Leica M8 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton S.C.?

jsrockit

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use the lens and don;t have any issues with it, so that is why I was surprised that someone they only liked to use it wide open...

I guess the M8 amplifies the issues with this lens if I understood correctly. I'm concerned because I'm buying an M8 and this voigtlander lens is my only lens (and I like it that way).

I've been taking a lot of test images with my new CV 35/1.4 MC with my M8 for the past two days. At first I thought I saw excessive focus shift, then I was sure I had a rangefinder alignment problem. But the latest test images are looking pretty good. Here's a shot I took this morning with the lens at the questionable f2. Focus seems accurate, or at least to me. (Focus was at the front of the glasses frame and bow.) A 6"X9" print was very acceptable. ISO 640, my norrnal work flow with LR 2.5 and CS4. Just thought I'd share it. Flange will be on the way to John Milich for milling tomorrow.

. . . David, (Burkey)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by burkey

I've also been testing my new 1.4 Nokton MC over the weekend and it looks pretty clear to me that I also have the infamous back focusing problem. Rough and ready test here.

Here's a 100% crop at f/2 - I was focusing on the duck, but the rabbit just behind is obviously much sharper.

L1000003crop.png

I wonder if I'm within my rights to insist on a refund? In Belgium retailers are usually very reluctant and will insist on sending the faulty product off for repairs for months on end... :(

Edited by ottocrat
added image

Chris,

first - the distance between the duck and the rabbit seems about what my lens wanders.. but when I look at all your samples, it almost look like the rabbit is sharper also in the first image.? "when" that lens wanders, it moves pretty dramatically, and the duck should be perfectly crisp at 1.4 and the rabbit at 2.0 / 2.8 ish. it goes pretty fast.

Still there is clearly wandering, and you should be able to say there seem to be a product with the lens, please hand me a good one. :) in the US a store is liable for selling defect product.

Thanks Bo, I appreciate the advice. I do also wonder whether there might simply be an issue with my manual focusing abilities!

Anyway, I'm going to try to return the lens tomorrow and purchase a second hand Summicron instead. Wish me luck...

ottocrat:

have you considered using the focus chart here to test your lens? Instructions on that webpage, uses a tripod. Showed my 40/1.4 to be spot on for focus at 1.4, and shift v little on stopping down. I think with shots like the stuffed animals in your example, a little movement of you with the camera or slop in your focus action could throw you off. In the tests I did I always made sure to start consistently from either infinity or MFD, then focus continuously until target appeared on, then shot. The linked chart above was meant for non-RF cameras, so I added a strong vertical line to the center...

Chris,

I own the 35 1.4 and I would swap it in a instant for a clean glass beat up 35 cron.!

Happily they let me make the exchange, unhappily the beat up 35 cron I bought instead is completely out of whack, it thinks 70cm is 1.2m, so effectively I'm sitting on a credit note waiting for the right lens to come in... On balance though I'm happy not to be stuck with a purchase I regret.