Leica M8 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Nokton S.C.?

jsrockit

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not my esperience as far as the SC is concerned. Has the same kind of bokeh at full aperture as the pre-asph Summilux 35 IMHO. The Nokton is an excellent lens if you use it at f/1.4 or f/2. Sharper than the pre-asph Summilux there with the same smooth bokeh. Lot of flare though. Also forget the lens (at least mine) at slower apertures due to focus shift though.

I've nevered used a summilux, but I have used a summicron... and that has a very smooth bokeh. I felt the nokton just wasn't that nice and I had the SC version as well.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

juppdiesel, you'd be crazy to get rid of that summicron for this lens... you basically have the best 35mm there is, why mess with perfection? The extra stop? The bokeh of the nokton at f/1.4 isn't that smooth anyway.

If it delivered the extra stop and a similar pleasing (in my eyes) bokeh for half the price then it would free some cash for an extra lens.... that was my thinking..

I´ll give it one more try. Only one.

I've nevered used a summilux, but I have used a summicron... and that has a very smooth bokeh. I felt the nokton just wasn't that nice and I had the SC version as well.

Have both lenses as well i.e. the CV 35/1.4 SC and the 'king of bokeh' 35/2 IV. Not sure if the latter has a smoother bokeh at f/2. Will do the comparo when i have some time.

• 1 month later...

In the meantime I received a much better copy of the CV 1.4/35. I tested it a bit against my Cron 35 IV and my findings are :

The CV is a bit softer at f2 than the Cron, but not very much,

CV is very prone to flare .

The bokeh seems nice to me at 1.4 and f2 and the lens it gives me the oportunity for f1.4 and some extra cash.

So : I will keep it and sell the Cron.

Jari

In the meantime I received a much better copy of the CV 1.4/35. I tested it a bit against my Cron 35 IV and my findings are :

The CV is a bit softer at f2 than the Cron...

My CV 35/1.4 SC is slightly sharper at f/2 than my Summicron-M 35/2 IV. Flares much more than the latter though. Has focus shift at f/2.8 and on contrary to the Cron.

lct, did you code yours ?

I am having trouble coding it. No matter what I paint on it, the camera won't read it.

I did code some lenses in the past just this one would not work.

Sorry i know nothing about coding. I use my M lenses with Epson R-D1 and R-D1s bodies.

Hello everyone, I just purchased a used m8 and also got a new Voigtlander 35/1.4 MC and have noticed that it has back focus starting at 2.8 and on.

Trying to figure if I got an older model or not, as someone previously mentioned that the new models have SC clearly marked in front of the lens. The Voigtlander's official site shows a picture that SC is clearly visible. However my MC has no such marking, and you couldn't tell if it's SC or MC by looking at the lens.

Does anyone have a MC which has the MC marking shows on the lens itself? (next to Nokton classic)

Thanks,

Vafa

Welcome to the forum, Vafa, and congratulations on your new camera! When you're ready I hope you'll show us some of your work in the photo forums.:)

I had the same problem with my 35mm f/1.4 Nokton, which was multicoated but I've sold it so I can't tell you whether it was marked "MC" or not but I don't remember it having that marking.

Pete.

Thank you Pete. I love M8, but it takes a bit getting used to manual focus and range finder coming from DSLR. People are very nice and friendly in this forum and I enjoy reading and learning from others. Did you sell yours due to focus problems? The dealer which I bought my Nocton is willing to exchange it (under a week since I got it). But I'm afraid I may get one worse than this, I get excellent results from f1.4 to f2. It appears that back focus on this lens is common.

I'll post some pictures once I take some worthy of posting here.

Vafa

• 2 weeks later...

interesting stuff, so the ones that are actually labeled SC or MC are newer than ones with no markings at all?

What about 1.4? Does it meter like other 1.4 lenses, i.e. shooting a blank evenly lit wall, will the shutter of an AE camera meter it as having twice the light than at f2.0?