wedding with 17-35,24-70,100 macro, 70-200, 50/1,4 plus two bodies...then I started shooting a lot with the 35/1,4 and I discovered that 80% of my shoots were doing with that lens, I didn't force anything, it was a natural process, at first I couldn't imagine go with two or three primes, so I carried all the lenses with me, and in one year I was shooting only with three primes and doing a better job. I'm not telling you is the best way, it's only my personal experience.

It would ve nice to see your leica wedding shoots...

Daniel, many thanks, you're right..

daniel belenguer

My path was similar to Daniel's--during my time working at a newspaper (not wedding work) I carried much more gear--big SLRs, big zooms, long glass, etc. But increasingly I found that I had better results with one or two cameras and one or two prime lenses.

I have worked with photographers who could cover an event and get amazing photos with tons of gear--long lenses, remote cameras, remote strobes, different formats, etc. I admire that work--both the hard work of the shooter and the resulting photographs--but I have trouble working that way.

I think you'll find something of a bias towards the 'less is more' philosophy on this forum, because Leica cameras are ideal for photographers who want small simple kits. But what works for one photographer may not work for the next, and no one method of shooting is better than the next.

I think for the sake of this discussion 'pro' means anyone getting paid to shoot a wedding. It doesn't matter if you have a day job, if you're getting paid to shoot as a primary photographer then you need to act like a pro, have backups, etc. However you could be a Magnum photographer as an invited guest taking a few snaps and in that context you're an amateur:D

Two cameras are the absolute minimum for a wedding in my opinion. Three is better in case one dies, which did happen to me with an M8 last season. As for lenses, I do have more than the three I mentioned, and I have (at least) a 21/2.8A, 35/2A, 50/1.4Pre-A, and a Nikon kit in the trunk.

I'm still getting back in the swing of full-frame M shooting. I tend to use the same lenses for my weddings as I do for my documentary work, and based on recent shooting it seems that the 35mm sees most of the action, followed by the 28mm and 90mm.

I like this view, a professional takes responsibility for there work, an amateur is shooting for them selves.